Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
truseva
truseva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3&4 KSO
Where are Kindle 4 screensavers located?

I know the K4 hasn't been jailbreaked yet.
I have a K 3 & 4 KSO.
I haven't JB the K3 yet. As the screensavers are the thing that irritates me most, I change the screensavers with a more nice looking ones from .assets. I have to use only original screensavers - whenever I put another screensaver, no matter whether it is scaled to fit, whether it is something I made or it is an actual SO screensaver I played with, the K3 tells me to turn my WiFi on and to sync.
So now I've got a K4 and haven't registered it yet. It has some very nice screensavers and I want to give them a try on my K3 - only I can't find where are they located.
Help please?
truseva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Hi,

I have the K3 with jailbreak and SS Hack. Only then you can change the screensavers. As for the K4 I do not know if you can locate the SS without a jailbreak and hack. Maybe you look for hidden folders (change that in windows to show hidden folders and system files).
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
truseva

The first thing I did was to show all hidden&system folders and files.
No SS though.
As my Kindle is Special Offers, I get to have a system folder .assets, where there are all the offers folders - each containing a screensaver and a banner. So I can change the screensavers if I use original ones (i.e. SS from another offer).
I also searched the web for the original K3 'dead people' screensavers with no success as everyone is trying to get rid of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Enjoy the Forum
Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Where are Kindle 4 screensavers located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truseva View Post
The first thing I did was to show all hidden&system folders and files.
No SS though.
As my Kindle is Special Offers, I get to have a system folder .assets, where there are all the offers folders - each containing a screensaver and a banner. So I can change the screensavers if I use original ones (i.e. SS from another offer).
I also searched the web for the original K3 'dead people' screensavers with no success as everyone is trying to get rid of them

Thanks
i attached a zip of them
Attached Files
File Type: zip orig_backups.zip (2.45 MB, 886 views)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
truseva

Thank you very much, I downloaded them.
Unfortunately as I suspected they don't show up. I can only replace So screensavers with other SO screensavers
Apparently I'll have to JB if I want to put other SSs.
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You shouldn't have bought a SO Kindle if you wanted to replace the screensavers. I would consider that breaking your agreement with Amazon. You got the discount, you have to put up with the Special Offers.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
truseva

Thanks for the advice. My opinion is the same as many in the thread about the KSO and the 'moral' dilemma:
Amazon payed $25 for the right to show me adds. The device is mine and I can do whatever I like with it, including finding a way to watch more pleasing my aesthetic taste screensavers.
Also, I live in Europe where most of the offers aren't applicable. But this doesn't affect my opinion. The same way I can turn my TV's volume off when there are commercials, I can do that with the Kindle too if I like to.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I would say a better TV analogy is that intentionally buying the SO model to save money then jailbreaking it to get rid of the advertisements is like stealing cable TV programming. I have no issue with jailbreaking in general, but you did knowingly and intentionally buy a SO and thus getting rid of the advertisements is like breaking a contract. No honor among thieves as they say. As far the K4 you can pay the $30 fee and stop the advertisements legally and ethically.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
truseva

Not a good analogy, as the Kindle KSO is not free, you know. And I signed no contract with Amazon, too. Just bought the device, as simple as that.
Than again, please consider posting this issue in the right thread, thank you.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I think you will not get a help about this issue here...
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I would say a better TV analogy is that intentionally buying the SO model to save money then jailbreaking it to get rid of the advertisements is like stealing cable TV programming. I have no issue with jailbreaking in general, but you did knowingly and intentionally buy a SO and thus getting rid of the advertisements is like breaking a contract. No honor among thieves as they say. As far the K4 you can pay the $30 fee and stop the advertisements legally and ethically.
Well said.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Pepelusky
Pepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 79
But if you buy off Special offers from amazon nd turn it into a normal kindle, can i change the screensavers?
Pepelusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
truseva

Only after you jailbreak it. You can pay an extra $30 to turn Kindle 4 SO into a 'normal' Kindle 4, but you cannot do that with Kindle 3 SO, so jailbreak is the only option.

Tags
kso, screensavers