Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Reader Software for Windows 2000 (without internet connection)

I figured this would be the most likely part of the forum to find someone who knew if this was possible.

I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks to a place where there is no Internet. I'm not taking a laptop with me, but I want to take the Reader. A friend there has a PC with Windows 2000, but the Sony Connect software says it needs XP or Vista. I would like to be able to transfer books to and from the Reader (I was going to take a DVD full of ebooks that need sorting and/or converting).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I figured this would be the most likely part of the forum to find someone who knew if this was possible.

I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks to a place where there is no Internet. I'm not taking a laptop with me, but I want to take the Reader. A friend there has a PC with Windows 2000, but the Sony Connect software says it needs XP or Vista. I would like to be able to transfer books to and from the Reader (I was going to take a DVD full of ebooks that need sorting and/or converting).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Do you have a USB stick? If yes, put the latest installer of the Sony Connect software on it and use it on your friend's PC.

And regarding Windows 2000... you may want to check out this thread.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Thanks Alex - that's great! I'd thought about taking the Connect Reader Software on a CD or USB, but it was the Win2k issue that was the real problem. Looks like someone has already solved that one here. I'll report back on how I get on.

This is a great forum
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Thanks Alex - that's great! I'd thought about taking the Connect Reader Software on a CD or USB, but it was the Win2k issue that was the real problem. Looks like someone has already solved that one here. I'll report back on how I get on.

This is a great forum
You could download Python and whatever else is needed and also libprs500 and bring that just in case.

Of course there is always the 2GB SD card full of books you could bring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'm sure you would have mentioned if you had one, but have you thought of just bringing/buying a dirt cheap SD card and a card reader? Can just pop in your DVD, copy the files you want onto the SD card, and use them in the reader immediately after. No more OS concerns.

EDIT: Oops. Saw wolfy there had suggested something similar!

Last edited by anathema; 09-12-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: oopsie
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert