Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Outsider
Outsider began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the Amazon Kindle suitable for reading 3rd party PDF files?

I have some PDF files which I'd like to read on a mobile device. I thought about buying a Kindle, but I don't know how well that device works with PDF files. Does it read any PDF file or only those purchased through Amazon? Is it possible to upload said PDF files using a USB cable or do they first need to be uploaded to the internet and then be wirelessly downloaded onto the Kindle? What's the reading experience of PDF files like? Will they automatically resize to fit the Kindle's screen or will I find myself constantly scrolling left and right, up and down?
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most PDF file are sized for an A4 or US Letter sized page, and will therefore display very poorly on a 6" Kindle. The Kindle, almost uniquely amongst eBook readers, supports no form of PDF reflow; you have to "pan and zoom" to read a large page, which is painful in the extreme.

The Kindle DX, with its 9.7" screen, is a much better proposition for reading PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Kindle DX needs a firmware upgrade to provide better PDF features. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to happen before 2012...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Even with its current firmware, it's a heck of a lot better for PDFs than the Kindle 3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Nope.
Ok, because of it's big screen. But that's the only plus. K3 has lot more PDF features like dictionary support, annotation. I'm currently thinking about returining my Kindle DXG 'cause of those missing features and try the PocketBook 903 or some other big screen device.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
I have converted a lot of PDFs through Calibre and the Amazon email conversion process and have been pleased with the results. It's not perfect but it works well enough; haven't had any panning or font size issues.
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote