Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
Bummer this same thing just happened to my 650. Just loaded some purchased books on via Sony Library software from my laptop. Switched device back on from complete shutdown after removing it safely from laptop then kept getting DRM Protected on all my purchased books although all book thumbnails were showing on device, could not open currently reading book and completly lost my page. After some time and repeated attempts it fianally opened my currently reading purchased book. Have no idea how this has happened.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
edenNZ
edenNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Mine just did the same with a book I was reading... I am turning off the reader by doing a complete shutdown everytime instead of the sleep mode option...

I just went to the list, selected another book, went back to the first book and it took me to the first page.... I had to go back to the chapter I was via the index... I hope it was a one time thing...
Mine is doing the same thing....I think this must be a bug with the device because surely it can't be normal to be unable to power off your device without getting a DRM message blocking you returning to the book you were reading. It's so frustrating. I guess I'll just try using sleep mode but I would think you should at least be able to switch it off if you want to.
edenNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I got that dreaded message once - deleted and re-loaded the book, and never seen it since.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
edenNZ
edenNZ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader 6500
Ok will try that and update. I'm terrible at remembering my page otherwise :S
edenNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
emily08
emily08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-650
me too, bought a book from waterstones and can't read it, the DRM message keeps coming up, i've just had enough, wish i'd never bought the 650 now.
emily08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 AM   #21
pinnacle
pinnacle began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS 950, KFire (preordered)
I have been reading my new 950 today. Last time I tried opening my book I received the digital rights error message. I opened and closed one of the sample books then I was able to open my book without error. This is a firmware bug.
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #22
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Does Sony update their firmware?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony are not noted for their rapidity in providing firmware updates, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony are not noted for their rapidity in providing firmware updates, unfortunately.
Actually they can be pretty quick if there's a serious bug. IIRC, the fix for PRS-600's SD card problem came out a few weeks after the sales started.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
Puck
Puck began at the beginning.

Device: IPod Touch, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
I have been reading my new 950 today. Last time I tried opening my book I received the digital rights error message. I opened and closed one of the sample books then I was able to open my book without error. This is a firmware bug.
I encountered the exact same scenario with the second book I purchased for my reader. No problems with the first one. I'm glad to know that it's a common issue and not a defect in my unit.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 AM   #26
Lynk
Lynk began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
Another here with the same problem, 2nd DRM book that I was reading, no shut down, just charged reader via computer, had a pdf open, when I went to open book I got the message.

So annoying computer was shut off & all, had a half finished P/book to read, would have been even more annoying if I was away.

So should we all email Sony to get them to do an update....
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
CdnBookMom
CdnBookMom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo
I'm so glad I found this forum as you can count me in on this problem too. I got the Sony PRS-650 for Christmas. I'm on my 5th book and noticed this happening since the 4th book... and it seems to follow the similar pattern you guys describe... it seems to only happen when my ereader is completely shut down and I'm turning it back on.

I only ever turned off my ereader at night time figuring it would be several hours before I would go back to it (thinking it would save on the battery). But since I usually don't have to recharge while I'm in the middle of a book, I guess the best way to get around this is to just leave it in sleep mode while I'm reading a book.

It's just weird that this didn't happen during the first 3 books I read and I was doing the same thing (turning it right off at night only)??
CdnBookMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #28
Enola
Enola has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-650
I got this problem just now for the second time. Reading a book I bought from the Sony Library (with DRM), put in a bookmark to swap to another book (one I'm writing, no DRM), then decided "nah, go back to the first one", but when I tried to reopen the DRM book I got the DRM message. There was no shutdown/sleeping involved, just exiting a DRM book, going into a non-DRM book, then trying to go back to the first one.
I resolved it by plugging my PRS-650 into the computer and firing up Sony Connect, then ejecting it. But by doing so, I lost my bookmark for the book (I didn't have any notes in the book, not sure if I'd have lost those also).
Enola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
See here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125962

Firmware update to fix that.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #30
CdnBookMom
CdnBookMom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo
Thanks! I got the update yesterday when I was purchasing some ebooks! I hope that's the end of these problems!
CdnBookMom is offline   Reply With Quote