Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #31
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What makes you believe that the link is reflective LCD? It is E-INK I believe.
This very topicas you can see, and AFAICT it does not seem to be eInk.

Quote:
The lack of a light source is what prevents the color since without control of the light source you can't control the color in LCD.
Well it does not prevent magazines or paper photos to have color. Heck as printer you just asume a standard sun-like light source, its works well enough most times, except you got a real wiered light-source. I mean who looks at his familiy pictures under a blue or green lamp?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
This.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusfp View Post
Just to clarify some confusion I see in the comments.

This is not "E Ink", this is Fujitsu's e paper technology. I do not know how it differs from E Ink, but I believe it more than likely a stacked Cholesteric Reflective LCD.
ah, interesting but this is not the same reflective technology that I was refering to and in the patent it is not called a refective LCD. Here is a quote from the patent.

Quote:
US Patent 6377321 - Stacked color liquid crystal display device

A liquid crystal display device includes cell wall structure and a chiral
nematic liquid crystal material. The cell wall structure and the liquid
crystal cooperate to form focal conic and twisted planar textures that are
stable in the absence of a field. A device applies an electric field to
the liquid crystal for transforming at least a portion of the material to
at least one of the focal conic and twisted planar textures. The liquid
crystal material has a pitch length effective to reflect radiation having
a wavelength in both the visible and the infrared ranges of the
electromagnetic spectrum at intensity that is sufficient for viewing by an
observer. One liquid crystal material may be disposed in a single region
or two or more liquid crystal materials may be used, each in separate
regions even without the infrared reflecting layer. One aspect of the
invention is directed to a photolithography method for patterning a
substrate of the display. The display may also have multicolor
capabilities by including separate layers of at least two or three liquid
crystal materials that reflect visible light. A full color stacked display
may be produced with grey scale capabilities.
Looks like it is by-stable and like e-INK is reflective but still not the same. Looks very interesting.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
This very topicas you can see, and AFAICT it does not seem to be eInk.

Well it does not prevent magazines or paper photos to have color. Heck as printer you just asume a standard sun-like light source, its works well enough most times, except you got a real wiered light-source. I mean who looks at his familiy pictures under a blue or green lamp?
True enough but paper is not LCD.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #34
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
True enough but paper is not LCD.

Dale
Well passive display is like paper.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #35
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
What makes you believe that the link is reflective LCD? It is E-INK I believe. Reflective LCD cannot do colors to my knowledge but it has quick page changes, as quick as normal LCD. It basically is really is normal LCD with a mirror behind the screen instead of a light. The lack of a light source is what prevents the color since without control of the light source you can't control the color in LCD.

Dale
The original Gameboy Advance had a color reflective LCD, so its definitely possible. (Though admittedly the colors looked pretty washed out)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 AM   #36
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i still have my gameboy advance, and you can tweak it so the colors look pretty good... or maybe i'm just not picky enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The original Gameboy Advance had a color reflective LCD, so its definitely possible. (Though admittedly the colors looked pretty washed out)
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The Fujitsu display is the one based on interference colors, similar to butterfly wings, if I recall correctly.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #38
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I hope the time-to-market will be less than the original e-ink - I think I read about that for the first time in '99 or so and I only got my 505 recently, and they are STILL not officially for sale in my country.

I could totally dig some color e-ink wallpaper, so I hope mass-acceptance will make the prices drop
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #39
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i still have my gameboy advance, and you can tweak it so the colors look pretty good... or maybe i'm just not picky enough
Well, perhaps washed out is the wrong choice of words. It's just not as "vibrant" as a backlit display.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #40
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well, perhaps washed out is the wrong choice of words. It's just not as "vibrant" as a backlit display.
I'd gladly take an iLiad wished washed out colors... mustn be that vibrant to be able to mark text with color..
Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #41
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The Fujitsu display is the one based on interference colors, similar to butterfly wings, if I recall correctly.
That's Qualcomm's Mirasol displays.
http://www.qualcomm.com/products_ser...plays/mirasol/

I know that this is not E Ink, but it is being touted as having similar benefits, like image stability and presumably reflectivity. something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...le.29_displays or one of the other technologies that's not electrophoretic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote