Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Will footnote/endnote links work with the Kobo Touch?

As the subject says - I read a lot of nonfiction on my Kobo and I end up always reading the footnotes on my computer, because there's just no easy way to get there on the reader. It tortures me. Kobo, please tell me I'll be able to tap on a footnote/endnote link with the new Touch and jump right to the note... If the answer is yes I'll immediately pre-order two, one for myself and one for my father.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I asked the question to Kobo Customer Care directly
Quote:
Does it support footnotes? I mean when you have a note on a page, you can click on it and go directly to it and come back the same way or not?
and here is their reply
Quote:
The footnotes support is something we are beginning to introduce, the footnotes are being supported on our ipad/iphone app and it is something that is being looked at.
You can interpret it as it's coming but when... no real clue.
We'll have to see this directly in store I guess.

If the footnotes really matters for you (it does for me), you can try to pick up some Sony model.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Thanks for the reply, yeah that sounds like a probably-but-not-soon answer to me. After seeing what they wrote about the iPhone, I just checked my Android app and sure enough it doesn't do footnotes either.

For myself, I'll just hold off buying a new one for now. My dad needs one by mid-July for a vacation to avoid bringing five hardcovers with him, but they'll all be nonfiction so if Kobo hasn't sorted this out by then, he'll have to go Sony.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I pushed a little bit more
Quote:
I can rename my books to show the serie's name on it so this is not a big deal. I suppose you don't have an ETA about the footnotes thing...?
and their reply
Quote:
I do not know the ETA for the footnotes but please note this is something we are working on and we will aim to get these as soon as possible.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Wispy
Wispy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Rudimentary/mostly broken support is now there

Having bought a new Kobo Touch last week and played around with it, I can say that it has a kind of extremely unreliable, intermittent, and fiddly endnote support on board already—it is occasionally possible to jump to endnotes by touching them, and somewhat more often possible to jump to the corresponding spot in the text by touching somewhere near the number on the endnote. I've tried to find a trick or maneuver that makes them work systematically, but no luck: it really only works a small fraction of the time, for the moment. Still, I guess this means it's in progress...? Writing Kobo support to draw their attention to this thread and ask for a reply.
Wispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Have you tried this with the 1.9.1 version?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispy View Post
Having bought a new Kobo Touch last week and played around with it, I can say that it has a kind of extremely unreliable, intermittent, and fiddly endnote support on board already—it is occasionally possible to jump to endnotes by touching them, and somewhat more often possible to jump to the corresponding spot in the text by touching somewhere near the number on the endnote. I've tried to find a trick or maneuver that makes them work systematically, but no luck: it really only works a small fraction of the time, for the moment. Still, I guess this means it's in progress...? Writing Kobo support to draw their attention to this thread and ask for a reply.
I have found that endnote navigation works quite well with Kobo EPUBs. There are problems however with non-Kobo EPUBs. The problems are: 1) there is no visual indicator that an endnote has been sucessfully activated such as there is for Kobo EPUBs, 2) it is difficult and sometimes impossible to activate an endnote, and, 3) if the publisher of the EPUB does not use numbers and underlines to indicate endnotes they are almost impossible to distinguish from the surrounding text.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
I have found that endnote navigation works quite well with Kobo EPUBs. There are problems however with non-Kobo EPUBs. The problems are: 1) there is no visual indicator that an endnote has been sucessfully activated such as there is for Kobo EPUBs, 2) it is difficult and sometimes impossible to activate an endnote, and, 3) if the publisher of the EPUB does not use numbers and underlines to indicate endnotes they are almost impossible to distinguish from the surrounding text.
Yes, I've noticed that. It's unfortunate because many of the non-fiction books I want (with endnotes) are not available through Kobo. I'd have no choice but to sideload them. I can read them on my tablet, but many times I just want to read on eink.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Anybody tried endnotes and other links with the new firmware? With my limited testing of one sideloaded EPUB which was problematic in the past, hyperlink navigation seems to be much improved now.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Anybody tried endnotes and other links with the new firmware? With my limited testing of one sideloaded EPUB which was problematic in the past, hyperlink navigation seems to be much improved now.
Endnotes are the same for me. Even with an unnaturally big font size, touch them and the page changes.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Have you tried this with the 1.9.1 version?
That's 1.9.10. 1.9.1 makes it seem like an earlier version to 1.9.9.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Very inconsistent. The back to text often calls up the dictionary
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote