Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Sakura
Enthusiast
Sakura began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & DX
sleep mode vs turning kindle off

Is it better to let the Kindles "sleep" or shut them of ?
Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
i prefer to shut mine off rather than put it in sleep mode. I find with my kindle, if i use sleep mode, the battery only lasts a week.. but when i shut it down, it lasts 3 weeks...
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I use sleep mode only. For me with Whispernet turned off I get a week and a half to two and a half weeks between charges depending on how much reading I can get in.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I leave mine on all the time and use sleep mode. Plugging it into the charger by my easy chair once a week isn't a big deal.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I use sleep mode only. For me with Whispernet turned off I get a week and a half to two and a half weeks between charges depending on how much reading I can get in.
*whimper* I noticed fairly early on that I wasn't lasting that long, and bought a new battery even (Kindle 1). the new battery didn't help much. I'm lucky to get 3 days. I keep waiting for the next new just right one to come out so that I can get a new one.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Sakura
Enthusiast

Will the battery lifespan decline faster if the Kindle is always in sleep mode?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
*whimper* I noticed fairly early on that I wasn't lasting that long, and bought a new battery even (Kindle 1). the new battery didn't help much. I'm lucky to get 3 days. I keep waiting for the next new just right one to come out so that I can get a new one.
Since my K1 is just a backup now, I'm not sure how long it's battery is still lasting. I have replaced the battery (even though I didn't really need to). It pretty much lives in sleep mode with Whispernet on and connected to a wall charger. I wake it up once in a while to make sure my downloads have arrived (it's my master ebook library followed by my desktop computer).
Old 07-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
as opposed to what? it can't always be on, it automatically goes to sleep after I think it's 10 minutes. and of course off wouldn't be a drain at all.

Quote:
Since my K1 is just a backup now, I'm not sure how long it's battery is still lasting. I have replaced the battery (even though I didn't really need to). It pretty much lives in sleep mode with Whispernet on and connected to a wall charger. I wake it up once in a while to make sure my downloads have arrived (it's my master ebook library followed by my desktop computer).
*sigh* must be nice... oh well, eventually!
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Sakura
Enthusiast

Code:
as opposed to what?
turning the kindle off
Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Sleep vs. On for the Kindle

I always keep my Kindle 2 in sleep mode. I am constantly picking it up to continue reading and if it was in off, it would take to much to turn it back on. Like others, the only time I use Whispernet is to download and I am now in the habit of turning that off after the book(s) download. With that said, I am seeing 2-2 1/2 weeks of battery time.

Now I have heard from others that they do turn off their Kindles when going through airport security. No one knows for sure if that is the right thing to do or not, but most indicate they do this as a precaution before sending the Kindle through x-ray. Hope this helps!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
I don't know. I'm not aware of anyone testing the theory. Also Kindle 1 is under 2 years old and kindle 2 is about 6 months old. the DX just a few months. I don't know if enough time has passed to really know. Maybe some guru will have an answer.

You can do your own experiment. See how long the battery lasts if you turn it off every time and then see how long it lasts by putting it to sleep.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
krisk
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know. I'm not aware of anyone testing the theory. Also Kindle 1 is under 2 years old and kindle 2 is about 6 months old. the DX just a few months. I don't know if enough time has passed to really know. Maybe some guru will have an answer.

You can do your own experiment. See how long the battery lasts if you turn it off every time and then see how long it lasts by putting it to sleep.
that has flaws Daffy, as it is the page turns (as well as whispernet downloads) that are the real battery drains. you would have to do absolutely nothing else with the test kindles during that period of time.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
This has been covered extensively in the past.

Unless the Amazon engineers made a recent blunder - With WAN off, there should be little noticeable battery consumption difference between sleep and off. No additional power is consumed by the display system after a so-called "screensaver" is drawn.

At an abstract level - when WAN is off the on to off switch is simply a command to make the screen white and then take the system into a low power mode, instead of letting some time pass until the screensaver is drawn and the system automatically goes into the same low power state as "off".
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
that has flaws Daffy, as it is the page turns (as well as whispernet downloads) that are the real battery drains. you would have to do absolutely nothing else with the test kindles during that period of time.
It's the only real world way I can think of.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
krisk
Wizard

understood, but you get what I mean, yes?