Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #211
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have seen that a couple of times as I have changed firmware. The first time it scared me, but I just had to do something to refresh the home page, I stopped worrying.

For the recent firmware, the cover images for books on the SD card are generated on the fly each time they are needed. They are no longer stored in the main memory. And any cover images stored for them will be ignored.

The white bars down the side are probably because of how the images are generated. The device is using the first page of the book as the cover. That means if the cover image in the book does not fill the page, there will be empty stripes down the side. And the generation is done with the settings you use for reading the book. If you have non-zero margins set in you reader settings, these will be used. This is how it has been done for all firmware versions.

The only thing I can think of for "high definition full screen covers" is that you are using calibre to send the covers to the device. I don't think the driver sends the covers when sending the books to the SD card, but if it does, they will be ignored. I'll have to check what the driver does and fix it if needed.

I thought the SD card and cover related changes started with 2.1.4, but it might have been 2.2.0.

Thanks for the info Davidfor.

On the home screens I also had multiple dead taps to get to the home screen, the dreaded book behind loading and everything was sluggish on all four units. I tried uninstall to factory on one new Glo and reinstalled 2.4 with no change.

I reverted all four units to 2.1.5. The normal home screens, speed and full screen covers are all back to normal.

Since the books and the settings did not change on the downgrade it must be the firmware that caused ALL the covers on all four units to have white stripes on the sides. I use all Zero margins. On the first reboot and sleep the full cover screens were back on all units with 1.1.5. While I understand the reason for changing how the covers are generated, I think it has caused as many problems as it has solved.

I think I will stick with 2.1.5 which seems to be the most stable release since 1.9.17.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #212
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Ok, so the 2.4.0 upgrade froze up on me first time out. I actually blame myself for that one... I was messing around with the device just as it hit 100%. One quick paperclip reset and the 2nd time went smoothly.

Only real problem is that the upgrade messed up my Adobe Digital Editions authorization somehow. Tried logging out and logging in to reset the database, but no joy. And I think I've been bit by the infamous six device limit (with re-auths counting as new devices.) So now I have to talk to Adobe. Oh joy.

A pleasant surprise though... when I logged into my Kobo account it brought me to the Bookstore page (changed from the old Discover page, which I bet some folks found confusing) and it had a list of 180+ books that they had special offers on. Ended up picking up a "Richard Castle" short story for $0.37, so thanks, Kobo! The special offers page disappeared when I went to my Library (it's apparently meant more for first-timers) but for fun I tried logging out and back in yet again. Back came the special offers.

I will say that things seem a little snappier with 2.4 compared to 2.3.1. Haven't had a chance to do much testing though.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #213
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Only real problem is that the upgrade messed up my Adobe Digital Editions authorization somehow. Tried logging out and logging in to reset the database, but no joy. And I think I've been bit by the infamous six device limit (with re-auths counting as new devices.) So now I have to talk to Adobe. Oh joy.
Once you get it authorised, there is a file on the device you can save for later. Simply copying it back on is supposed to do the authorisation. I'll leave it to someone else to say where the file is. I haven't bothered to authorise mine and I can't remember the name or location. It might be ".adobe-digital-editions/device.xml" or it is the "Digital Editions" directory.
Quote:
A pleasant surprise though... when I logged into my Kobo account it brought me to the Bookstore page (changed from the old Discover page, which I bet some folks found confusing) and it had a list of 180+ books that they had special offers on. Ended up picking up a "Richard Castle" short story for $0.37, so thanks, Kobo! The special offers page disappeared when I went to my Library (it's apparently meant more for first-timers) but for fun I tried logging out and back in yet again. Back came the special offers.
With the discussion of the conf file recently, I noticed "ShowPromotions=true" in it. Changing that to false might bring the offers back. But, it might only work after an upgrade.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #214
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Everything in my .adobe* directory on the Kobo looked fine. My library book still wouldn't work though. Grrr.

Should've backed it up, but oh well. (I removed the whole directory to try to force a re-auth.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #215
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Just completed the upgrade on my Kobo Glo down here in New Zealand. I upgraded directly on the e-reader itself and the whole process took about 5 - 6 minutes. Everything went smoothly, no problems so far, everything working that I've tried. I archived a few old ebooks and that all went well. I'm a happy chap!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #216
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
Does the touchscreen seem more responsive or is it a placebo effect?
I tend to agree with you. It does feel more responsive on my Glo as well.

Before (on 2.1.5) it often happened when I tapped on some menu, that the Glo didn't pick up on it. I then had to tap and hold for it to react.

Now that rarely happens. 99% of the time it reacts to quick taps.

Don't know if it is just because the device has been rebooted though. I normally never shut down my Glo. I only use the sleep function.
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 AM   #217
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I've never had any problems with my Glo registering screen taps, but then I've got mine set up to sleep for an hour and then switch itself off. Responsiveness seems the same to me.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #218
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Ok, so the 2.4.0 upgrade froze up on me first time out. I actually blame myself for that one... I was messing around with the device just as it hit 100%. One quick paperclip reset and the 2nd time went smoothly.

I will say that things seem a little snappier with 2.4 compared to 2.3.1. Haven't had a chance to do much testing though.
I had the same problem too last night. It downloaded at 100% and it just hung there. It was late so I left it until this morning.

Paperclip didn't reset... had to plug it in. Turns out the battery died overnight.

New here, BTW. Google took me here.
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #219
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Upgrade became available yesterday 02/20/2013 for my Mini and everything went smoothly. I like the archive function. Good work Kobo.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #220
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Multiple versions of 2.4.0 available

After 'slate' mentioned this in the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread, I did a bit of quick testing.

For both the original Touch and the Glo/new Touch/Mini, there is a firmware version which shows the date as 2013-Feb-14. The URL is the same as the original URL with the directory changed to feb13 from k240

Old Glo/new Touch/Mini:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.4.0.zip

New Glo/new Touch/Mini:

Old Original Touch:

New Original Touchi:

So far, I haven't notice any changes on a Glo between the two versions. The Touch version loaded on an original Touch, The Glo/etc. loaded on my Glo and by slate's report on his Mini.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 02-21-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Typos.... I'm surrounded by an endless sea of typos.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #221
frankenhooker
frankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura aboutfrankenhooker has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo touch
My Touch updated this morning. I've read for a good five hours today as I'm off work for the week. I haven't encountered the 'wrong book cover on sleep/powered off' bug, I've opened four or five books and each had the correct cover. I also haven't encountered the 'opening to the incorrect page' bug, although I didn't suffer from that too often anyway. It's also quicker and more responsive.

I don't use shelves or series link, so can't comment on how things are there.

It might take a while for bugs to become apparent, but at present I'm happy with this update.
frankenhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #222
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
My Mini is upgrading through WIFI as I write. Now wait and see.

Edit: it seems frozen, but I'll let it process until the battery dies.

Last edited by samhy; 02-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #223
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Just updated my Glo to 2.4.0, 2/14/13 in Seattle via wifi. Like many people, I had to do it twice because the download hung at 100% the first time (paperclip reset, then went smoothly). Biggest change I notice so far is that all book covers are correct, whether at small or large size. So, yay.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #224
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenhooker View Post
My Touch updated this morning. I've read for a good five hours today as I'm off work for the week. I haven't encountered the 'wrong book cover on sleep/powered off' bug, I've opened four or five books and each had the correct cover. I also haven't encountered the 'opening to the incorrect page' bug, although I didn't suffer from that too often anyway.
Both of these are bugs that Kobo definitely fixed in this firmware version. There may still be an problem with reopening to the wrong page in 2.4.0, but, from the relatively few reports, it is probably has a different cause than in 2.3.1. Or it is an edge case that appears in uncommon circumstances.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #225
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Yet another failed update here. Stopped at 100%. Paperclip reset will not work. Managed to get it to power off, and power up - showed the "restarting" screen, but did not upgrade the software version. Trying again...
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote