Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #106
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Reg. Julia Child, I have to ask, I'm puzzled...

What is so special about it, and her? Does french cuisine have a special status in USA? Perhaps my problem is that when I think french cuisine, I think gourmet food that you get at certain expensive restaurants - or the food you get when you go to France. Perhaps it's actually Julia Child cuisine, not 'french'.

I'm not even sure what I am asking, but I'm reading about the movie and I feel 'huh?' I'm missing something The movie looks like a nice little romantic comedy to me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #107
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I wouldn't even know where to start trying to explain Julia Child, other than I grew up watching her cooking show on TV, and she's somewhat of an American icon.

I've been debating about posting this recipe for two days now. It's late, I'm on an adrenaline high from having a bat in the house (he's out now), and I finally decided "yep, I'm going to do it".

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(for those of you not familiar with this, it's basically a salad dressing, or can be used as a dip).
My version of this is a combination/modification of the ones at Pioneer Woman's and Homesick Texan's blogs.

1 cup mayonnaise (MUST be mayo, not miracle whip!)
1 cup sour cream
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
Approximately 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes (PW and Homesick use fresh cilantro or parsley - I found I like the dried flakes better, and they're much easier).
Approximately 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic. (I tried both fresh and the minced stuff in olive oil from the grocery - they both work, but one clove of fresh is PLENTY!).
Lemon zest (fresh or dried)
Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning
Cracked black pepper

Whisk buttermilk, mayo, and sour cream together. Add parsley flakes and garlic, whisk, taste for seasoning. Add other ingredients to taste - I like mine with a bit of a kick, so I add more of the Tony's seasoning. Refrigerate promptly, let sit overnight to blend flavors, (if you can wait that long, I usually can't!)
Use less or more buttermilk to get the consistency you want.
To me, this tastes much better than the bottled variety, and I've been keeping the ingredients on hand. A batch usually lasts me about three days, but I eat ranch dressing on pretty much everything except ice cream.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #108
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE AND I WANTED TO MAKE BROWNIES!!!

::tragedy::
Not just a tragedy but a crime as well. Someone should be hornswaggled and keelhauled. You are hereby authorized to find, try, convict, and punish the sadistic offender. Report back here once you're done - and you've made the brownies.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #109
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

NO CHOCOLATE IN THE HOUSE AND I WANTED TO MAKE BROWNIES!!!

::tragedy::
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Not just a tragedy but a crime as well. Someone should be hornswaggled and keelhauled. You are hereby authorized to find, try, convict, and punish the sadistic offender. Report back here once you're done - and you've made the brownies.
...and bring the brownies.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #110
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

What is so special about it, and her? Does french cuisine have a special status in USA? Perhaps my problem is that when I think french cuisine, I think gourmet food that you get at certain expensive restaurants - or the food you get when you go to France. Perhaps it's actually Julia Child cuisine, not 'french'.

I'm not even sure what I am asking, but I'm reading about the movie and I feel 'huh?' I'm missing something The movie looks like a nice little romantic comedy to me.
What you've said about French cuisine is one of the reasons Julia Child is such an icon here in the US. She was able to introduce French cuisine and to make it more accessible to people of all income levels, especially people like me who come from a middle class background where gourmet food was seen as a luxury and not something we could afford. Now gourmet food markets and grocery aisles are quite common.

Julia Child also raised the level of interest in cooking which pretty much paved the way for people like Emerill Lagasse, Rachel Raye, and other chefs who share their skills in their own cooking shows. I know I have learned to be a lot more creative in my cooking thanks to many of these and other cooking shows. My mother is a pretty good cook, but she always made pretty basic and common dishes without delving into anything fancy. I use a lot of her old recipes, but have included a great many ethnic dishes that she would never have attempted. I'm not afraid to hunt through a cookbook and try something different just for the challenge. I bless Julia Child for that.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #111
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post

essentially she brought American cuisine out of the 1800s and out of the farm kitchen. standard American cooking pre Julia consisted mainly of hearty meals containing meat, potatoes, a vegie maybe a salad (depending on the time of year) and possibly dessert. a stack of white bread was on the table along with butter for anyone that was still hungry. a typical spice cabinet consisted of less than 20 for sure, and possibly even 10 items. Julia brought adventure and other cuisines (not just French) to the American kitchen.

I think I was living in Germany when I heard a short biopic on her. she was incredibly awkward, a diplomat's wife, not particularly good looking, HUGE! she was well over 6 feet tall at a time when the average American housewife was probably 5'4. she really didn't fit in with the other diplomatic wives, and she was bored and lonely. her husband encouraged her to find a hobby and pursue it. cooking was it! very soon she was rubbing elbows with people who disdained the people who disdained her. her awkwardness followed her into the studio kitchens, and she made it ok to make mistakes in public during a time when perfection was required from a diplomats wife.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #112
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
HMMMM Brownies ::mouthfullofchocolategrin::
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #113
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait untill the rainy season starts, drive up to the front of my office then pick this tree.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #114
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Muffins Muffins Muffins

Banana Muffins

Recipe

My modifications to this recipe was adding:
Half a cup of walnuts.
A small slice of banana right in the center of the muffin to add more banana taste and a little more moisture. (by placing it in the center I mean putting half of the batter in the muffin tin, placing the banana slice in the center and then covering it with a little more banana batter so its covered)

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Recipe

For this one I used:

White chocolate chips instead of regular brown one.

Half a Cup of Walnuts roughly.

Milk with half a lime juice in it, that I let stand for a few minutes, instead of buttermilk.

Carrot cake/muffins.

Ingredients:
2 Cups of Sugar
1 Cup of Vegetable Oil
4 Eggs
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Tsp of Baking Soda
2 Tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Salt
3 Cups of Grated Carrot.

Instructions:

If making muffins halve the ingredients to make 12 muffins, and you really need the muffin paper cups because there are light and fluffy and break easily in the tin(I had to add more flour to the second batch to be able to take out of the tin.)

Mix all the dry ingredients (Flour, baking soda , baking powder, cinnamon & salt) and switch them to another bowl by sifting them through a mesh strainer a couple of times. You can also use a whisk to mix them together if you don't have a mesh strainer.

In a large bowl with a whisk or electric beater/mixer combine the sugar and Oil for a minute or two then add the eggs one by one.

Then slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine them with a spatula, once all the dry ingredients are incorporated into the mix, add the grated carrots.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.

Frosting:
1 Packet of Cream Cheese
1 Stick of Butter
2 Cups of Powdered Sugar
1-2 tsp of Vanilla
1 Cup of Chopped toasted walnuts

Mix half a cup of the walnuts with everything else together with an electric mixer until light and creamy, add more vanilla and powdered sugar if it still retains a strong Cream cheese taste.

Use the remaining half a cup to sprinkle it over the cake.

Pictures: The carrot muffins are the white ones, and while the ones with the holes in the middle did look pretty they were a pita to take out of the tin and add the frosting to without breaking them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	35129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	35130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	35131  

Last edited by Catire; 08-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #115
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I made spaghetti last night using Marcella Hazan's tomato and butter recipe. It was so good.

Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter
2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes (prepared as described below) or 2 cups canned,imported Italian plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano tomatoes (cut up with their juice)
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
salt

Put either the prepared fresh tomatoes or the canned in a saucepan, add the butter, onion, and salt and cook, uncovered, at a very slow, but steady simmer for 45 minutes, or until the fat floats free from the tomato.
Stir from time to time, mashing any large piece of tomato in the pan with the back of a wooden spoon.
Taste and correct for salt. Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This sauce may be frozen. Serves 6.

I made it with a 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes (it was what I had on hand) and served it with a Funky Llama Shiraz.

Oh, and I made some of Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownies.
http://www.blisstree.com/chocolateby...ocoa-brownies/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #116
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hmm, my mouth is watering !! thanks catire for the muffin recipes, i just might see if i can dig up an electric mixer from some generous friend to try those out (when it gets cooler). benG you're making me hungry for spaghetti and it is far too hot to simmer sauce for 45 minutes today !!!!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #117
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Easiest recipe ever.

Coconut cookies

1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 Cups of Shredded/Grated Coconut
2 Egg yolks
1 tsp of salt
1 Drop of Almond Essense (Optional, but if you do use it make sure to only use a drop or the smallest ammount possible because it will overpower all the other tastes.)

Mix everything together with a spoon or whatever is handy then place on a baking sheet (prepared with either butter and flour or with those nonstick cookie sheets i forget the name of right now) by droping small quantities of the mix with a spoon.

Bake at 175C untill they turn a light golden color(10-20 minutes or so depending on the oven) and then let them cool (and by let them cool I mean hide them from my family because they dont even wait for that ).
Old 08-31-2009, 03:39 PM   #118
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Coconut cookies

1 Drop of Almond Essense (Optional, but if you do use it make sure to only use a drop or the smallest ammount possible because it will overpower all the other tastes.)
Hmmm ... that would be an interesting way to change this into Almond cookies!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #119
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Vegetarian Chilli-ish

This isn't hot, just spicy and flavoursome

Makes 4 reasonable servings:
Ingredients
1 large onion
2 sweet red peppers
3 large medium hot chillies
10 small finger chillis (not sure what they actually are, Sainburys called them finger chillis and rated them as hot - personally I'd rate them as medium)
1 small can red kidney beans
1 can of chopped tomatoes (or one can of tomatoes and chop them )
1/2 bottle passata or similar
Some kind of mince substitute - I used a 350g pack of Quorn mince, but a mix of lentils would be nice, or mixed beans etc)
Handful fresh sweet basil leaves
Handful fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp or so of salt (smoked sea salt works well)
About 1 tbsp olive oil

Heat olive oil in large pan until shimmery.
Finely chop onion
Add onion to pan, stir and turn heat to lowest
Put lid on pan
Leave to slowly steam/fry for 7 minutes or so
Chop sweet peppers (de-seed if preferred) and add to onions
Stir
Put lid back on
Leave for another 7 minutes or so - onions should be soft, and golden-clear, peppers should be soft
Chop medium chillies - deseed if required - and add to pan - put lid back on
Chop hot chillies (if you use the small ones you may not be able to deseed them even if you want to ) - add to pan and cover
Leave for about 7 minutes
chop basil and coriander
Grind salt
Add basil, salt and coriander to pan. Stir. Re-cover
Add quorn mince/lentils/beans
Stir & re-cover
Add tomatoes, passata and water if needed to achieve desired consistency
Drain kidney beans and add to mix
Stir, turn heat up so it's bubbling nicely and cook for a further 12 minutes or so.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #120
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
As requested, Spaghetti alla Puttanesca. (With apologies to Italian speakers.)

We first found this recipe in The Top One Hundred Pasta Sauces by Diane Seed (illustrated by Robert Budwig). Not sure how available this book is (electronically or in dead-tree form), but it has some excellent recipes.

20ml or 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves finely chopped (original recipe had less, we like garlic so you might want to reduce this -- experiment!)
3 or 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
tin of chopped tomatoes (Italian, of course!)
125g / 5 oz olives, halved or sliced (again, we like olives...)
60ml / 4 tablespoons capers (we use a jar of salted capers, and wash them first)
parsley (good handful for garnish)

In a frying pan, put the olive oil, garlic and anchovies and cook until the anchovies are almost melted. Then add the tomatoes, olives and capers and cook for five minutes. Add to the cooked pasta, and garnish generously with the parsley.

I find that sauce does about enough for the pasta for two of us, probably about 250 - 300g, but the recipe says it does enough nearer 500g. I guess it depends on how much sauce you like with your pasta.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote