Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #91
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I take it you haven't bothered reading the rest of this thread. There has been plenty of changes mentioned. But, this firmware version is about the Touch. Kobo are getting it up to the same interface as the newer devices. The other devices will get this firmware to keep them in sync. That might mean it is not worthwhile sideloading it on Glo, Aura or AuraHD. But, then again, there are changes on the library list that are good.
I've read most of the thread, and it seems like most of the changes have nothing to do with reading.

I have had the AuraHD for about 6 months, and I have gone though about 4 or 5 firmware updates, and very few of the changes have had anything to do with improving the device for people who just want to read books on it.

It seems like Kobo is really big on flashy superficial changes, but not so interesting in improving on the basic reading experience.

Its a really good device, but it appears that Kobo is not willing to focus on the thing that people do 99% of the time in order to make it a great one.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #92
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Does it let you sort by series or just include series information?
The series info has to already be there. The driver can add that automatically. The "Order Series Shelves" option sets a date on each shelf record so that the "Date Added" sort will show the books in series order.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
I wasn't clear enough on that. The "mark as finished" option isn't showing up for CBRs which i've finished reading although it had that option on previous firmwares.
A change in 3.0.0 was to add a "Mark as Unread" option to the menu. This will be there if the book is being read or has been finished. And the "Mark as Finished" will only be there if the book is unread or being read. I just checked the CBR file I have. These options are being displayed correctly. Looking back at your original post, you actually did see this (you marked as unread and then read). Or am I missing where the "Mark as finished" is missing from?
Quote:
For me, CBR/CBZ files never added to the "Books read" count even though they were read page by page and a page turn on the last page sent me back to the home screen, hence why i had to use the "Mark as finished" option. That happened with every firmware i used (2.6.1b, 2.8.1, 2.10 and now 3.0.0). Kobo books and sideloaded epubs work fine though.
I don't know about CBR/CBZ in the past. But, my testing over various firmware versions showed that using "Mark as Finished" in the library lists for an epub didn't increase the books finished count. The only way to do that was to page through the book.

But, I'm not sure what you are saying. Yes, reading through the book will send you back to the home screen when finished. Marking them as finished from the library doesn't that hasn't changed. What behaviour are you missing?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #94
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
Does it let you sort by series or just include series information?

Thanks.
It sends the information and sorts shelves by series. You just set the appropriate options in the driver and then use the plugin.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #95
1drey
1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold1drey is a marvel to behold

Device: Sony PRS-505 PB360 Opus Sony PRS-350
After updating to 3.10 and applying a Metazoa patch got my Glo out of operation - the touchscreen is not working. After reboot the book is loading, I can see the default shelf, but can't control my reader with touch.
What is worse - I can't connect reader to my computer because it is impossible to pick 'connect' option.

Any ideas what can be done in this situation?

PS. made a factory reset finally. All notes and remarks lost

Last edited by 1drey; 11-16-2013 at 03:08 AM.
1drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #96
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't think this is fixed. Just tried it on my Aura HD with 5 min sleep and it still times out at just over 1 min on restart with no touch on the screen. If your sleep setting is longer it will take longer to timeout (IIRC).
You're right, the bug is still there. If my Glo goes to sleep automatically then when I wake it up it goes back to sleep again a minute later if I don't touch the screen in time. I thought it was fixed, but it must just have been that I was putting it to sleep with the slider, rather than waiting for it to sleep automatically.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:57 AM   #97
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
After updating to 3.10 and applying a Metazoa patch got my Glo out of operation - the touchscreen is not working. After reboot the book is loading, I can see the default shelf, but can't control my reader with touch.
What is worse - I can't connect reader to my computer because it is impossible to pick 'connect' option.

Any ideas what can be done in this situation?

PS. made a factory reset finally. All notes and remarks lost
Was that 2.10.0 or 3.0.0 you updated to? Also, note that there is no error checking in the Metazoa patch code to prevent you from modifying and installing the wrong version of the libnickel file on your Kobo. That mistake pretty much needs a factory reset to recover from.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #98
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch
I finally gave in and did a manual update to my Touch, it'd been sitting at 2.6.1 and looking increasingly like it had fallen off the auto-update boat. I'm very glad that I did, 3.0 is feeling so much snappier! And the new home screen's quite nice, I like it much better than the old one. Just one thing is puzzling me, though - is there a way to dismiss the "sync" tile? I don't sync via the usual methods very often, almost everything I read is sideloaded via Calibre, so for me it's just wasted space that could hold a sixth book tile.
FaceDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #99
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
I finally gave in and did a manual update to my Touch, it'd been sitting at 2.6.1 and looking increasingly like it had fallen off the auto-update boat. I'm very glad that I did, 3.0 is feeling so much snappier! And the new home screen's quite nice, I like it much better than the old one.
I am used to the tiled home screen on my Glo, but I was surprised at how well it works on the Touch as well.
Quote:
Just one thing is puzzling me, though - is there a way to dismiss the "sync" tile? I don't sync via the usual methods very often, almost everything I read is sideloaded via Calibre, so for me it's just wasted space that could hold a sixth book tile.
Unfortunately, Kobo decided that the sync tile was so important and that it shouldn't be dismissable. And that it should be in exactly the spot that would waste the most space. But, as you are a calibre user, you can banish it using my Kobo Utilities plugin. And get rid of other tiles you don't like.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #100
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
A change in 3.0.0 was to add a "Mark as Unread" option to the menu. This will be there if the book is being read or has been finished. And the "Mark as Finished" will only be there if the book is unread or being read. I just checked the CBR file I have. These options are being displayed correctly. Looking back at your original post, you actually did see this (you marked as unread and then read). Or am I missing where the "Mark as finished" is missing from?
Screenshots don't capture the long-press menus so text will have to suffice.

On pre-2.10 FW when long-pressing an Unread book i got these options:
View details
Mark as finished
Add to shelf
Delete.

When long-pressing a Finished book i got the exact same options:
View details
Mark as finished
Add to shelf
Delete

There was also a "Mark as Finished" option available while reading a book under the "More tools and settings" menu.

For CBRs, paging through the book until i was taken back to Home never increased the "Books Finished" counter in the Reading Stats page, it would just mark it as Read. I got around it by long-pressing and marking it as finished, even though the status displayed on screen was Finished. Only then would the counter increase.

On FW 3.0.0 when long-pressing a unread book i get:
View details
Mark as finished
Add to collection
Remove

Same has pre-2.10 FW, just with a couple of different names. But when long pressing a finished book i get:
View details
Mark as unread
Add to collection
Remove

The "Mark as finished" option was replaced by "Mark as unread". And paging through a CBR until i'm taken back to Home still doesn't increase the number of books finished under Reading Stats. I know that technically the options now are correct (marking a finished book as unread rather than finished) but for all purposes on 3.0.0 CBR stopped counting toward the number of Finished Books.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@Angemon: It looks like Kobo made a change I didn't notice and then reversed it.

Firstly, I don't read comics. I have one on my Glo for testing purposes. Hence, I never notices that finishing a CBR while reading one didn't increment the finished count. Sounds like a bug that should be reported to Kobo.

As far as I am concerned, being able to mark a book as unread is very good addition. And Kobo have managed the menu items correctly. I don't agree with removing the "Mark as Finished" item from inside the book, but, I know they were trying to clean up the menus,

In my testing and use over the last year or so, I have never noticed that using "Mark as Finished" incremented the number of finished books. It definitely didn't do it in earlier firmware. Earlier in the year I did a lot of experiments to see how this worked, so I would have noticed. I'll admit that I haven't used it as much lately as I either read the book to completion or change the status from calibre. But, I just had a reason to do a factory reset and ended up on 2.10.0. And yes, marking a book as finished in the library list increments the finished book count.

But Kobo have changed this for 3.0.0. My guess is that it is deliberate. It is a return to earlier behaviour. And it avoids the question of what to do when a finished book is marked as unread. Personally, I am happy with this behaviour.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #102
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceDeer View Post
I finally gave in and did a manual update to my Touch, it'd been sitting at 2.6.1 and looking increasingly like it had fallen off the auto-update boat. I'm very glad that I did, 3.0 is feeling so much snappier! And the new home screen's quite nice, I like it much better than the old one. Just one thing is puzzling me, though - is there a way to dismiss the "sync" tile? I don't sync via the usual methods very often, almost everything I read is sideloaded via Calibre, so for me it's just wasted space that could hold a sixth book tile.
you may find that it does have 7 tiles now...well at least I get 7 anyway(inc sync tile|)
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #103
FaceDeer
Connoisseur
FaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enoughFaceDeer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Unfortunately, Kobo decided that the sync tile was so important and that it shouldn't be dismissable. And that it should be in exactly the spot that would waste the most space. But, as you are a calibre user, you can banish it using my Kobo Utilities plugin. And get rid of other tiles you don't like.
Thanks! I already have that plugin, as it turns out, but of course I've never needed to dismiss things with it before. Handy!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #104
FaceDeer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohtse View Post
you may find that it does have 7 tiles now...well at least I get 7 anyway(inc sync tile|)
Perhaps it's a matter of cover image thumbnail sizes. Most of what's on my home page right now are fanfics, their cover images have a wide range of aspect ratios.

Either way, it's a nice improvement over the old home screen.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #105
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
You're right, the bug is still there. If my Glo goes to sleep automatically then when I wake it up it goes back to sleep again a minute later if I don't touch the screen in time. I thought it was fixed, but it must just have been that I was putting it to sleep with the slider, rather than waiting for it to sleep automatically.
Yes, the quick sleep bug is back when woken with the slider now, instead of just the sleep cover. So frustrating. That coupled with the fact that access to the Table of Contents takes three presses instead of two may outweigh the benefit of having the ugly box removed from the sleep screen on this firmware.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote