Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Display of ePub in different software

Hello,
I have taught myself html and css so as to know how to have my ePubs display the way I like them. I have made the formatting as simple as possible. All paragraphs are in simple <p> tags (see attached images). The ePub looks well in sigil just the way I like it however they styles are not displayed properly or not at all. I have two ePub viewers coolreader and adobe digital editions. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Look at the images attached and see all what I have done.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	105263   Click image for larger version

Name:	css.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	105264   Click image for larger version

Name:	cool reader.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	105265   Click image for larger version

Name:	adobe.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	105266  
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
It looks as though the ePub viewers mentioned do not support the pseudo-class that you are using, (:first-letter). I don't know how much support there is generally in ePub readers for these types of pseudo-classes.

You could avoid this by using normal classes and some <span> tags although it will require more work for you to achieve the formatting that you want.

Last edited by Agama; 05-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Those pseudo classes are indeed not supported. You need to do those caps the hard way with some spans. There are examples floating around here, but this one is actually not that difficult. Dropcaps however...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Those pseudo classes are indeed not supported. You need to do those caps the hard way with some spans. There are examples floating around here, but this one is actually not that difficult. Dropcaps however...
Yeah, but what about the indented paragraphs, first paragraph not indented ?? And how should I know what's not supported ?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
The paragraph indents should work - can you post a small ePub which shows this problem and I'll test it with my PRS-300, (ADE based)? I have never had problems with margins/indents with ADE. It's only the pseduo-classes, ( those starting with a colon), that are not well supported.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Shouldn't - times new roman - in the body style be quoted? This error is not found by the W3C css checker, but will probably break ADE.

Se note at http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_font_font-family.asp

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ensure that the stylesheet is validated. A missing semi-colon in your stylesheet will cause ADE to completely ignore it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
medwatt
Zealot

Here is it. Please verify it for me. I'm not using anything fancy apart from the psedu-classes.
Is it possible that the coolreader does not support css completely ?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Alibi.epub (212.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Did you try to validate it with Flight Crew?
Normally, what do you do to center a paragraph or title?
I mean, what class of paragraph are you using to do that?

With these questions in mind, I'm sure you'll find the problem .
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
Here is it. Please verify it for me. I'm not using anything fancy apart from the psedu-classes.
Is it possible that the coolreader does not support css completely ?
It is very possible, a lot of readers don't support everything that is required in the spec. Pseudo elements (at least the :first-letter and :first-line) are required and SHOULD be supported. The newer readers/apps are doing much better.

Are you making this for the public (commercial) or for your own private use??
If its for private use, then I would keep using the pseudo elements and just use a reader that supports it. If you are using an iPad I would recommend the Marvin app.
If it's for public use then you will definitely want to use the span technique mentioned above.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
It is very possible, a lot of readers don't support everything that is required in the spec. Pseudo elements (at least the :first-letter and :first-line) are required and SHOULD be supported. The newer readers/apps are doing much better.
ADE doesn't support pseudo elements, and in version 1.0 it didn't support "justify" either. Coolreader only supports a subset of the CSS spec. and AFAIK pseudo elements is not among the supported tags. So there is no way you'll get away with making first-letter formatting this way - you'll have to use span's, as others have pointed out.

There are a couple of obvious errors in the CSS, namely the missing quotes around "Times New Roman" and line 13 ends in a : instead of a ; - which wil make ADE skip the whole section.

When these are corrected, the rest should work, at least in ADE.

Besides that, Sigil's rendering is not a true picture of how the book will look, as it is based on a 3rdpart rendering module - you'll ALWAYS have to try the epub in various readers - ADE first and foremost, as this is the engine used in most readers.

Regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 05-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
ADE doesn't support pseudo elements, and in version 1.0 it didn't support "justify" either. Coolreader only supports a subset of the CSS spec. and AFAIK pseudo elements is not among the supported tags.
Just to clarify:
The ePub spec requires support of a subset of CSS. Among those elements that are required are the pseudo elements: :first-letter and :first-line
ADE does not fully support the ePub spec because it does not support those pseudo elements - and any reader/app based on ADE does not support them.

Other, newer, readers/apps - which are not based on ADE - will probably support them. Also, any reader/app that supports ePub3 will probably definitely maybe support them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
So there is no way you'll get away with making first-letter formatting this way - you'll have to use span's, as others have pointed out.
Again, ask yourself if this is for commercial or private use.
- If private, then you can definitely use the pseudo elements - just use a reader/app that supports them. I do it all the time and it works fine, but I read using the Marvin app on iPad and ePubReader Firefox plugin for PC.
- If it's for commercial use then +1 to using the spans.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
medwatt
Zealot

No they are for private purposes or sharing among friends !! Seems that microsoft word is after all not that dirty !!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
Seems that microsoft word is after all not that dirty !!
Lol...it depends on your definition of "clean". I would not call a word generated HTML anything close to being clean.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard

The standard HTML export is not clean and contains a lot of redudant and ugly code.

Tags
display, epub, sigil, software