Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
EZReader Crashed serveral Times while reading a DRMed Epub

Robert
I do not know if it has something to do with the ebook I was reading or if it has to do with the firmware. I read Steve Martini's Guardian of Lies that I got from Books on Board and after reading for serveral hours and being in the last 100 pages of the ebook my Ezreader started crashing. This happen 3 or 4 times within the last 100 pages. Is there away to have the developers look into this problem.

Chuck
PS I still love the EZreader and I know this can be fixed.

PSS the battery was showing 3 of the 4 bars.

Last edited by cvkemp; 09-07-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: and update
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Robert
I do not know if it has something to do with the ebook I was reading or if it has to do with the firmware. I read Steve Martini's Guardian of Lies that I got from Books on Board and after reading for serveral hours and being in the last 100 pages of the ebook my Ezreader started crashing. This happen 3 or 4 times within the last 100 pages. Is there away to have the developers look into this problem.
Chuck,

Have you been leaving the EZ-Reader on and locking the keyboard, or have you been shutting it off when this happens?

I've had it crash a few times and it seemed to occur sometimes when I never turned it off and locked the keyboard.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
EZReader is using a modified Jinke firmware, yes?

If so, live with it.

All the Hanlin clones are prone to crashes when using a jinkebased firmware. OpenInkpot is however less crashprone afaik.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
EZReader is using a modified Jinke firmware, yes?

If so, live with it.

All the Hanlin clones are prone to crashes when using a jinkebased firmware. OpenInkpot is however less crashprone afaik.
Why?

It can be corrected by a firmware upgrade, then why not ask for one?
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Why?

It can be corrected by a firmware upgrade, then why not ask for one?
Because it have been pointed out several times at least on the support forums for BeBook forinstance, and nothing has happened to fix these "bugs". So, no, it's not just a question about "asking" for a new firmware. Seems Jinke is more interested in adding new formats than fixing the old ones.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Maybe now that Astak has their own forum, Robertb can see these requests and submit them to Astak, who can then submit them to Jinke.

As such, I'm not sure the likelihood of Jinke or Astak to have been monitoring the BeBook forums.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Maybe now that Astak has their own forum, Robertb can see these requests and submit them to Astak, who can then submit them to Jinke.

As such, I'm not sure the likelihood of Jinke or Astak to have been monitoring the BeBook forums.
Most likely not, but the problems with crashes has been pointed out numerous times on the support forums at mybebook.com as well as on other supportforums for hanlin rebrands, and it's been like this for at least a year which is when I got my BeBook. No firmware uppdates have addressed these problems as of yet.

and Jinke is most certainly aware of it already.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do we know if Astak does any work on the firmware, or are they distribution only, and leave the firmware updates to Jinke?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This happens will reading the DRMed epub. I have not had it happen at all with PDFs. And I did have it with mobis which were not DRM. And I have not seen it with epubs that are the same and larger. I will at times do between 200 and 400 page turns in 2 to 3 hours will reading. And also what I noticed about the issue yesterday was that the Ezreader was not keeping a correct location within the ebook. I was stuck at a location that was as much at 70 pages behind where I was reading.

chuck
Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Do we know if Astak does any work on the firmware, or are they distribution only, and leave the firmware updates to Jinke?
No idea as far as Astak goes, but I do know that MOST companies that sells the Hanlin under their own name does some kind of modifications to the firmware.

But they are usually updated a while after Jinke releases a new firmware. So Jinke release a new firmware and a bit later a new firmware is released by the company that makes their own modifications to the code.

Oh, and the crashing isn't restricted to Drmed Epub, seems that crashes occur no matter what format you read in.

It seems like most crashing is related to the formating of the book itself in most cases.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

have you tried downloading the latest firmware update (even if you have the current version) and simply reflashing it? There might be something that didn't set right at the company, or when last flashed.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life

This it the latest firmware that was made available I believe on 9/1/09
I believe I will download it again and do a refresh.
Chuck
PS this looks and acts like a buffer overflow issue with the code in the Operating System.
I see this a lot in my business.
Just a hint for something for the programmers to check.

Last edited by cvkemp; 09-07-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: update to post
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
have you tried downloading the latest firmware update (even if you have the current version) and simply reflashing it? There might be something that didn't set right at the company, or when last flashed.
I've updated my BeBook with every new firmware they released, crashing is persistent

The only time I did not experience crashes was during the period I was using OpenInkpot. So I am waiting for the OI guys to get the current version ready and then I'll update to that.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
The only time I did not experience crashes was during the period I was using OpenInkpot. So I am waiting for the OI guys to get the current version ready and then I'll update to that.
I await the OIP for the v5. Hopefully they will begin the process soon.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life

I have tried OI and it has not proven to be that good for what I read and the files that I create myself. I have a lot of PDFs that I read that can not be converted due to content controls and I also create my own PDFs from word documents and by converting web page information to word then to PDFs that are formated to fit the display of the Ezreader.

Chuck