Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #91
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did make a new image that changes dutch roman BT for times new roman. I'll see if I want to risk it or not.
I'd wait -- the only time I ever crashed my 500 with a re-flash was replacing fonts, the thing is really picky on fonts, evidently.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #92
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I never installed the Sony software when I purchased my 505, wonder if I'll have to in order to install the any new firmware from Sony that comes out?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
As long as you remembered to use the correct file name and the Font Family name you should be safe. But If you use eBookLib to load your books, the fonts in eBookLib and in the Reader must be the same, otherwise you will have page formatting problems.
What program should I use to change the font name? I'm using WindowsXP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Yes, there is a CRAMFS Tools package that can be run in Command Window. I believe this is it.
Worked perfectly. Even allows me to rebuild a new image. Now I just need to figure out how to rename the font internally.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #95
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Even if it seems to rebuild the image successfully, it doesn't mean you Reader won't get bricked. One of the-ebook.org members bricked his Reader because mkcramfs didn't set proper permissions for one of the executables.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #96
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you've not used it before, there's a time-limited demo of FontCreator available for download that will let you do that.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
If you've not used it before, there's a time-limited demo of FontCreator available for download that will let you do that.
I do have the FontCreator demo. It's expired. Didn't realize this till after I renamed the font. But, the odd thing was that even thought the save option doesn't work, when I exited, it asked if I wanted to save and it saved. LOL!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd wait -- the only time I ever crashed my 500 with a re-flash was replacing fonts, the thing is really picky on fonts, evidently.
I could try the hack that does a temp font replacement to see if that works.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #99
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
I could try the hack that does a temp font replacement to see if that works.
Very good idea. If the temp font replacement works, you got yourself a good font, and you can replace it. But if it doesn't, at least the Reader won't be bricked, you just reset it.

As far as rebuilding the image, I use Cygwin and Linux, but Windows should be OK. However, we have examples of bricked Readers out at the-ebook.org. Thankfully (obelix!) there is a way to unbrick, but it involves disassembling and making a serial cable connection.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #100
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
Well I gathered up the nerves and did the flash with the icons, unified menu font and the clock. Thanks gwynevans for the step by step instructions.
Ditto for me. Took the plunge just now (really felt that clock was a must-have after reading ebooks on various PDA devices for the last 7 years!).

I must say the new menu font (and icons) give this thing a much cleaner and more professional look to it.

Thanks to all those who made this possible. Doubt I will even bother with the Sony firmware update (if/when it happens), especially if it doesn't have the clock!
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #101
Sportsman
Sportsman began at the beginning.

Device: none
I seem to be having problems with this. I unzipped the archive to an SD card, then I plug the SD card into my 505, but nothing happens. Pressing "6" just takes me to the Bookmarks menu as usual.

I'm pretty good with stuff like this usually, but I seem to be at a bit of a loss as to what's going wrong here.

Any ideas?
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #102
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
I seem to be having problems with this. I unzipped the archive to an SD card, then I plug the SD card into my 505, but nothing happens. Pressing "6" just takes me to the Bookmarks menu as usual.
If it's working you'll see an obvious non-Sony 'menu' page. You've not unzipped it into a sub-folder, have you? The root of the SD card should have the following...
Code:
bin/
files/
Sony Reader/
flash_opt.sh
libfskLoad.so
make_opt.sh
mcopy
mtools.conf
myvm2.xml
new_opt.img
readme.PRS500.txt
readme.PRS505.txt
script.sh
If it has, try reformatting the SD card to FAT/FAT16 & re-copy?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #103
Sportsman
Sportsman began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just tried it using a Memory Stick Pro Duo card instead and it worked fine. Strange. I did not format the SD card FAT16; maybe that was the issue, although my reader had been using it fine previously for book storage.

Anyway, I have the new image up and running now, looks great!
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #104
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Quote:
Maybe I need to update my Daemon Tools.
If you update daemon tools from the old freeware version you will suddenly have a trial version and need to pay to use beyond the trial period......I think I read something like that ages ago.
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What is the last free version in case I need to get it back again?

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader