Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
PCWorld: IPad Owners Prefer Ebooks to Print

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20346...ml?tk=rss_news

Quote:
More than two in five (41 percent) iPad owners use the device as their preferred way to read books, says Cooper Murphy Webb.

A survey by the copywriting firm revealed just 36 percent of Brits with iPads prefer printed books.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well DUH!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Well DUH!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Well DUH!
Double DUH!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
41% (less than half) of all iPad users prefer eBooks to printed books and PCWorld's conclusion is that ... "iPad owners prefer eBooks to print"?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
41% (less than half) of all iPad users prefer eBooks to printed books and PCWorld's conclusion is that ... "iPad owners prefer eBooks to print"?
I think it's in comparison to the 36% that "prefer printed books", though I'm not sure what the other 23% prefer. Neither? Undecided? Don't know?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
The other 23% didn't understand the question <g>
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post
The other 23% didn't understand the question <g>
Or, "Huh? What? Sorry, wasn't listening. Playing Angry Birds."

Cheers,
Marc (not playing Angry Birds. I like Gemmed )
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
23% of iPad owners don't or can't read.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
23% of iPad owners don't or can't read.
Thank god Angry Birds doesn't have any text!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I think it's in comparison to the 36% that "prefer printed books", though I'm not sure what the other 23% prefer. Neither? Undecided? Don't know?
I'd argue it wouldn't make a difference because an absolute majority is needed for the claim "iPad owners prefer ...". With less than 50% it just means "iPad owners are of different opinion about eBooks" or "eBooks are controversial amongst iPad owners".

The opinion of these 23% may be unknown, but there is one thing about them that we do know: they don't prefer eBooks to print, because if they did they would have voted so. So that leaves 41% who do prefer eBooks to print against 59% who do not prefer eBooks to print (for whatever reason). Oh PCWorld, what a quality journalism!

Just for the record: I am part of the 41% who do prefer eBooks to print. Oh, and I guess I should take a look at Angry birds? Haven't played it yet.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd argue it wouldn't make a difference because an absolute majority is needed for the claim "iPad owners prefer ...". With less than 50% it just means "iPad owners are of different opinion about eBooks" or "eBooks are controversial amongst iPad owners".
And I'd argue that you are right. I just mean to point out how they might have come to it. (Much like they do with science, many journalists seem to suck at statistics)

Quote:
The opinion of these 23% may be unknown, but there is one thing about them that we do know: they don't prefer eBooks to print, because if they did they would have voted so. So that leaves 41% who do prefer eBooks to print against 59% who do not prefer eBooks to print (for whatever reason). Oh PCWorld, what a quality journalism!
I hear you. I always role my eyes when journalists and their employers complain that people no longer appreciate quality, investigative journalism. I think they appreciate it - they're just trying to find it.

Quote:
Just for the record: I am part of the 41% who do prefer eBooks to print. Oh, and I guess I should take a look at Angry birds? Haven't played it yet.
I didn't mind when I played the Lite/free version on my iPhone. Maybe I need to have another go (because filling my time with more unconstructive things is exactly what I need in my life. ).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'd point out that the article doesn't make the claim that iPad owners prefer eBooks to printed books. It simply states the percentages everyone has mentioned. The headline of the article makes that claim. Often headlines are written by someone other than the author and are meant to grab attention. I guess they succeeded.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote