Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 06:23 AM   #1
Snomad
Snomad began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book
Creating a hierarchy from tags

Hi all,

I'm downloading reasonably consistent/uniform tags from GoodReads using a plug-in, and I was wondering if there is an easy(ish) way to use the custom column template to sort them into a hierarchy?

For example, if a book has the tags, 'Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, Fairytale, Pirate, Young Adult,' then the code would join them in a predefined way, such as 'Fiction.Fantasy.Fairytale, Fiction.Adventure.Pirate' so they would then be displayed as:

-Fiction
-Adventure
-Pirate
-Fantasy
-Fairytale

If anyone knows how to write this with these examples and briefly explain how to add further hierarchies, I'd be extremely grateful
Snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:26 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Take a look at the Tag Mapper. You might need to use Preferences > Toolbars & Menus to add it to a toolbar somewhere.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:18 PM   #3
Snomad
Snomad began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book
I'd much prefer to use a composite column rather than edit the original tags themselves, so I still have the option to filter by them if I want to. If that is the only option for this though I'd have to really way up the pros and cons of it.
Snomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:34 AM   #4
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomad View Post
I'd much prefer to use a composite column rather than edit the original tags themselves, so I still have the option to filter by them if I want to. If that is the only option for this though I'd have to really way up the pros and cons of it.
I'd be cautious about a composite column here. I've found they can do some very sad things for performance, when you get enough titles in the library. I had a library of tens of thousands that included several date fields. I created composite columns to format the dates as YYYY.MM.DD to make them more navigable, and performance absolutely tanked.

This might be solved in newer calibre, but I haven't tried this in a couple years.
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Filter? The search bar is powerful: And, Or and Not can be used to build a search.
You can save searches.
You can use them to create a VL (Virtual Library).
All without the overhead of composite/calculated column has.

I also CLEAN and re-tag as there are quite a few Authors (Agents) That over load the Tags. (5 ways to represent Science Fiction 14 ways for Magic )

I make them hierarchical . Base is the main topic. Then the category.
Science Fiction.Military (AKA Mil SF). Fantasy.Epic, Fantasy.Urban Do you really search for a specific type Fantasy creature??

I might include key characters as a tag, but not every one in the book.
Places if important (historically). If the story holds together in Anytown USA, why list the town?

IMHO 5 tags max for 95% of your library

And a simple 2nd search on spin-off series might cover the new main players in the overlaps .

BTW I do Series hierarchical also.
In many cases the spin-off is the second part. But I do have ONE custom Series column for when the spin-off gets its own life
Lean - mean will always have better performance
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, hierachical column, template creation