Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
kintrupf
kintrupf began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro (Boyue T62)
Replacement battery?

Hello,

it seems the battery in my PRS-T1 is nearly dead, it only works for at most a hundred pages or so, the device shuts off without power at 70% battery.

Are there any replacement batterys available? If so, what are the specs of the battery and where do I get one? Preferrably from somewhere in Europe oder even Germany.

I now that the battery isn't supposed to be exchanged by the user and that I have to solder the new battery in, but I'm comfortable with that
kintrupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
The battery is a 3.6Whr Li-Ion one and the Sony Part No. is A-1832-983-A; as far as I know it is not a standard form factor. It should be available from Sony, and maybe from other places, but I have not had any need to look: someone else may have a lead, but otherwise having the part number should give a lead though if not going to Sony.

In case not known how to get into the device (and no responsibility taken by me in the following ) there are a lot of internal clips inside each edge. With the reader face down on a cloth or similar on a flat hard surface use a unclipping tool (or make one from a thin piece of rigid plastic) and start at one top corner and work along the top, then one side starting from the top, other side working from the top, then the bottom.

As you say, 3 wires to solder to board.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
kintrupf

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The battery is a 3.6Whr Li-Ion one and the Sony Part No. is A-1832-983-A; as far as I know it is not a standard form factor. It should be available from Sony, and maybe from other places, but I have not had any need to look: someone else may have a lead, but otherwise having the part number should give a lead though if not going to Sony.
Thanks for the part number! Google found some stores, but the batteries are nowhere in stock and they sell for absolute ridicules prices of 70 Euro or more.
For a little more I could get a new PRS-T2!

Would it be possible to exchange the battery with a close match? The actual charging circuit should be inside the battery, so any battery that would fit inside the case and has roughly the same capacity should work, right?

What are the physical dimensions of the original battery?

Last edited by kintrupf; 05-03-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony ServicesPlus listed price in USA is a little under USD70 (approx. EUR55).

Most USB charged modern devices use a USB charge controller in the device itself; I don't know about the T1. You are strictly on your own if you want to try a battery that is not a direct equivalent, and is not something that I would recommend trying at all with Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries.

The battery should last years. A common mistake I see people referring to in forums, as if it is some form of superiority, is how long they can go between battery charges. In fact, to maximise battery life most battery chemistries, including Li-Ion/Li-Poly should be only shallowly discharged, and so frequent charging greatly increases life. Deep discharges will reduce battery life a lot compared to shallow discharges.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
kintrupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Sony ServicesPlus listed price in USA is a little under USD70 (approx. EUR55).

Most USB charged modern devices use a USB charge controller in the device itself; I don't know about the T1. You are strictly on your own if you want to try a battery that is not a direct equivalent, and is not something that I would recommend trying at all with Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries.
As far as I know the controller for the Li-Ion cells is part of the battery itself. The device only supplies the charge. The voltage of any Li-Ion battery is always the same, it comes from the chemistry of the cells. The charging voltage should be roughly the same, too.
So only the physical dimensions , the capacity and the connecting wires should matter....in therory, of course. I never would "touch" the battery itself. I solder the wires on and it either works or not.

A new Li-Ion battery with roughly the right dimensions and capacity costs around 10 EUR. I can risk that amount.
My T1 is one year out of warranty and a new original battery is way to expensive. If the home-made replacement does not work I have to by a new reader anyway.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintrupf View Post
As far as I know the controller for the Li-Ion cells is part of the battery itself. The device only supplies the charge...
Your assumptions are incorrect.

The charge profile is controlled external to the battery, not by anything in the battery but by the charge controller in the device. That is why the battery has a third terminal, it (typically) presents a varying resistance to the controller to assist it monitor the state of charge

The battery will at most only have within itself simple protection against gross overcharging (which may lead to dangerous precipitation of Li) and, perhaps, protection against over discharge which may present an unrecoverable charging condition. But the device's charge controller, as well as managing the discharged to full charge profile, will more closely manage those things.

The dangers of incorrect charging and management of Li-Ion/Li-Poly batteries are very well known (including a result such as grounding Boeing's new 787s). If you think you know what you are doing then that is up to you; the indications are that you do not. But as I said you will be on your own, including for any unfortunate consequences of the outcome.

I'll leave you to it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I had a similar problem- my battery was fully discharging in a matter of hours. Here's how I fixed it:
Fully charged device with wall charger. Once charged did a reset- paperclip + power button.
Battery life back to normal now
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'd definitely give Gilmartin's suggestion a go before you think of doing anything drastic. A full charge (not just until the charge light goes off, leave it for a long charge), and then reset, and you could even try doing that a couple of times. Unless faulty there's no way the battery on the T1 should be dead already.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
I had a similar problem- my battery was fully discharging in a matter of hours. Here's how I fixed it:
Fully charged device with wall charger. Once charged did a reset- paperclip + power button.
Battery life back to normal now

Would this wipe all the books off? If so, be sure to back up any files.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No you are only doing a soft reset, it won't wipe your books. I've just done it twice on my 350 to try and fix the PRS+ battery drain issue, and my books were fine!

A hard reset involves resetting to factory defaults and that would wipe out all your content, but there's no danger of getting the two mixed up. The latter is quite a fiddly process.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote