Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 AM   #61
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
"It seemed like a good idea until it was recalled for not working properly. I'll see how the new release goes. The upcoming Android tablets might work as well"

The new release is much better, especially with the new firmware today and the easy hacks. Having the freedom to use the Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Aldiko, and ereader (and others) reading apps is definitely nice.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #62
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
I wonder if anyone will bother to hack the Augen...)
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #63
vnzjunk
vnzjunk began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
Just picked one up Sunday morning. Manual states that it supports:

TXT
PDF
HTML
CHM
RTF
FB2
EPUB
WORD
TCR
PAML
DOC.
OPEN READER
MOBI
and etc.......whatever that is (damm ??? to english manual translations anyhow) <grin>.

Last edited by vnzjunk; 07-20-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
vnzjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #64
vnzjunk

Hack ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
I wonder if anyone will bother to hack the Augen...)
Tech support has hinted at the unit being locked.......whatever that means. Operating system is listed in the manual as Linux 2.6.24 which would tend to make me think the answer is yes. I am not sure how locked and the gpl coincide with each other, but I am sure it will all be figured out by the hackers..........and I cannot wait.

vnzjunk
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #65
vnzjunk

For many I am sure that will be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr37 View Post
I am an absolute newby to ereaders, but think , from all I have seen and read, both good and bad, that Augen's The Reader will do what I want at a very good price. I do have one question: can the battery be changed by the user??
Thanks,
jdr37
I picked one up Sunday morning when they went on sale locally for $89. My early impressions suggest a Chevy with some Cadillac features at a low end Chevy pricing.

JMHO

vnzjunk
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #66
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Lightbulb Moving The Book Discussion

Hello The Book discussers,

I asked, and it seems that if further discussion of the The Book continues in the general threads under more ebook readers, those who look from above will evaluate the enthusiasm generated by the reader and consider giving it a subforum of its own if then asked. As well, it seems to me this thread has grown far beyond the 'News' area- and is getting several hundred views a day.

I asked, and was given directions on how to start a new thread .

So, I am starting a thread in the area of the forums known as more ebook readers, and entitling it Augen The Book: Preliminary evaluations. I hope those of you who have recently acquired the device or are interested in it will come over and join the discussion.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #67
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
So, I am starting a thread in the area of the forums known as more ebook readers, and entitling it Augen The Book: Preliminary evaluations. I hope those of you who have recently acquired the device or are interested in it will come over and join the discussion.

Rebecca
Link to discussion => Augen The Book: Preliminary evaluations in the More E-Book Readers forum.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #68
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
I picked one up for $89 at Kmart yesterday. Still playing with it. Light, easy to hold. Screen auto rotates nicely while reading. Graphics are decent. UI is simple. Input with keyboard is decent. I love prev/next/home buttons on each side of the screen. Not crazy about having the earphone jack at the bottom of any device. Page turns are speedy, which is nice. Surprised it has a decent text-to-speech capability. Unless I’m mistaken, there doesn’t seem to be a night reading mode, which would be a bummer. Wi-Fi isn’t bad at all. No issues with connecting but it does need to see an SSID to connect. Not sure what the deal is there. Currently working fine on my WPA-PSK2 secured network. Most of the functions and features are what you’d expect from any reader and I’ve no complaints. Especially for $89. The included leather cover/case is a nice little touch, even if it’s a bit cheesy. The same goes for the note-taking feature. I think the big complaint I have is it’s sluggishness when it comes to web activity. As an iPad user, I didn’t expect this reader to be a tablet or web browsing device. It’s a reader. I get that. But if you’re going to put a web browser in your device and have a feature that allows you to shop for books, make sure the device and your software can bring up those pages at decent speeds (even if that means you have to resort to using a cell phone WAP browser). A browser on a device like this or the Pandigital Novel (which I also have, and it handles the web and Wi-Fi beautifully) is meant to shop for books, quickly look up something, read the news, maybe check email, etc. on-the-fly. Nothing more, realistically. My philosophy regarding readers is that the manufacturers need to get their first generation model mostly right in several key aspects in the first place if they’re going to have any success. Updates for readers are almost nonexistent. Wi-Fi/internet connectivity is a must, nowadays. The age of the readers that get their content solely via USB is gone, thankfully. I think the whole e-ink argument is also dying out with the proliferation of color LCD screens and improving technology that allows for a better user experience with them. For reading ebooks, I think this reader will do just fine. The price point is terrific and it would make a great gift item to get someone started in ebooks, if nothing else. I will test it soon for SD card integration, PDF rendering and battery life.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'the book'