Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #46
Devot3d
Devot3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G+wifi, Paperwhite 4 (special super magical Chinese edition)

Thanks for the helpful thread!

I've used the tips here to make my own Chinese-English dictionary. I converted CEdict over to the correct format, got rid of the traditional characters since I don't want them and I'm not sure how they would affect the functionality of the dictionary. I also changed the pinyin with numbers to pinyin with tone marks because I prefer tone marks.

It seems to be good, but I don't know until I try it on a Kindle and my Kindle is not working right now

So is there anyone with a Kindle 3 that could test out my dictionary for me? I'd really appreciate any help, and I'm sure other people would find a Chinese-English dictionary helpful.

just check out the attached .mobi file, set it as your default dictionary on the kindle, and let me know if it works with the instant lookup.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi MyDicttone marks.mobi (5.11 MB, 1222 views)
Devot3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #47
Newby
Enthusiast
Newby began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 Gold
I could test for you some german-german dictionary, if you would be so kind to make it
Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #48
buffboy
buffboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devot3d View Post

Thanks for the helpful thread!

I've used the tips here to make my own Chinese-English dictionary. I converted CEdict over to the correct format, got rid of the traditional characters since I don't want them and I'm not sure how they would affect the functionality of the dictionary. I also changed the pinyin with numbers to pinyin with tone marks because I prefer tone marks.

It seems to be good, but I don't know until I try it on a Kindle and my Kindle is not working right now

So is there anyone with a Kindle 3 that could test out my dictionary for me? I'd really appreciate any help, and I'm sure other people would find a Chinese-English dictionary helpful.

just check out the attached .mobi file, set it as your default dictionary on the kindle, and let me know if it works with the instant lookup.
Hey Devot3d, it didn't work for me. I can open and read the dictionary, however, the look up function does not work for me. If it makes any difference, I do have the font and ss hack for the kindle.

I'd be happy to test future versions for you as well! Keep up the good work!

edit: If anyone else has made a Chinese-English dictionary, please post it! Help us non-computer savvy users!

Last edited by buffboy; 12-16-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: asking for other users to post
buffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #49
ghewgill
ghewgill began at the beginning.

I've created a Chinese-English dictionary which you can find at http://hewgill.com/hanzidict/. Unfortunately, I haven't discovered how to make this work as an actual Kindle dictionary (that you can use to look up Chinese characters in other books). However, it works as a traditional radical-order dictionary.
ghewgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #50
wattsmart
wattsmart began at the beginning.

I followed the instructions and got my dictionary .txt file. However, when I run the python script I get the following error

Quote:
File "C:\Dictionary\tab2opf.py", line 199
print "tab2opf <Stardict->MobiPocket>"

SyntaxError: invalid syntax
I'm using a windows 7 machine if that matters...any suggestions?

Edit: I got it to work by uninstalling Python 3 and installing 2.7...

Last edited by wattsmart; 12-31-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Problem Solved!
wattsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
BeeMn
BeeMn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dont know if this post is helpful, it lists some CN-EN dict's and has instructions on how to make them the default Kindle dict

http://mrhaoji.com/blog/resources-for-kindle.html
BeeMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #52
intruder1960
intruder1960 began at the beginning.

cyrrilic dictionary

thanks for the helpful post. I'm almost there, but hit a snag:

trude@trude-laptop:~/Documents/dictionary$ python2.6 tab2opf.py ukr_eng_dic.txtfeff#NAME

#INDEX_LANGUAGE

#CONTENTS_LANGUAGE

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "tab2opf.py", line 240, in <module>

dt, dd = r.split('\t',1)

ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack

trude@trude-laptop:~/Documents/dictionary$

I'll attach the .txt file if you need to look at it.
Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip ukr_eng_dic.txt.zip (1.90 MB, 8555 views)
intruder1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #53
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Try python 2.7. Should work.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #54
mchunkat
mchunkat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am having the same problem that intruder1960 is having.

C:\mobdic project>c:\python27\python.exe tab2opf.py csw.txt

dt, dd = r.split('\t',1)

Please help. I am trying to create a custom English-English dictionary. Thanks.
mchunkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #55
mchunkat
mchunkat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sorry forgot to mention that I am using Python 2.7 on Windows XP. Thanks.
mchunkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #56
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Lots of Newbies here

Welcome all of you, to Mobileread .... Take a look around and join in ...

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #57
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchunkat View Post
Code:
    dt, dd =  r.split('\t',1)
This is telling you that (at least) one line in the file does not contain a tab. It attempts to split the string r once (1) on tab (\t) but fails, and thus can't fill (unpack to) the two "buckets" dt and dd.

Check if there is an empty line anywhere (check at the end!), or one with just a description but no keyword, or just a keyword but no description.

(Disclaimer: Python is my "native" programming language).
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #58
avid-e-reader
avid-e-reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
In the .OPF file, there is, in the <metadata>

<dc:Language>en</dc:Language>

Then in the <x-metadata> there is

<DictionaryInLanguage>en</DictionaryInLanguage>
<DictionaryOutLanguage>en</DictionaryOutLanguage>

Now to make a translation dictionary, from some other language to english, it is pretty clear I need to change the DictionaryInLanguage, but what should the <dc:Language> be set to? The source language, or English?

I think I've tried both, but still, I can't get the Kindle to look up words using my generated dictionary. So what else could be going wrong? The dictionary displays fine when I browse it.
avid-e-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #59
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
kaleissin

Welcome to Mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #60
meehrcat
meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.meehrcat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3
i'd like a Swedish-English dictionary (niche, i know), and I can't find one anywhere - the only one on amazon doesn't seem to work with the functionality it should - ie. being able to look up words in the text of an ebook. There's a GNU dictionary

http://folkets-lexikon.csc.kth.se/fo...ets_public.xml

which can provide an xml file, but it's not a comma del text file, as some of the software discussed here appears to require. I wonder if there's anyone who can point to how I might go about compiling this xml list into a functional ebook that can be used on the kindle in the same way that the english dictionary that comes free (with the K3) does. I am a complete beginner, btw.

I've got a Mac, should that make any difference, and a K3.

Advice would be super, Thanks!
meehrcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook tools, kindle tools