Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #46
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
That's weird. It works on mine, and my adaptor has got to be the cheapest kind out there... Actually, it HAS to work: I often let the Sony reader charge on my Mac after I unmounted the disk, so there is no difference between that and charging it with an adaptor... And I assume we all have the same model of reader, yeah? I mean no differences between the American and the EU version?
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #47
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Again, please specify which reader (500 or 505) you're talking about when you post. This is creating continuing confusion.

1. The PRS-500 doesn't appear to charge on USB chargers through the mini-USB connector, but will charge through the barrel connector on a PSP charger or with a PSP-USB adapter. I'm digesting this from the other posts here -- I have a PRS-500 but not with me to test.

In my experience, the PRS-500 didn't charge via USB even with the software installed on a PC.

2. The PRS-505 (I just tested it) charges (at least the charge light comes on) via the USB cable on a PC with the Sony software installed, and also on a PC without the Sony software. Notably, on the PC without the Sony software, it installed as a USB mass-storage drive so a driver was installed, just not the Sony software.

3. The charge light on the PRS-505 does NOT come on when I plug a USB cable into an iPod charger or into a 3rd-party USB charger, though the screen says it's on USB.

4. The PRS-505 will also charge on a PSP charger through the barrel connector. The "5.2V" rating is just a gimmick as near as I can tell, to get you to buy expen$ive Sony accessories. Any 5V source through the proper barrel connector will charge it. I use an iGo charger with a PSP tip as a backup charger on the road. But as Harry or someone else noted earlier in the thread, these readers need charging so rarely that I very rarely need that backup charger.

By the way, you don't have to "be brave" to try plugging in any device with a USB connector into any USB source because they all MUST use 5.0V regulated supplies, according to the USB spec. While it's possible for some deadbeat to violate this, I've never seen it happen in my truly extensive experience developing and testing USB devices.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert