Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #46
JBrondos
Edge User

Thanks once again, borisb. A thoroughly knowledgeable answer which has entirely sated my curiosity.

Yes, Santa, there IS a borisb.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #47
borisb
Edge User

Everyone knows you can't trust the Easter Bunny with batteries after all

Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #48
MVicInc
Edge User

Funny enough, after being banned 2x by admins on this forum for expressing concerns regarding the future of entourage, the non cooperation of staff with the developers I sold my full sized Edge (for a small profit at that time). I checked the forums this month, i was sure that they will go down by the time new Ipad 2 is released. Not that I am an Ipad fan, was my marketing expertise i employed here.
funny is I ordered a pocket edge, will be ideal for my daughter readings and drawings, and the price was now the correct one on amazon! I am happy with my first gen Pixel QI Adam. Shame is the end of the road for this device, but I expected this.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #49
obsessed2
Edge User

I bought one of the $199 PEs off of Amazon from a company called Worldwide Distributors. Amazon is STILL selling the PE for $362.26. The EE is going for over $400. Tiger Direct is still asking $249.

I think the biggest concerns for new buyers like myself are registering the product and support. After downloading and reading the Quick Setup Guide I think that the registration is done with two different (one for Entourage and one for Adobe) or potentially the same account (both Entourage and Adobe accounts under same user name and password). The Entourage registration process requires an email address to register your product with Entourage Systems and create a user account for purchasing books and backing up files. I think the other involves Adobe and the use of copyrighted material. According to the Quick Setup Guide if you have an existing Adobe account, you can link that account to your Pocket eDGe. During registration, touch the check box labeled “Use a different User Name and Password for Adobe. You will be prompted for that account information. I set up a separate Adobe account just in case. Most of the Registration errors on the Entourage website have to do with Network issues or Adobe so I'm assuming you really don't need to set up an Entourage account unless you plan on getting warranty support or download eBooks. The Quick Guide states If you are still unable to complete registration, please select the Skip this Step button. You will continue with Personalize Reader Screen.

Another concern I have seen is replacement battery for the PE. I wouldn't worry. If the battery lasts 4-5 years I'm sure in that time someone will have figured out how to replace the battery. Evidence of this is on the Entourage site as they mention a kit will be available for technically savvy people.

Finally, there is the concern of support. Like I said I bought my PE yesterday and I do not have it yet. So I am being proactive instead of reactive. This included downloading the Ermine beta and the Golden Update file in preparation for the worst. I also printed out in PDF format practically every useful post on this forum. I also signed up for the MobileRead forum in case the inevitable occurs here. After spending the last couple of days reading and LEARNING (thank you all) from this Forum I'm not too concerned about support because I know there is plenty of it out there.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #50
borisb
Edge User

The enTourage registration is really only necessary so that your eDGe gets firmware updates.

The Adobe Registration is necessary for reading purchased content on the eInk screen, and, it turns out, is not dependent on the enTourage registration.

Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #51
obsessed2
Edge User

Thank you. As usual the Experts on this Forum have put to rest the anxiety that some may be experiencing from buying the EE or PE. I have read at least two or three other posts where there is concern about not being able to register and use the product. Once again I appreciate your expertise and putting minds at ease.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #52
obsessed2
Edge User

Quick question. Are the eDGe updates available as a zip file for download and if so where? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #53
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Quick question. Are the eDGe updates available as a zip file for download and if so where? Thanks.
To update from a previous version to the latest Dingo, see https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=236.

To downgrade from the Ermine back to Dingo, see https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263. This is a so called "golden" update and completely wipes your eDGe clean, installing the latest Dingo version regardless of what was on it previously (older or newer).

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #54
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
I have read at least two or three other posts where there is concern about not being able to register and use the product
The concern was actually (and singularly) mine. I found today that my concern is addressed by a workaround, so that if enTourage "goes dark", we'll still be able to do the Adobe registration.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #55
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The concern was actually (and singularly) mine. I found today that my concern is addressed by a workaround, so that if enTourage "goes dark", we'll still be able to do the Adobe registration.
Oh, OK. I think someone else responded and said they didn't know if they would keep the PE they ordered and didn't have yet due to fears of not being able to register it. The fact that you can just do the Adobe registration is comforting. BTW, thanks for the OS update info. I'm downloading everything I can just in case.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #56
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the OS update info. I'm downloading everything I can just in case.
The one thing we don't seem to have is the update.zip for the Ermine beta. This may be an indicator that a finished Ermine release is being worked on and will eventually be released (with corresponding update/golden update).

Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #57
dcubed2
Edge User

Quote:
The one thing we don't seem to have is the update.zip for the Ermine beta. This may be an indicator that a finished Ermine release is being worked on and will eventually be released (with corresponding update/golden update).
Boy, I hope so. I'm going to go to Starbucks today and see if they free WiFi here (Shanghai, China). Then I can see if I can get the eDGe to connect to the update. The last time I tried, it couldn't - I think because of the Chinese Firewall. I have to leave the country to access it if it's being blocked, and that won't be until July.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #58
maspears
Edge User

today the price has fallen even lower, $199.95 new from third party. Question? Why would anyone pay more for a used PE or EE when a new one is cheaper? third party had used priced about $50.00 more.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #59
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Comforting news, good to hear!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #60
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maspears View Post
today the price has fallen even lower, $199.95 new from third party. Question? Why would anyone pay more for a used PE or EE when a new one is cheaper? third party had used priced about $50.00 more.
Not everyone can purchase (easily) from Amazon. By the time you add in the costs of using a 3rd party service to have things shipped from the US, it could be the same. Plus, if someone else will ship directly outside the US, then chances are they will take returns/service requests directly from outside the US and deal with you as their customer, not your 3rd party mail service.