Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #46
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Yes I hope they will release as many development tools as possible before they give up.
This is one thing I would definitely NOT count on. It would seem to me that with each passing day, receiving no information, the likelihood increases that everything will just fade away. I wouldn't expect any communication of an kind, and certainly not anything like software upgrades or developer tools. Best to expect nothing.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #47
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

I'm not as disappointed or surprised as I thought I would be with all the "speculations" going on. I'm just amazed that people STILL today look at me with amazement when I take out my eDGe in class to take notes during lectures and they ask me what it is, although I simply tell them it's a "Dual-Book" and nothing else. No name of company. No place where to purchase one. No features it has. Nothing but "Dual-Book".

I cannot imagine selling this product to anyone interested in purchasing one now. I mean, I'm actually trying to SELL mine as it is before "Taps" starts playing and they lower the enTourage flag! :O

I can just imagine Chubulor laughing at us all right now from his computer screen: "You mean you actually DOUBTED me?! I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #48
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
I agree with your use of the term "speculation". What disturbs me more than the speculation (which I have also participated in) is the total lack of any response by Entourage despite these public comments. This strongly suggests that everyone at Entourage is either asleep at the switch, out looking for a job, or both. To imagine that they will suddenly spring to life with a new device (Honeycomb enabled perhaps) or a major software update (Froyo?) is magical thinking.
Snow usually logs on between noon and 1-1:30 PM (EST), so we'll see then if he has a response.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #49
goodspeech
Edge User

Since it would appear that it is over for our cutting edge devices, I would ask the leadership to do just that-lead. Many people on this forum would like an alternative site to continue discussions, development and get questions answered. Rather than closing up shop with your tails between your legs do what Entourage set out to do-really good customer service. Since you are neither responding to tech questions nor providing information via the forums, you hopefully will find the time to set a new standard for the sinking ships. Help the people who continue to believe that the edge is one of the most innovative devices to hit the market find another place to collaborate.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #50
paula-t
Edge User

This is exactly what I am thinking. I bought mine for 300 USD, at ebay, second hand, perfect condition, so I am also very glad for my bargain, but the dual tablet is a GREAT idea, if they are both interconnected as in the Edge. I wonder if any of the giants will buy the company and take the idea and further it on. It is frequent that big companies absorb small ones with a positive reputation and a great innovative product because they can flow cash and hold the investments for longer than private small capitals.

It is sad to think that Edge will not continue, but it is sadder to complete blank spaces with mere conjectures, in the lack of real information. The blank spaces could be completed with absurdities and nonsense, but then it's not people's fault, isn't it...

As for the product, I have no regrets at all, and I am still exploring it in depth.

Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #51
NiaTrue
Edge User

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I'm hoping my eDGe is running optimally again soon, too.

Leslie, Paula: I “purchased ebooks from all over the place, but since they're protected by Adobe ID, it doesn't matter where I bought them (NB: “Purchased also applies to free ebooks that were obtained through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Google, and Borders). What does matter is that my Adobe ID has become disassociated from my eDGe, meaning anything protected by Adobe ID won't be readable on my eDGe--unless I'm using an app to read it on the LCD screen. That makes the ability to annotate books on the eink screen completely useless at the moment.

Guyjack, I tried calling their corporate office several times yesterday and got stuck in voicemail h***. Most odd, is that it was tier 1 tech support who suggested I try calling the corporate office after they’d been unsuccessful in reaching tier 3 tech support. I’m not positive, but I think, at one point, I even reached snow’s voicemail.

Cheyenne, I think the devices can be re-registered—just not with enTourage. I’m still in tech support h*** with the Adobe folks, but it looks as if even after your each the maximum number of registrations (6) per device, Adobe can grant extensions. If that’s the case, then registering with Adobe should ensure that you’d be able to read ebooks protected with Adobe ID. Note that I reached the max because I kept having to reregister with enTourage.

Despite this, I still love my eDGe. If worse comes to worse, I'll do a factory reset it, beg Adobe for another registration, and hope for the best.

It's true that we're all speculating (not so wildly this time, I think) on the vitality of the company, but how hard is it to maintain and manage your web presence on your own website? What I find most distressing is the idea that an otherwise very customer-centric organization has elected to abandon its main means of communicating with customers (no one reads press releases anymore unless they’re from the White House) and building community around its product. Given how active employees have been previously, it strongly suggests they have even bigger problems than trying to keep the forum active and a positive influence. And that's not a good sign.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #52
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Cheyenne, I think the devices can be re-registered—just not with enTourage. I’m still in tech support h*** with the Adobe folks, but it looks as if even after your each the maximum number of registrations (6) per device, Adobe can grant extensions. If that’s the case, then registering with Adobe should ensure that you’d be able to read ebooks protected with Adobe ID. Note that I reached the max because I kept having to reregister with enTourage.
The Registration Wizard needs to communicate with the enTourage server to register the eDGe itself. My concern is that if enTourage shuts down their registration server that the Registration Wizard will fail at that point and won't proceed to try to validate the Adobe ID and "set" it on the device.

In other words, if the eDGe has been factory reset, or transferred to another user, the inability to do the enTourage account registration may prevent the subsequent Adobe ID validation, meaning the eDGe will not be able to open DRM protected ebooks on the eInk side.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #53
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzero View Post
I think we should start an offsite dev board for the eDGe. If Entourage does tank and this forum goes down, it would be good to already have a place that we all know we can gather for the purpose of continuing development on our own. Anyone interested?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #54
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
Gee, and I have one on order!
If i were you I would cancel the order, and NOW.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #55
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
In other words, if the eDGe has been factory reset, or transferred to another user, the inability to do the enTourage account registration may prevent the subsequent Adobe ID validation, meaning the eDGe will not be able to open DRM protected ebooks on the eInk side.
If the wizard won't continue on to register the Adobe ID after an unsuccessful enTourage registration, then we're screwed. It's not like Adobe has such a wizard. And getting Adobe tech support to work on licensing/registration issues for their free software (Adobe Reader and Adobe FLash) is like pulling teeth.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #56
paula-t
Edge User

I did factory reset on my Edge last week, I reregistered and everything went fine, the Adobe separate password and all, and the wizard went smoothly. For what it worths.... and my sympathy.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #57
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Maybe you should start a thread, Gunner, so this link will have more visibility. Just as a reminder to everyone that many of us are over there, too.

I don't visit that site very often, but I do like that I can subscribe to the forum and I receive an email update daily if anything has happened in the Edge forum, so I know to go look.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #58
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
It's a great device and you'll love it. Just don't count on any upgrades or service in the future. The chance of getting either of those seems to shrink each day.
Thanks for the good thoughts. I am still excited to be getting it (with a few qualms in the background).

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #59
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
If i were you I would cancel the order, and NOW.
Well, too late to cancel, it's in transit and due tomorrow. But in any case, I'll try to check it out and register quickly. If all is well, I expect to keep it.
As it was I got a good deal, as an Amazon (US) Warehouse item.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #60
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
I did factory reset on my Edge last week, I reregistered and everything went fine, the Adobe separate password and all, and the wizard went smoothly. For what it worths.... and my sympathy.
Keep careful count of how many times you register, including for tech problems, since once you reach six of them, you'll have a problem that can only be solved by Adobe.

Guess I'll join the mobileread forum.