Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #46
kzm007
Edge User

Is there any sort of a small USB keyboard with an island-style layout, where the keys are spaced apart?

Something along the lines of the Samsung N210, perhaps?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #47
supermarkitos2004
Edge User

I have bought a usb keyboard, it is spanish. It works very good, but i can't write spanish charachters! How can I change the configuration to spanish keyboard??? Thank you

Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
roliviu
Edge User

thank you very much cheyennedonna

Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #49
10tklz
Edge User

I can't wait until eDGe supports blueteeth keyboards! I want to try this out: http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product...ducts_id=14095

Old 10-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #50
kenjennings
Edge User

Way to small for my chubby digits. I've already got this bluetooth keyboard just waiting for support to be added to Android/eDGe.

It's the same as the USB mini Solidtek keyboard I'm using now, but without the cord.

Yes, a bit more expensive than the smaller one you have. It's closer to a normal keyboard layout and size.

Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #51
Dragginz
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OncTech View Post
Don't think this was mentioned in this thread, but I have one of those squishy flexible rubber ones like this:

They're made by Adesso. They're not perfect, but here's my honest take.

Pros:
Super compact - rolls up to soda can size, or just folds over however you feel like.
Tough - not likely to break due to flexibility
Waterproof for the most part, resists spills.
Easy to clean.

Cons:
Have to be placed on a hard, stable surface to use, like a table, tray or large hardback book.
Feel of typing takes some getting used to (though not too bad, keys do move up and down)
I also have one of these and they work well though not as fast as the on-screen keyboard if you use their word prediction feature ... but much easier to use for a touch typist (even though you cannot really touch-type on the thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #52
aidren
Edge User

My thanks to Sarah and ShiningT1g3R for the heads up on the Slim Mini Chocolate (aka Chicklet) keyboard. I wasn't expecting the function keys to work at all, so am really happy with it because I can access the menus and most functions from the keyboard.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #53
ivan
Edge User

Any thoughts on this one? http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbsmotb.htm

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #54
borisb
Edge User

This one would probably work (either model) although I think the trackball might behave weirdly on the eDGe. The Android operating system doesn't really have the concept of a mouse cursor.

When looking for a keyboard, things to keep in mind are size, weight, key layout, key size, and tactile feedback (or how comfortable it is to type on).

Old 11-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #55
ivan
Edge User

Thanks for that info. Everything here has to do more than one job - keyboards are moved to several computers .

Now I have to learn about the Android OS - most of our computers run OS/2, even the netbooks but at my age I'm trying to reduce the amount of equipment I have to carry to various clients and the eDGe looks as if it would help - just have to find some useful apps to go with it like word-processing, spreadsheets, billing and so on.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #56
borisb
Edge User

Egads, OS/2? I suspect very few people on these forums know what that is

That keyboard should work fine across multiple devices in that case.

Feel free to ask any questions under the "enTourage Help" subforum about Android and using your eDGe. Many times it's a quick answer and you're all set.

For word processing and spreadsheets, you'll find "Documents To Go" under the Applications installed on your eDGe. It's designed to be compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Look here for detailed information about its capabilities. The User Manual is in PDF format, which you can read on your eDGe

For any other apps you need, like billing, you can post a question in the "Android Apps" subforum and others can recommend what they use. A good place to look for apps is SlideMe.org, which is even easier if you install the SlideMe App Market application on your eDGe.

Last edited by borisb; 11-20-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #57
ivan
Edge User

I'm afraid I have to agree with you about OS/2 being unknown to most people but we use it to run several machines and we have clients that use it because it just keeps on going - example, server up for 12 months 24/7.

I expect I will find my way around the OS in time - in fact I have to because I'll be the one teaching the youngsters how to do it, their argument is that I have the experience - at 70 odd I'd better.

Before I forget, thanks for the welcome.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #58
Paintbrush
Edge User

After reading through this thread, I am still a bit confused about what to get for my PE. It seems most of you have EE's and have been able to find keyboards that pack well with them.

I love love love how compact my PE is, but it seems keyboards, even minis, will pack weird next to it. The closest I come to something that may work is the Solidtek mini. It's more than I wanted to spend, but maybe I can shop a bit more to find it at a good price. It appears that it is roughly the size of a piece of paper folded almost in thirds or... more like a letter-sized envelope. Is that right? I have small hands, so it may be just perfect.

Anyone have any advice?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #59
borisb
Edge User

The PE is newly released, so not too many people have had a chance to try out accessories yet and post their reviews here yet. The keyboards people have recommended for the EE are already quite small, but are probably about the same size as or maybe a bit larger than the PE. Keyboards smaller than that are getting down to keys the size of those on a Blackberry...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #60
Paintbrush
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The PE is newly released, so not too many people have had a chance to try out accessories yet and post their reviews here yet. The keyboards people have recommended for the EE are already quite small, but are probably about the same size as or maybe a bit larger than the PE. Keyboards smaller than that are getting down to keys the size of those on a Blackberry...
From web research and looking through this thread, it seems Solidtek is the closest to a perfect fit. The PE's dimensions are roughly 5.5" x 7.5" closed and the two versions of Solidtek that seem fitting are KB3100 - 8.74" x 4.06" x 0.59" and KB3410BU - 8.59" x 5.91" x 0.89". I really want to see what I can do with going solely eDGe for a bit, so I'll probably get one of these soon. I really like the looks of both, though not sure how the trackpad on the second keyboard will be with the PE.