Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #31
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt526 View Post
Another question... Has anyone tried using the Matias Folding Keyboard with the eDGe?

Matias is the same Canadian company that makes the iRizer.
Answering my own question, I'm using the Matias Folding Keyboard with the eDGe and it works GREAT!

It's considerably bigger than the Targus one, but it has full-sized keys (except for HOME/INSERT/DELETE/etc) and it even has a (full sized) 10 key. The keys feel sturdy and give solid feedback for touch-typing (more so than Targus, IMHO). The only annoying thing is that it must be used on a flat surface (i.e., there's no way to lock it open if you were to use it on your lap or something), but that's my only complaint so far. Highly recommend!

EDIT: I can't seem to get the 10key to work on the eDGe (it works fine when connected to my laptop). Still a good portable keyboard, though.

Last edited by walt526; 06-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #32
Gunnerp245
Edge User

@walt526

What are the folded, for storage, dimensions?

Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #33
walt526
Edge User

10"x5"x1"

If the eDge and the keyboard are both folded and next to each other side-by-side, the length and height are practically the same.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #34
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Thanks!
Wow like the new keyboard from the 1.0 release! And the placement of the 'ALT' keys!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #35
10tklz
Edge User

Will any of these keyboards fit nicely within the cocoon case?

Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #36
kenjennings
Edge User

Which Cocoon case?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
10tklz
Edge User

Cocoon netbook case Cps350jb for devices up to 11".

Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #38
OncTech
Edge User

Don't think this was mentioned in this thread, but I have one of those squishy flexible rubber ones like this:

They're made by Adesso. They're not perfect, but here's my honest take.

Pros:
Super compact - rolls up to soda can size, or just folds over however you feel like.
Tough - not likely to break due to flexibility
Waterproof for the most part, resists spills.
Easy to clean.

Cons:
Have to be placed on a hard, stable surface to use, like a table, tray or large hardback book.
Feel of typing takes some getting used to (though not too bad, keys do move up and down)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #39
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
Cocoon netbook case Cps350jb for devices up to 11".
I'd say just about anything shorter than the width of the bag (13 inches) will fit. The picture I saw of the bag on Amazon shows a netbook with a bunch of other electronics strapped on top of it, so I expect the bag is deep enough to store one of these compact or foldable keyboards with the edge. I use a SoldTek mini USB keyboard which is 9inches by 4inches and would fit in that bag with the edge without any trouble.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #40
10tklz
Edge User

The thickness makes a difference as well. Can you please compare the keyboard thickness with that of the ac adapter?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #41
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
The thickness makes a difference as well. Can you please compare the keyboard thickness with that of the ac adapter?
The solidtek Mini USB keyboard I use is a half inch at its thickest point. The edge power brick is about 1 and 1/8 inches thick.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #42
Melkor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Not a stupid question! But you won't like the answer Typing in the Journal is currently disabled by enTourage, pending working out some bugs in the feature. Eventually this feature will be enabled via a software update.
I'm really waiting for this one - although someone, somewhere, wrote that it is impossible...
For longer texts I'd use an additional USB keyboard, but for an email, etc. E-Ink keybord would turn eDGe into a 10" netbook in an instant

Last edited by Melkor; 07-08-2010 at 01:59 AM.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #43
walt526
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor View Post
I'm really waiting for this one - although someone, somewhere, wrote that it is impossible...
For longer texts I'd use an additional USB keyboard, but for an email, etc. E-Ink keybord would turn eDGe into a 10" netbook in an instant
I think that two very different issues might be getting conflated.

1) "Typing into the Journal" eReader application from an external keyboard is currently not possible, but may be enabled in a future update (this was what Boris was referring to, I believe);

2) Imposing a touchscreen keyboard onto the eInk screen and then "Typing ONTO the Journal" has been suggested a few times, but that's technologically impossible given the limitations of the eInk screen. If the eInk were another LCD or one of those new eInk/LCD hybrid screens that just came out, then the idea might be possible (basically, you could rotate the LCD and have a self-contained netbook-type setup). But there is no way to effectively utilize a conventional eInk screen in such a manner and no amount of software engineering will be able to resolve that limitation.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #44
leo315
Edge User

I tested a small USB keyboard and the RF wireless Prolink PCBO 5304G http://www.prolink2u.com/new/products/index.php?cid=193 it works fine on the eDGe. I was really surprised to see the RF wireless dongle for the keyboard/mouse set working. Nice! Even the mouse "works", you can move the text cursor with it, still a separate mouse cursor would be better.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #45
gertjan.stoker
Edge User

Hi you all,

Just wanted You to know tht this morning I bought a wired USB keyboard. I don't see some kind of logo on It, so I gues it's som Chinese board ;-) Nevertheless I bought EURO 37 for this keyboard and It's typing like a charm. What a great improvement with the on screen keyboard.

I had some problems with the responsiveness of the keys on the on screen keyboard.

I do not type a lot but for e-mail correspondence and posting in fora a keyboard is very practical.

That advantage of a usb wired keyboard is that it does not run on batteries and the responsiveness is perfect.

Thank you all for thee insights in this thread that has let met bought this keyboard.