Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #16
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Try again, Wes. It worked fine over WiFi for me (7 minutes after you tried).

v
It worked but it says 1.9.11 9/23/11

Edit- tried it again and its stil 1.9.11 9/23/11. I will try when i get home

Last edited by wes101; 10-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Mine shows 1.9.11 (r32877, 9/23/11)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've managed to get Desktop 2.1.3, and have watched as the 1.9.12 upgrade gets downloaded.

Upon disconnect, I am prompted to do the upgrade, and, when the upgrade finishes it shows the release notes from 1.9.11.

I get the same result if I do a WiFi based sync on the Touch itself.

Ideas?
I'm having the same problem. I updated the desktop with no problem. When I added the firmware via the destop it went through all the steps (downloaded, updated, restarted) and I ended up with 1.9.11 (which was already on the Touch r32877). Tried to update via the wifi with the same results. Ditto for the desktop a second time.

For some reason I keep ending up with the old firmware...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If Kobo is doing this like it does most updates, it will be a few days before everyone gets the update offered to them. They tend to do a slowed down rollout for a day or two.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Hmm with a network trace running, I see the file being downloaded IS for firmware 1.9.11 so next challenge is to watch and see if I can see the request that gets the version info to download.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
My fourth try gets me the same firmware (and I am doing nothing more than turning on my wifi).

How very bizarre for the Kobo server to offer an update when you connect your Kobo (via wifi or desktop), take up the bandwidth to permit a download, and not have it actually be the update but an older copy of the firmware.

Maybe by tomorrow things will be different...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #22
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Yeah I'm getting 1.9.11 too.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've told staff.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #24
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Well, so far 1.9.12 has turned out to be an absolute piece of crap for me. I've installed it twice, and had two completely separate sets of bad experiences with it.

The first time, I simply attached to Kobo Desktop, let it download the update, and added a few new books to my Touch. Then ejected, and let it do the upgrade. After that, I couldn't read more than about two pages in any book, because the Touch would suddenly show the "folded corner" in the upper right, and return to the home screen. Then I'd have to switch back to the book I was reading, and repeat the experience after one or two page turns. After 15 minutes of that, it was time for a factory reset and re-installation of 1.9.10.

The second time, I decided to break things into smaller steps, so I re-registered the Touch, re-installed 1.9.12, and then ejected and let updates happen. I then added a few books, and re-inserted my SD card. I started browsing my library, and everything seemed fine. However, if I put it aside for a few seconds, it completely locks up. It ignores all forms of tap or swipe, and presses of the home button. I have to slide the power switch, and let it sort itself out.

Therefore, I'm now back to 1.9.10, and everything is stable as it used to be.

I don't know if the problem is because of the SD card, although that didn't cause me any trouble in past releases. I keep the books I'm waiting to read on the main memory, and I store older books on the SD card. It's a 16GB card, so there's plenty of room to build my entire library onto it.

Under 1.9.10, I suffer from the "dead tap" problem, but I've gotten used to that. As well, my SD-based books don't always show up correctly on the home screen, but I have no problems accessing them from the Library list or the Shortlist, so I can take that as just a quirk of handling.

As a software developer, I have to say that it certainly doesn't seem like much QA was done on this release. I thought the new tunable-tap locations were a good thing, but they certainly seem to be a potential cause of the dead screen that I get.
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markemark View Post
Unfortunately, the microSD problem remains in this release. Too bad because there are some nice improvements. Back to 1.9.10.
I've been waiting for this release to fix exactly that problem. My SD card worked fine with all previous firmwares UNTIL .11 so does you KT work with the SD card after reverting to .10?

Why won't the KOBO programers just fix the bugs that already exist before adding any new features that introduce new bugs adding to the previous ones that still aren't fixed!

I am about to go away for a few months with my wife and we want to get her an eReader and I'd be glad to get another KT if they would just get the thing working properly again. At this point we are more likely to go with a nook or kindle because this is just getting ridiculous.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #26
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I was prompted to update as well but when I disconnected from the computer it still shows .11 on both the desktop and on my Kobo Touch.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #27
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I've been waiting for this release to fix exactly that problem. My SD card worked fine with all previous firmwares UNTIL .11 so does you KT work with the SD card after reverting to .10?

Why won't the KOBO programers just fix the bugs that already exist before adding any new features that introduce new bugs adding to the previous ones that still aren't fixed!

I am about to go away for a few months with my wife and we want to get her an eReader and I'd be glad to get another KT if they would just get the thing working properly again. At this point we are more likely to go with a nook or kindle because this is just getting ridiculous.
Hmm.. I wonder if there is link between the size of the SD card and the problem.. Personally I have had no SD problem with .11 or .12.. I have an 8GB SanDisk class4 microSDHC. What does everyone else have? Please also state whether you have the SD problem or not.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Yep. Went through the update process and it's still on 1.9.11... Annoying. Oh, well, as long as it didn't actually screw anything up, I'll be happy - 1.9.11's been great so far, except for being unable to delete content from the microSD card without hooking up to the computer and doing so via Calibre or the filesystem, of course.

EDIT: My microSD's a 4GB with nothing special about it. Only problem I have related to it is the one I just mentioned.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #29
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
so does you KT work with the SD card after reverting to .10?
Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This may be more your problem than a Kobo problem. The micro-sd card works just great in my reader and has done so for .11 and .12
The card worked fine from the initial release until .11 and now .12. I revert back to .10 and it works again. I'm not seeing how its my problem?
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite

What card are you using? Do you have anything odd on it? That is the kind of thing I was thinking about. This is not to say that if the Touch doesn't "like" a particular kind of card it isn't also a Kobo problem, of course. It would be nice to know if there is some sort pf pattern or commonality for those instances in which it is a problem. I am using a Lexar 4 GB MicroSD card.

Last edited by taming; 10-13-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: more information