Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
zevv
zevv began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Question E-book stores with sony format for non US, non Windows

Here's my problem: I own a sony reader, and I love it. I'm not an US citizen (europe), and I don't (and don't intend to) run Windows on my computer. This combination of circumstances pretty much rules out all chances of buying my e-books at the sony online store.

There's a lot of good books available with expired copyrights (gutenberg et al), but still I'd like to get some recent books for my sony of course.

Can anybody recommend me a store that:

- sells to europe, specifically the Netherlands
- has books in a format supported by the sony reader

Thank you very much !
zevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Baen (http://www.webscriptions.net/)
Fictionwise (multi-format books).
Any store that sells books in .LIT format, which is easily convertible to HTML and then LRF.

Last edited by igorsk; 06-05-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevv View Post
Here's my problem: I own a sony reader, and I love it. I'm not an US citizen (europe), and I don't (and don't intend to) run Windows on my computer. This combination of circumstances pretty much rules out all chances of buying my e-books at the sony online store.

There's a lot of good books available with expired copyrights (gutenberg et al), but still I'd like to get some recent books for my sony of course.

Can anybody recommend me a store that:

- sells to europe, specifically the Netherlands
- has books in a format supported by the sony reader

Thank you very much !
To be honest, without Windows you are well and truly screwed. All the tools you need to get from LIT to LRF are Windows based. I suggest you install Windows just so you can purchase and deal with lIT format books. Also, if you install WIndows, you can install the Connect software and take advantage of the $50 book credit from the Connect Store. To be honest, to take the most advantage from your Reader, you should have Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
ConvertLIT is available for Linux, although I don't know how well it works compared to the Windows version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
ConvertLIT is available for Linux, although I don't know how well it works compared to the Windows version.
The problem is that you need a Windows machine to be able to download DRM LIT files as you need MSIE and a registered MS Reader. And then you need Windows to be able to run CLIT 1.8 in order to strip the DRM. So you still need a Window's machine in order to be able to purchase DRM inflicted LIT format books.
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually in the past I've had success getting IE and the msreader woring with wine in linux and the linux version of clit does successfully convert DRMed lits. Ofcourse getting wine apps working is not for the faint of heart.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
zevv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, without Windows you are well and truly screwed. All the tools you need to get from LIT to LRF are Windows based. I suggest you install Windows just so you can purchase and deal with lIT format books. Also, if you install WIndows, you can install the Connect software and take advantage of the $50 book credit from the Connect Store. To be honest, to take the most advantage from your Reader, you should have Windows.
That's a pity - I would first need to buy windows, just to make use of the $50 credit ... I guess I should install this stuff at somebody elses computer and see if this credit applies to non-US citizens as well.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
That's a pity - I would first need to buy windows, just to make use of the $50 credit ... I guess I should install this stuff at somebody elses computer and see if this credit applies to non-US citizens as well.

Thanks for the tip!
All you do when you install the Connect software is to check the box that says you are a US resident and then you'll get the credit. And you'd be able to make very good use of the tools for Windows as well like Book Designer that you cannot under Linux. I have no idea how well it works with Wine. But you could always try.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What JSWolf said.

A lot of folks around here have done exactly that, zevv, and it works just fine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
zevv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
What JSWolf said.

A lot of folks around here have done exactly that, zevv, and it works just fine.
Ok, I'll try to do that anyway, can't let the 50 bucks just sit there.

But still, I have a nasty feeling about all this. It's not that I'm against paying for my books of course - that's just fair. But why-oh-why am I, against my will, *forced* to get the complete Microsoft with that, just to get to read that books?

I really wish DRM was just about protecting the rights of the authors...

Thank you for all the replies,

- sad zevv -
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I really wish DRM was just about protecting the rights of the authors...
Even mostly about that would be a major improvement.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
There are other sources in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052

Some sell formats you can use directly via memory card.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote