Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
cefarix
cefarix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question Brightness control too bright

I just got an Aura HD (they shipped me the wrong color btw...) and the light level on the lowest setting (1%) is still too bright for me. Is there a way to set it to a lower level? My previous ereader was the Kindle Paperwhite 2 and its second-lowest light level was just right for my bedtime reading. I tried out the nightmode mod but I prefer the normal black-on-white text.
cefarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
In the developers corner there was a thread discussing a mod to get lower brightness from the Glo, but it was a solder solution. It involved soldering in another resistor. I'm tempted, but rarely ever read in bed so left it alone.

I've wondered a few times that it seems they skewed the brightness levels with an eye toward maximum brightness, but with a reflective technology like e-ink one must wonder why(you don't really need those levels of brightness in a bright outdoor setting as the display can use the ambient light reflectively) unless it was to maximize the "whiteness" of the background... Maybe it had to do with the display appearing to flash or the LEDs not starting up, or the like at lower brightness levels... but the resistor hack to lower the brightness was reported to exhibit none of that behavior.

Last edited by TechniSol; 05-04-2014 at 01:49 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #3
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Don't forget there is a nightmode software hack that is super easy to install. It inverts the screen so it's white-on-black instead of black-on-white. Much easier on the eyes during nighttime reading:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162

I also wonder why Kobo would skew the reading light so towards the bright end.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cefarix View Post
I just got an Aura HD (they shipped me the wrong color btw...) and the light level on the lowest setting (1%) is still too bright for me. Is there a way to set it to a lower level? My previous ereader was the Kindle Paperwhite 2 and its second-lowest light level was just right for my bedtime reading. I tried out the nightmode mod but I prefer the normal black-on-white text.
Are you on an older firmware? I think there was a firmware change that may affect/help this?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
cefarix
cefarix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Don't forget there is a nightmode software hack that is super easy to install. It inverts the screen so it's white-on-black instead of black-on-white. Much easier on the eyes during nighttime reading:
Yes, I've already tried that, but the contrast is greatly reduced because the black background actually becomes a dark gray with the lighting on.

Also, I realized I *do* have the right color.. Espresso. It's just so dark it looks the same as black except under the best of lighting conditions. In all the online images it looks so much brighter!
cefarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cefarix View Post
Yes, I've already tried that, but the contrast is greatly reduced because the black background actually becomes a dark gray with the lighting on.

Also, I realized I *do* have the right color.. Espresso. It's just so dark it looks the same as black except under the best of lighting conditions. In all the online images it looks so much brighter!
A similar thing happened to me - it wasn't until I bought a black case and fitted it that I realised the black Aura HD I had bought was expresso!
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
I mean - does it matter that the backgound is dark gray rather than black? The end result is still a hell of a lot less photons hitting your eyes.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
maybe it's faulty?
if I set mine to 1% I'd struggle to tell if it was even on !
I do read with a low powered bedroom light on also - an 8 watt tube) but I have the Aura HD in the 20-30% range.

does it get noticably brighter/ weaker if you adjust in say 10% steps?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brightness, control, level, light