Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
TenaciousB
TenaciousB began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
PDFs on eInk question (page turning)

Hey, everyone. I just got a Pocket eDGe as part of the woot sale a few weeks ago; I'm a graduate student who was hoping to use it to read journal articles (PDFs) on the eInk side. However, I've noticed something pretty obnoxious; if I have the view set to "Fit to Width" (or any of the other non-"Fit to Page" zoom options), when I switch pages, it stays at that position on the page (e.g. if I'm at the bottom of page 1 and switch to page 2, it displays the bottom of page 2, not the top).

This is really annoying, since every time I change pages, I have to go to the top of the page. Is there any way to get around this? ("Fit to Page" is too small, and due to the nature of the PDFs, using "PDF Reflow" results in a bit of a mess.)

Sorry if this question has already been answered; it seems like a pretty obvious issue, but I took a quick search through the forums and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance!
TenaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Other PDF readers use the LCD like Doc To Go, ezPDF, Religo among others.

See also, The Great Big List of Android eBook Apps.

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 10-22-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add link.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
TenaciousB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Other PDF readers use the LCD like Doc To Go, ezPDF, Religo among others.

See also, The Great Big List of Android eBook Apps.
I have ezPDF...how do you get it to show up on the eInk side? I can only get it to appear on the tablet side.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousB View Post
I have ezPDF...how do you get it to show up on the eInk side? I can only get it to appear on the tablet side.
you could use lcd2eink application from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143791

or you could try the new (for edge) APDFViewer from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154124

Both at the moment require root access, but allmine (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152337) might be updated soon to remove root requirement for APDFViewer
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
TenaciousB

lcd2eink isn't working very well on my eDGe (doesn't seem ideal for this anyway, yet), and APDFViewer won't even let me turn pages.

I guess I'm stuck for now...really frustrating, since the issue seems so simple. Too bad there's no way to reconfigure the buttons on the eInk side to control scrolling up or down, as that would at least avoid me having to keep the stylus out just to scroll a document.
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
lcd2eink isn't working very well on my eDGe (doesn't seem ideal for this anyway, yet), and APDFViewer won't even let me turn pages.

I guess I'm stuck for now...really frustrating, since the issue seems so simple. Too bad there's no way to reconfigure the buttons on the eInk side to control scrolling up or down, as that would at least avoid me having to keep the stylus out just to scroll a document.
Hm, I assume you tried "Reflow PDF" option of built-in reader on the documents you need to read? Just in case you forgot.
[EDIT] Never mind, just noticed in original post that you did

Last edited by vldmr; 10-22-2011 at 02:11 PM.
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Hey, everyone. I just got a Pocket eDGe as part of the woot sale a few weeks ago; I'm a graduate student who was hoping to use it to read journal articles (PDFs) on the eInk side. However, I've noticed something pretty obnoxious; if I have the view set to "Fit to Width" (or any of the other non-"Fit to Page" zoom options), when I switch pages, it stays at that position on the page (e.g. if I'm at the bottom of page 1 and switch to page 2, it displays the bottom of page 2, not the top).

This is really annoying, since every time I change pages, I have to go to the top of the page. Is there any way to get around this? ("Fit to Page" is too small, and due to the nature of the PDFs, using "PDF Reflow" results in a bit of a mess.)

Sorry if this question has already been answered; it seems like a pretty obvious issue, but I took a quick search through the forums and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance!
You are seeing the same problem that everyone with a small e-ink screen sees.

I assume you have technical publications as PDF documents that you wish to read. If they have tables, diagrams, formulae and similar items then you will have the problems you are seeing with reflow.

Forget the two methods of trying to get pages on to the e-ink screen - they won't do what you want, at least in their present state of development and reading your PDFs on the LCD screen rather defeats the object of what you are trying to do.

There MAY be a way to view your documents on the e-ink screen in a flowed manner. I say may because it doesn't work in all cases but we have had reasonable first time success with it. What we do, when we have to, is convert the PDF to ePub using Calibre. In a lot of cases this is sufficient to let us read the document at a fixed zoom level, although some diagrams may displaced from their positions in the text. Our reason for doing so, even with my full sized edge, is to be able to read circuit diagrams easily.

All I can say is, try the conversion of PDF to ePub - if it works you are up and running, if it doesn't you have still learned something.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
TenaciousB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
You are seeing the same problem that everyone with a small e-ink screen sees.

I assume you have technical publications as PDF documents that you wish to read. If they have tables, diagrams, formulae and similar items then you will have the problems you are seeing with reflow.

Forget the two methods of trying to get pages on to the e-ink screen - they won't do what you want, at least in their present state of development and reading your PDFs on the LCD screen rather defeats the object of what you are trying to do.

There MAY be a way to view your documents on the e-ink screen in a flowed manner. I say may because it doesn't work in all cases but we have had reasonable first time success with it. What we do, when we have to, is convert the PDF to ePub using Calibre. In a lot of cases this is sufficient to let us read the document at a fixed zoom level, although some diagrams may displaced from their positions in the text. Our reason for doing so, even with my full sized edge, is to be able to read circuit diagrams easily.

All I can say is, try the conversion of PDF to ePub - if it works you are up and running, if it doesn't you have still learned something.
Just tried it, with no success (makes it look worse with less flexibility).

As I said, the issue isn't with the size of the screen; it's with the implementation of the software. If pressing the "Next Page" button made it go from the bottom of page 1 (where I had scrolled to) to the top of page 2, I'd be set; what it's doing is going from the bottom of page 1 to the bottom of page 2. Other than that, the PDF is perfectly readable without needing reflow.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just tried it, with no success (makes it look worse with less flexibility).

As I said, the issue isn't with the size of the screen; it's with the implementation of the software. If pressing the "Next Page" button made it go from the bottom of page 1 (where I had scrolled to) to the top of page 2, I'd be set; what it's doing is going from the bottom of page 1 to the bottom of page 2. Other than that, the PDF is perfectly readable without needing reflow.
I did say MIGHT

In fact it is a problem of screen size. On my full sized edge I get a full page per screen that I can read easily without having to zoom. The only time I zoom is to see clearly component values on circuit diagrams which does not require turning pages.

When I get time tomorrow I'll have a read of the PE manual and see if there is some setting that will do what you want. I'm thinking there may be a button on the bottom menu bar that will take you to the top of the page just as there are the page turn buttons on that bar - at least on my EE there are.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
ezPDF will not show up on the e-ink. You can read PDFs on the e-ink side but with the screen being so small it is very difficult (even when zoomed) and PDF Reflow leaves a lot to be desired. I use ezPDF and I don't have this problem. What version are you running? There are a couple of ways to turn pages in ezPDF. Under Settings and Page Scrolling Type you can choose to either change the page with horizontal or vertical scroll or do not change the page with scroll. If I use do not change with scroll and get to the bottom of the page and touch the little arrow in the bottom right it changes the page with the top of the next page displayed. The latest version of ezPDF can be found here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....0-id4479.html

Also, here is a link to Repligo Reader:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....1-id4015.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
TenaciousB

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I use ezPDF and I don't have this problem. What version are you running? There are a couple of ways to turn pages in ezPDF. Under Settings and Page Scrolling Type you can choose to either change the page with horizontal or vertical scroll or do not change the page with scroll. If I use do not change with scroll and get to the bottom of the page and touch the little arrow in the bottom right it changes the page with the top of the next page displayed. The latest version of ezPDF can be found here:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....0-id4479.html

Also, here is a link to Repligo Reader:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....1-id4015.html
Really? How were you able to get ezPDF to show up on the eInk side?
Old 10-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #12
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
It's impossible. There are only three variants. The first one - default PDFviewer
The second one - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154124 APDFViewer, developed by our geniuses.
The third one - you run ezPDF and then - lcd2eink app (also developed by our geniuses, thanx to javese). https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143791
That's all, try all variants and chose for youself the best one.
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
ezPDF does not work on the ink side. I'm sorry I misread your post. I thought the page turning problem you were talking about was in ezPDF. I agree the page turning problem on the e-ink side ia a major annoyance (plus PDFs don't display all that great on the e-ink) which is why I almost exclusively use ezPDF. Sorry for the confusion on my part. It's hell getting old.

Last edited by obsessed2; 10-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
acgand
acgand began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
hello guys, i have a problem. i live in brasil and my edge is from the usa. when i try to download an android app, the screen shows: you do not have acess to this page;
what should i do?
acgand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
ivanjt
Guru

Depending on what app you are trying to download you could try to download the apk to your computer and then install it by using a USB stick, or you could try lookin on alternative sites as listed in one of obsessed2's excellent stickies.