Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #16
tarataqa
Our Lady of the Internet
tarataqa began at the beginning.

Device: NookColorCM7;Kindle3SO;iTouch 1G;LG Optimus V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book-Lover View Post
What makes you think that you're the only one who wants those books? I assure you, you aren't.
Every ebook license that a library gets has to be paid for. One borrower at a time per license and the price per license is pretty steep. Plus some licenses run out after a set number of uses, and have to be repurchased.
Libraries, like all other public entities, are strapped for funds. I'm sure they would accept a donation if you'd care to make one.

My guess is that you don't know what you are talking about.
LOL, thanks for your reply. I was simply saying that everyone is very gung-ho about getting an ereader that does library books for free books to read.

When I looked at the 2 libraries on Overdrive in my area, the selection was lousy and the available books were even worse.

How much are the licenses? You would think public libraries would get a discount since they are not Amazon/B&N, but I guess Overdrive and authors wanna get paid too.

My advice was (and still is) go look up your local library on Overdrive before you get all excited about any ereader that allows library books. YMMV
tarataqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
Sorilla
Sorilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPod, Android phone
My library has such a LOOOONG waiting lists for e-books! ;(
Sorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #18
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorilla View Post
My library has such a LOOOONG waiting lists for e-books! ;(
Most of them do. Mine has also had very long waitlists for regular books as well. Patience is a virtue.

I have 59 ebooks on my wishlist at the Chicago Public Library, so I can say that they have plenty that I am interested in.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarataqa View Post
How much are the licenses? You would think public libraries would get a discount since they are not Amazon/B&N, but I guess Overdrive and authors wanna get paid too.
What I've heard from librarians is they pay retail or more for every book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for it. There are very few books of interest that can be found on overdrive.com. For amazon isn't just a feature checkbox move.

My guess is that it will take a while for this to work in Canada
There are a lot of good eBooks available from Overdrive via libraries. I'm sorry you don't like books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #21
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Interesting. The waiting lists at my library aren't that bad. I currently have 3 books in my possession (Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown and The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell) and the longest I waited was a week. Sure the NY best seller books are much longer (I'm #65 for The Confession by John Grisham) but since I was #81 3 weeks ago, I'd say it's going fast enough (they have 3 copies).

Last edited by odiakkoh; 05-12-2011 at 10:18 PM.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #22
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
If there were no titles of interest on Overdrive then there wouldn't be waiting lists of 80-some people.

I've found our library staff more than receptive to suggestions on good books and authors to add. They also make a real effort to divide the purchases up every month between various genres and age groups ... a certain number of kid books, a certain number of Young Adult, some Romance, some Sci Fi, some non-Fiction ...

However, they're fighting publisher availability left and right. MacMillan says no, Harper Collins wants to limit it to 26 check-outs etc etc. It makes their job tough.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
If you don't like the ebooks your library has, you could check other libraries for the cost of obtaining a card. For instance, the Ottawa Public Library has a very good selection of ebooks and a membership can be purchased for $50/yr for non-residents. Other libraries may have a lower fee, which should be weighed against wait times.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
If there were no titles of interest on Overdrive then there wouldn't be waiting lists of 80-some people.

<snip>
However, they're fighting publisher availability left and right. MacMillan says no, Harper Collins wants to limit it to 26 check-outs etc etc. It makes their job tough.
Agreed. The problems of availability comes back to the limits of budget and the limits of certain publishers. Budget is something that we all live with, except for a very few, and I find they are doing their level best to balance that across genres and age groups. But the publishers' behaviour is just plain annoying. And will only hurt their sales and profits in the long run. (And, I suspect even in the short run.) I now make book buying decisions based, in part, on who the publisher is, and what their eBook attitude is. I used to make those decisions solely based on who the author was.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
My local library has a great selection. I put Chasing Fire on hold last Thursday (I was #25). Today I am #11. It usually doesn't take more than a couple of weeks for the book to be available. I am really looking forward to using my Kindle for library books.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, kindle, library books