Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My media library is 853.20 GB, 8,768 titles, 26,853 files ('format' files, covers, and opfs), the database 7,367,680 bytes. That's ~100MB per title.

It lives on a 4TB WD Black spinning platter drive. I moved the database to an empty 256GB SATA SSD drive, made no discernible difference to library performance, so I moved it to my 512GB PCIe M.2 system SSD, start times went from ~8 secs to ~4 secs, otherwise no discernible difference.

I figure the most I would gain from keeping my library databases on a high end SSD would be a minute or two a day. Needless to say I won't be bothering.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Curious, large PDF manuals?

My metadata.db is 30MB for a 2.5GB library (if I keep just EPUB format, then library is only ~500MB).
No, that's only 1.5MB/book, roughly, 80% EPUB. My metadata.db is about 600MB. So assuming the DB size goes up linearly with the number of books (and the average book size stays the same) that would make a 6TB library 3.5 million books and a 7.2GB DB.

So I rounded up to 7.5 GB.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
No, that's only 1.5MB/book, roughly, 80% EPUB. My metadata.db is about 600MB. So assuming the DB size goes up linearly with the number of books (and the average book size stays the same) that would make a 6TB library 3.5 million books and a 7.2GB DB.

So I rounded up to 7.5 GB.
Ah, I had thought you meant 300K as in size of metadata.db. Didn't realize you meant 300,000 books. Lol, it was 1AM local when I posted. Synapses weren't firing up properly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My media library is 853.20 GB, 8,768 titles, 26,853 files ('format' files, covers, and opfs), the database 7,367,680 bytes. That's ~100MB per title.

It lives on a 4TB WD Black spinning platter drive. I moved the database to an empty 256GB SATA SSD drive, made no discernible difference to library performance, so I moved it to my 512GB PCIe M.2 system SSD, start times went from ~8 secs to ~4 secs, otherwise no discernible difference.

I figure the most I would gain from keeping my library databases on a high end SSD would be a minute or two a day. Needless to say I won't be bothering.
Thank you for the info.

I've probably got very unusual usage patterns. I don't use Calibre GUI on a daily basis but when I do use it, it's to do mass import, metadata changes (from local data) and copying. I think I spend like 2-4 hours working with the library. Even most of my conversions are I/O limited. Hence, I actually do store my full library on SSD and not just metadata.db. I tried moving my library (well, Calibre Portable) to HDD and iirc, it doubled my processing time.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have a library that is 26 gigs. Browsing is as fast as a smaller library. Searches are slower obviously due to the large amount of data to go through. The searches aren't terribly slow, just not instantaneous. There are about 76,000 files in this library of 26,000 or so ebooks. Hope that helps. I honestly didn't even know this library was that big until I tried to fit it on a partially filled flashdrive to move to my laptop. Wow!

Note: I don't have a lot of pdfs, but there are lots of illustrations and tables amongst the non-fiction.

Last edited by Tarana; 05-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have a library that is 26 gigs. Browsing is as fast as a smaller library. Searches are slower obviously due to the large amount of data to go through. The searches aren't terribly slow, just not instantaneous. There are about 76,000 files in this library of 26,000 or so ebooks. Hope that helps. I honestly didn't even know this library was that big until I tried to fit it on a partially filled flashdrive to move to my laptop. Wow!

Note: I don't have a lot of pdfs, but there are lots of illustrations and tables amongst the non-fiction.
You need to use a crossover USB cable or a Network connection (a crossover network cable would need static IP's set. A lot of fussing) if you are pushing that much data. Even on a 100Mbps network, that is going to take time as the drive is probably 3 or 6Mbps, but it is a LOT faster than flash
FWIW, I still have some 'Laplink' cables, just no Parallel ports on any PC later than a P4
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You need to use a crossover USB cable or a Network connection (a crossover network cable would need static IP's set. A lot of fussing) if you are pushing that much data. Even on a 100Mbps network, that is going to take time as the drive is probably 3 or 6Mbps, but it is a LOT faster than flash
FWIW, I still have some 'Laplink' cables, just no Parallel ports on any PC later than a P4
There are some really fast flash drives nowadays. I got ones that can do 100+MByte/s sustained a few years back and were faster than HDD at random 4K writes (SanDisk Extreme).

Don't use them much anymore though. I've got spare 128-500GB SSDs from when I upgrade internal SSDs to 1TB so I just use those paired with a $5 SATA to USB adapter for moving files between PCs sneakernet style. Significantly faster than HDDs particularly with small files.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still use flash drives, so I'll have to take a look at the fast ones for transferring large lots of data. I wonder if they have a higher failure rate? My secondary backups previously were kept at sister's house, but now I'll be using a safety deposit box at the local bank. I can fit 3 or 4 WD passports and lots of flash drives plus important papers in one box for a nominal annual cost. Of course, my sister's house was free, but she is moving out of state. Fire can happen to anybody - the only data and family photos my cousin still has from their house fire are the flashdrives he had left out in the car and the photos I had in my possession.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:30 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
some small but large capacity flash have a bad rep. for overheating.
if one survives the initial bulk write, and does not burn your fingers when you take it out, it should be fine.

many are not suitable for leaving always connected
for backup for a safe deposit box though, I would get a small USB (pocket sized)portable hard drive, 500Gb is dirt cheap.
with those, if the controller fails, and it's not encrypted, it may be possible to break it open and read the drive via a caddy or adaptor.

ps when I was looking into home safes and stuff, I found various fireproof A4 wallets cheap on ebay, whether a flash drive in one of those would survive a fire? . could be worth looking at . search for fireproof document storage

PPS, as previous post says: SSD. if like me you paid silly money for 128GB SSDs to use in PCs, back when they were the only affordable size, they are now almost worthless, so pop one in a caddy or adaptor and copy all to that. UGreen make an excellent fast tool-free USB3 caddy .

Last edited by stumped; 05-02-2019 at 01:33 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard

Here's my cousin's experience with fire. Even if the fire doesn't touch something, the heat will generally ruin the storage. His computer, hard drives and flashdrives in his computer area were never touched by fire or soot, but most of it either didn't work or had so many errors it was unusable. Printed photos, on the other hand, did fairly well once the soot was taken off it. So offsite is better than fireproof containers.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #26
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Printed photos, on the other hand, did fairly well once the soot was taken off it.
Years ago there was an article in Adobe's magazine about archiving and I was expecting them to say that Acrobat was the best but they said given how media formats change, CDs delaminating, etc. that, with proper storage, paper was still the best for hundreds and thousands of years.

If you're archiving on a hard drive, dvd, bd, or whatever, it would be prudent to pull them out once a year and verify that you can still read them, and the files on them.

Several iterations ago of rebuilding my system I bought a motherboard that had only EIDE hard drive connections; it was just as SATA was taking off. Then a few years later I rebuilt and (foolishly) didn't check that the new motherboard had EIDE connects and it only had SATA so I couldn't reconnect my old drives. And finding a supported PCIE EIDE card was difficult.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 AM   #27
PowerOffliner
PowerOffliner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage+Signature
Thumbs up "How many books in a library?"

Thank you for all your answers and tipps.

I have three libraries with daily updates.
All titles are combined with meta content.
About 60.000 titles in one library it takes more time to access, change meta data, delete single titles which re double, etc. .
So I established a new library to get more speed.

The system: Panasonic CF-54, Windows 10, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 evo 1 TB SSD. Backup: Corsair GTX USB 1TB (USB-C).
PowerOffliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count of books, library books