Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
Glottis
Enthusiast
Glottis began at the beginning.

Device: H2O, Poke 2
Poke 2 - Downgrading Firmware?

Hi, got a quick question if anyone has time.

Might work, might not, but I'm utterly sick to death of the battery drain on this thing. It seems to have gotten worse in recent months so could be related to the firmware update.

There's nothing else left to try and I run it with basically every single thing disabled at this point. It still needs charging more than my phone.

So, is there any way of downgrading to an old version?
Glottis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I've got a Poke3 3.1 and I (practically) never charge it.
Do you leave the WiFi on?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Maybe do a hard reset? If that doesn't work, maybe even upgrade the FW. You might also have a bad book on there causing battery drain, though I've never seen this happen on an Onyx. Also set power mode to battery saver if you haven't already. It freezes background apps. You might have an app in the background sucking power. You can look in battery usage to see what is using all the juice, or you can download an app to record battery usage by app. How old is your Poke? It's possible the battery is getting exhausted. Do you read a lot? That can wear the battery out. I actually just replaced the battery on Nova gen 1.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
Glottis
Enthusiast

Hi,

Wi-fi off
Bluetooth off
Google Services off
Latest firmware - which is why I want to try downgrade
All available background apps frozen
Battery usage shows only screen time -which is a fraction of the drain

It had decent battery life when I got it and it isn't that old. The only change has been the firmware.

I can't even turn it fully off as when it's shutdown it freezes on the ONYX logo (on restart) and only boots if I plug it into power - and that takes a good few minutes as well.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
You can try to see if something is churning with ADB logcat, but this is the 21st century, there is always stuff churning.

Mine is pretty quiet when it's sitting on a reading page, which is where it usually is.

I have a bunch of Onyx stuff disabled, that certainly doesn't hurt.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
Glottis
Enthusiast

I'll have to look at the ADB thing, see if I can get that working.

I should also mention that it isn't a consistent drain. Sometimes a 24h period will see it drop 10% which is more than reasonable, but I've also seen it drop from 68% to 04% in the same time of not being used.

I have no idea what is going on with it
Old 11-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #7
booxnote
booxnote began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Note Air
Hi, there, unfortunately, you can not downgrade the firmware after you updated it. For the battery drain issues, please get in touch with our service team at https://help.boox.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Thank you
booxnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottis View Post
I'll have to look at the ADB thing, see if I can get that working.

I should also mention that it isn't a consistent drain. Sometimes a 24h period will see it drop 10% which is more than reasonable, but I've also seen it drop from 68% to 04% in the same time of not being used.

I have no idea what is going on with it
Sounds somewhat similar to issues which I was formerly experiencing on my Note Pro. Changing the battery resolved the issue. It was relatively easy to do.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote