Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #946
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
You could try Diesel on this link. It is "temporarily unavailable" but might be worth contacting them to see when they are able to sell it to you.

It might also be available in some dark and dangerous places that we don't mention.
Thank you. Will follow up on this.

As for the dark and dangerous places, I have found a few, but obviously have to dig deeper. And I believe in copyrights, I really do, but when no one's willing to sell me the book on the up and up anyway and I already have a DTB copy as it is, I find my ethics get a little wobbly.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #947
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thought I would mention this course I found on iTunes U: Critical Reasoning for Beginners from Oxford University. It's an analysis of the structure of logical arguments that we all use in everyday life. I find it fascinating, though a bit hard to follow: it's a recording from a live course, and there are exchanges between the teacher and the students but unfortunately you can't hear what the students say, so it's a bit frustrating, but still very interesting.

I just noticed that the website has videos, whereas iTunes U only has audio, plus a pdf file of the slides. Maybe it's easier to follow with the video...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #948
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
but can't we all just get along???

(thanks Florence!)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #949
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
History of Philosophy fans might also like to check out the "History of Philosophy - No Gaps" at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanit...oppodcast.html .
It's a very clear and concise series of talks, in depth but not too technical. Peter Adamson, the speaker, is actually doing a complete series starting with the earliest Greek Philosophers and going on from there.
There is also another series put out by Oxford University called "General Philosophy". These are both available on ITunes. Interesting that a lot of these programs rate highly - could ebook distributors please note that a lot of us actually like some serious content. (And we'd also like it in EPUB, not just PDF.)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #950
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you. Will follow up on this.

As for the dark and dangerous places, I have found a few, but obviously have to dig deeper. And I believe in copyrights, I really do, but when no one's willing to sell me the book on the up and up anyway and I already have a DTB copy as it is, I find my ethics get a little wobbly.
The Hong editions from Princeton Univ. Press are really really good...worth buying the actual book instead of the ebook if you can't find them.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #951
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Thought I would mention this course I found on iTunes U: Critical Reasoning for Beginners from Oxford University. It's an analysis of the structure of logical arguments that we all use in everyday life. I find it fascinating, though a bit hard to follow: it's a recording from a live course, and there are exchanges between the teacher and the students but unfortunately you can't hear what the students say, so it's a bit frustrating, but still very interesting.

I just noticed that the website has videos, whereas iTunes U only has audio, plus a pdf file of the slides. Maybe it's easier to follow with the video...
And here is an interesting complement to the above course: Standford's entry on Aristotle's logic, which is probably worth a thorough and careful reading, so I'll try to get back to it later when I'm not at work
Old 12-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #952
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
History of Philosophy fans might also like to check out the "History of Philosophy - No Gaps" at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanit...oppodcast.html .
It's a very clear and concise series of talks, in depth but not too technical. Peter Adamson, the speaker, is actually doing a complete series starting with the earliest Greek Philosophers and going on from there.
There is also another series put out by Oxford University called "General Philosophy". These are both available on ITunes. Interesting that a lot of these programs rate highly - could ebook distributors please note that a lot of us actually like some serious content. (And we'd also like it in EPUB, not just PDF.)

Ta for the link...looks interesting... also ... I like the BBC's In our Time series..some great shows on philosophy there as well...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #953
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice links.....so much to read and learn....so little time....
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #954
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Thanks for that. iTunesU is fantastic, and all the courses are free. It enables someone like myself, whose only physical classroom experience in higher education was in a local community college, to state truthfully that their education comes from Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, et.al.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #955
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for that. iTunesU is fantastic, and all the courses are free. It enables someone like myself, whose only physical classroom experience in higher education was in a local community college, to state truthfully that their education comes from Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Oxford, et.al.
Yes, this has been one of the best "upsides" of the internet. I am lucky to be able to attend an excellent university here in Adelaide, but we are a long way from Europe or USA and it's nice to feel part of the wider academic world. Despite the best efforts of our education system it can still be hard for someone living in a tiny country town to get the same education as their city counterpart. (and of course some of the small country towns in Australia can be very remote, 300 km or more to any even moderate size town!). A huge thanks to the universities who provide this content.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #956
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But, but, but....doesn't everyone's education come from et.al.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #957
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Yes, this has been one of the best "upsides" of the internet. I am lucky to be able to attend an excellent university here in Adelaide, but we are a long way from Europe or USA and it's nice to feel part of the wider academic world. Despite the best efforts of our education system it can still be hard for someone living in a tiny country town to get the same education as their city counterpart. (and of course some of the small country towns in Australia can be very remote, 300 km or more to any even moderate size town!). A huge thanks to the universities who provide this content.
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But, but, but....doesn't everyone's education come from et.al.
Most of mine comes from hard knocks, questionable late night talk shows, and et cetera.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #958
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Apologies if this has been mentioned in the previous 63 pages ....

For fans of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, there is a sort of "sequel" (or at least follow up book):Zen and Now: On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I listened to it as an audiobook, for the travel narrative aspect, although I never read Pirsig's book.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #959
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned in the previous 63 pages ....

For fans of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, there is a sort of "sequel" (or at least follow up book):Zen and Now: On the Trail of Robert Pirsig and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I listened to it as an audiobook, for the travel narrative aspect, although I never read Pirsig's book.
I've seen that before, and am quite interested in it, having read Pirsig's book a few times. Thanks for that.

However, Pirsig himself actually has a "sequel" of sorts himself, called Lila: An Enquiry Into Morals (<---wikipedia linky).

Again, thank-you for reminding me about the On The Trail book.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #960
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

I finished watching the course tonight. I would recommend it heartily. It has been more useful that I expected, in helping me analyze arguments here and elsewhere on the web. Most of it is stuff I already use all the time, but it's great to lay it out, take it apart and see how it actually works.

And now I am reminded of that link on Aristotle I posted earlier. I never did read the article...

Tags
philosophy, plato