Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Do you have a ritual for ending a book?

I don't know if it's a ritual but I always try to leave the very last few pages until I am in my bedroom. I don't know why, but it seems that it's the most comfortable place to end a story at. I have 47 pages left of "Before I go to sleep" and really want to end it later tonight at home instead of completing it while commuting.

So what do you tend to do just before you end your book? Or do you just finish it and pick another one?
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No ritual. Today I finished a book in the park. The beauty of ereading - I went straight on to another one.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Same here,no ritual. I just finish wherever I happen to be. That's usually at home, but it doesn't have to be. This weekend it was sitting in a starbucks having a cup of coffee.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I put my Kindle down, go and mark the book read on Goodreads and leave a review.

That's about the only "ritual", or rather "the thing I always do upon finishing a book".

I only read at home and only when I'm awake - in the evenings, but never when I'm already in bed and preparing to go to sleep.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I sometimes used to do what arturg does when I was reading paperbacks so I wouldn't be stuck on the subway with nothing to read. But now with ereaders that's never a worry, just jump to the next book.

I do always delete finished books from my ereader, and mark them in Calibre with the date finished next time I'm at my PC. After decades of reading, it can start to get fuzzy if I did read a book or not (although to date, I've always remembered correctly, but I want to be prepared for senility ).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I hit the home button on my Kindle, then open up the "A'readin' now" collection and remove the book from that collection and add it to the collection for the current year (2014 right now). I then go to the next book I'm interested in reading, and add it to the "A'readin' now" collection and start to read.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Alexandra@Berlin
Alexandra@Berlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook 1st Edition
Interesting topic I've never really given much thought until now.

Whenever I get close to finishing a good book while commuting, I usually squeeze a different read in between (or stop reading altogether) in order to save the final ~20 pages until I'm back at home. Especially when the topic at hand most likely calls for a box of tissues at the end - I just can't have public transport get in my way of a hearty sob...

Other than that I rate and mark the finished book as read on Goodreads as well, decide which book to put on the reading shelf next and go on reading.

I'm currently thinking about making myself pause for a few hours upon finishing a book, though, as there's one thing that really bugs me:
Ever since reading so excessively thanks to my eReader(s), I seem to forget books (certain scenes, details, or even endings) more easily / quickly. When on book number 3 or 4, I need to sometimes concentrate really hard to remember how book no. 1 ended, etc.

A friend of mine attributes it to growing old, but I think it's more of a nonstop-reading issue.
I read more now than I used to as an adult and probably as much as I used to when I was a kid and could remember what I'd read for ages. Back then, however, I would not go right on to the next book but would have to find the time to go to the book store or the library first and consequently be without reading material for at least a few hours.

So I'm guessing (might be wrong) that back then the finished books simply had more time to "sink in" as compared to now that I'm turning the last page and opening the next book right away...

No matter how much I love to read, maybe I'm just one of those people who need to pause every now and then in order to be able to fully appreciate a book.

Which brings us back to the rituals:

The final ritual for a book I really (REALLY) liked and will definitely read again more than once or twice during my lifetime would be to buy the paperback version to keep in my bookcase and maybe lend to friends and family who aren't ereading yet.
Alexandra@Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've never thought about it before now, but if I am reading in the evening and am getting near the end of the book, I do the same as arturg. However, I don't read on my commute, and by far my favourite place to read is in my bed before going to sleep.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Ha ha, my "ritual" is kind of the opposite of the OP's. I don't like to end a book when I'm in bed. Because what if I'm too tired to start a new book, but not tired enough to go to sleep yet? I can't take the chance. So if I only have a few pages left in a book, I will look for another book while I'm still fully awake, and leave the ending of the first book for the next day.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I hit the home button on my Kindle, then open up the "A'readin' now" collection and remove the book from that collection and add it to the collection for the current year (2014 right now). I then go to the next book I'm interested in reading, and add it to the "A'readin' now" collection and start to read.

Shari
I also move my just finished book to "Read in 2014" collection from "Reading now". Only difference is I will take a few days break to digest the just finished book and acquire taste for another. I don't immediately start.

I love reading in bed but if I have a few pages left I will finish it in my room and take tablet to bed to surf. And I read eveywhere too. Commute is much nicer while reading.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My ritual for ending a book is to open the next book I plan to read and start reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
No ritual for me. I just finish the book and move on to the next one.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
If the book is only OK, there is no ritual for me. If the book is really good and I don't want it to end, I begin to read the last few pages more slowly, taking the time to savour the end, and when it's over I sigh and sit in meditation for a minute or two on the story or how good the book was, and then, as Loretta Castorini might suggest, I snap out of it and continue on with life.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I used to do like the OP with paper books. Sometimes if reading in bed I would skip to the end if close. Usually I would finish the book from where I skipped the next day, but for some reason I found it easier to sleep knowing the ending.

Not so with ebooks. I will read until I want to stop reading and just stop. Mid page, mid chapter, doesn't matter.

Another strange thing I do with ebooks and never did IIRC with paper, when I finish a book I almost invariably start a new one. I think it is because I have so many choices where with paper I had only a small stack of maybe twenty to choose from generally. I like to get the decision making process out of the way.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Throw it on the fire to keep warm. It's been a cold winter.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote