Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
"SugarSync Free Plan Expiring"

Anyone else got an email about the expiration of SugarSync's free plan?

I got the following email from them this evening:

Spoiler:
Important: SugarSync Free Plan Expiring

Dear "User",

Thanks for using SugarSync. We wanted to let you know that beginning on February 8th, 2014 we will transition to a paid service. In order to continue using SugarSync you will need to upgrade your account.

Making this change is something we’ve planned for a while. It will allow us to serve you better and add features that will help SugarSync users get more from the service.

As a loyal SugarSync user, we are offering you a 75% discount on any Annual Plan for the first year. Plans start as low as $18.75 for our 60GB Plan. This offer is valid through December 16th.

Upgrade Now

When you upgrade, you will be able to back up and access all of your files with the additional storage. Also, in the event your computer is lost or stolen you can remotely erase your SugarSync data on the device, a new feature only available when you upgrade your account. Finally, we will be releasing completely redesigned apps and more features in 2014.

Thanks again for your interest and support. We look forward to serving you even better as we take the next step.

Best regards,
The SugarSync Team

I don't use SugarSync nearly enough to ever consider paying for it so I simply deleted my data. I don't see anywhere on their site where I can delete my account as well; may have to send them an email about that.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Yes, I got that same email today. Like you, I don't use it enough to even consider paying for it. I will delete my skimpy data from that account and delete sugar sync from my devices. Not sure about what else to do to completely delete the account...I guess they will do that when I don't update??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Sugarsync - Free No Longer

I just received an email from Sugarsync saying they will no longer be a free service starting sometime in '14. So I went to tech-crunch and found this article:

Tech-Crunch Article

Time to invest in a multi-terabyte drive I guess...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'll be uninstalling it from everything.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'll be uninstalling it from everything.
On the up side, one less app hogging resources, right?
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

duplicate thread here in News:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228903
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I never assume that a free cloud storage will remain free. And I'm still not sold on cloud storage. USB drives are dirt cheap and I know I can access my files whenever *I* want them.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Got the same email

I don't use the service much as there are free cloud services

Account has now been deleted
paulsalter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I never assume that a free cloud storage will remain free. And I'm still not sold on cloud storage. USB drives are dirt cheap and I know I can access my files whenever *I* want them.

+1.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
KaterinaM
KaterinaM began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
That's a too common practice now: at first it is free, later they start to charge for service... Will Google do the same eventually?
KaterinaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaterinaM View Post
That's a too common practice now: at first it is free, later they start to charge for service... Will Google do the same eventually?
They already did. At one point we all had like 200GB, and then they took it away.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They [Google] already did. At one point we all had like 200GB, and then they took it away.
I don't remember that. My recollection is that it was 5 GB to start with and is now up to 15 GB for free. Wikipedia notes that it was originally 1 GB and went up to 5 GB in April 2012.

I've also noticed that the amount of storage you get for the prices charged by Google has been increasing as well.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, maybe not 200, but there wasn't a limit. It just kept on growing. That's what originally won people over.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Huh. I haven't gotten my letter from them yet but I am just another freeloader in their system. I enjoyed their slight technical advantage over Dropbox (sync any folders) but they are hardly the only game in town. Microsoft has been improving Skydrive as well.

It does not seem like this will end well for SugarSync.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
It does not seem like this will end well for SugarSync.
They will most likely end up out of business.

I won 100GB of SkyDrive space for a year recently. So I'm good.