Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Google EPub error page

Hello,

I've been trying to help my wife get some of the free Google books on her new 650 via the Sony Reader Library software.

More often then not, when we select a book, we get a "Google EPub error page" error. Does anyone know why we might be getting this error? It doesn't happen for every Google book we try, just most of them.

One specific example where we're getting the error is for "The Hound of the Baskervilles". When we select the first hit for this book in the Sony Reader Library search of GOogle books, we get the error message.

Is it simply that Google Books doesn't actually have a copy of this for download?

Fortunately, we just discovered that mobileread.com actually has books too! We successfully downloaded Hound of the Baskervilles from here!

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,
slow

Last edited by slow1234; 09-26-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: added mobileread book comment
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Clark_ElMaSrY
Clark_ElMaSrY began at the beginning.

Device: none
yes please I get this message too . plz help
Clark_ElMaSrY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
icewyche
Dark Queen of Bibliomanes
icewyche has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
There are other free e-book sites that will get around the Google error message - www.manybooks.net and www.epubbooks.com are two of my favorites, plus there's an "E-Book Upload" forum on MobileRead. I've also found that books from these two sites tend to be mostly free of the errors and weird formatting that I've seen in the Google books; I think it's because the Google books are scanned in and the others are copied in by hand. Most of the books on my 650 are from one of these sites...what can I say, I love classics and I love freebies. Give them a try!

icewyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I got a "Page Error" message on my reader from an epub off Project Gutenberg (John Milton's Paradise Lost - EText# 20 and 26 both gave the error). I was mostly just experimenting with my reader so wasn't too concerned (I find such verse very hard going).

After discovering that both versions of the texts gave the error I used Calibre to convert epub to epub - and that fixed the problem for me, although it did change the layout on the screen slightly (but not enough to worry me).

PS. They are the only epubs off Project Gutenberg that have given me a problem so far.

Last edited by gmw; 11-20-2010 at 07:18 PM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Conzo427
Conzo427 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-650
Thanks for the suggestions, but does anyone know what the problem is? Why can't I get may free books via Google on the "Reader Library" I just want this to be EASY!
Conzo427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm not able to duplicate the error with The Hound of the Baskervilles. I just successfully got the book (first in the list after a search) on my 350.

Is your copy of the Sony Library software authorized? Are you logged into your account when you try to access the book?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I get the "Google EPub Error Page" error.

I'm logged into my Sony account, my PC and reader are authorized.

I can view the online sample, but get the error when I click on the cover.

I get the same error for both versions of Hound of the Baskervilles.

Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe brighter minds will come along and help.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I'm not a bright mind, just enough smart to not use the crappy Library software. Maybe I'm missing something, but you can download books from Gutenberg and from Google Books using the browser. I just did it (Baskerville & Paradise Lost) without problems.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
I'm not a bright mind, just enough smart to not use the crappy Library software. Maybe I'm missing something, but you can download books from Gutenberg and from Google Books using the browser. I just did it (Baskerville & Paradise Lost) without problems.
I too just download using a normal browser - and I was the one reporting errors with Paradise Lost.

Maybe it's a slight difference in firmware? I'm using a Sony PRS-650, under Settings/About it reports v1.0.00.08100.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I too just download using a normal browser - and I was the one reporting errors with Paradise Lost.

Maybe it's a slight difference in firmware? I'm using a Sony PRS-650, under Settings/About it reports v1.0.00.08100.
I got the same error too and have the same firmware version. I think is a problem with the epub itself. Two days ago, I downloaded a wikipedia article and converted it to epub with Calibre. I could read one or two pages before my reader froze. It only resurrected after a soft reset.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote