Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Hevelius
Hevelius began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book 360
Calibre & Pocketbook 360

Hi, I've just installed calibre (Win 7) and was wondering what device I should set it to as the Welcome wizard does not give an option for the 360.

I seem to recall another post on this forum mentioning you could set it as a Bokeen, but there are two devices for the Bokeen.

Will either of the Bokeen devices work or should I leave it as default (which might mean less optimal formatting?)?

Thanks.
Hevelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Bookeen Opus should be a close match.
But in reality pretty much anything should work fine; remember, you get to define your presentation.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Drseltsam
Connoisseur
Drseltsam began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
I think I didn't choose anything in the Welcome wizard because I didn't had a PB at this time. When I first connected my PB 360 and opened Calibre it just recognized the device as a PB 360. Good work from the Calibre Crew!
But I'm using Mac, perhaps this makes a difference here.
Drseltsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Calibre recognizes the PB360 by name on the PC, too.

That, however, is a matter of communication; of identifying and keeping track of the PB360 folder structure (other readers don't have one) to track the location of onboard content at sync time. (And stuff like that; plumbing.) Its what, among other things, lets Calibre drop its news feeds and recipe-collected "ebooks" into the proper folders, even creating them as needed.

In addition to that identification, which is automatic for a lot of reader models, Calibre also lets you use a target platform, by name, when converting ebooks between formats. That is so it can set up the various defaults that some formats require, so as to produce a useful display. Depending on your input/output formats (say, hard-formatted txt or pdf) it could have an impact on things like margins, font-sizes, zoom levels... Stuff proper reformattable ebooks (lits, prcs, fb2s, most epubs) don't require you to worry about.

As long as your ebooks are in a reformattable ebook format, and DRM-free, FBReader overrides any hard-coding with your own preferences so the ebooks look the way you want them so the choice of target platform rarely if ever matters. And even then, most of the targets are 600x800 resolution 5-6 devices so it really doesn't matter much.
For most people, using Calibre with PB360 is purely transparent; you worry about the ebooks, Calibre and PB360 take care about the plumbing.

Two very good products that together move us a bit closer to ebook nirvana, no?

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-25-2010 at 08:10 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Windows Vista here. Since the last firmware update, my PB is recognized as a Pocketbook 360 by name.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Windows Vista here. Since the last firmware update, my PB is recognized as a Pocketbook 360 by name.
Yes, it's that simple. Please just update your Calibre, Hevelius.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Hevelius

Hi, I now have my device (actually a couple of days ago but until now I didn't even get a chance to look at it!).

I tried connecting with Calibre and the news stuff I had stored in Calibre gets sent to the device fine.

The problem is that none of the FB2 books that were on the device are shown in Calibre - it imported the German books that were in EPUB format but the English FB2 books do not appear anywhere.

I've tried reconnnecting, restarting the software, etc but I can't get Calibre to see any of the books that came with the device (I'm using the latest calibre downloaded yesterday - 0.6.45).

Anyone have any clues? Maybe I'm missing something obvious as a newbie.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Hevelius

I've just realised that the books on the device are actually fb2.zip files. Maybe that is why Calibre doesn't see them?

It's not the end of the world if I can't get those books seen by Calibre, I'm just curious why they are not visible.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevelius View Post
I've just realised that the books on the device are actually fb2.zip files. Maybe that is why Calibre doesn't see them?

It's not the end of the world if I can't get those books seen by Calibre, I'm just curious why they are not visible.
Calibre is not fully featured as far as FB2 goes, so this is a drawback that has to be claimed by Calibre. Sorry. There's no workaround available yet.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre doesn't support composite file extensions. .fb2.zip file will be seen as .zip by calibre, which is not an ebook format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote