Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Factory Reset Sends Me Back to 2.0 ??

Oh Kobo, why you treat me so bad?

Ok, first I get a message that says my disk is full and I need to remove some books. (This happened before the update to 2.14 and then again after the update when I added some books). I have a grand total of 131 books on my Touch?

I check the memory using the desktop software and it says I only have 25mb of space, or in otherwords I'm using 99% of the available memory.

I do a factory reset and check again before disconnecting and viola it says I am now only using about 40% or so of the available memory.

I disconnect my device (using the eject button from the desktop software) and restart it. It uploads the firmware & downloads my books.

Only problem is now I am back to firmware 2.0

So I synch again, once using the wireless, then using the desktop software and both times it indicates the firmware is up to date?

So, now I'm back to 2.0 and can't get my Touch to update to 2.14?

Anybody?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The 2.1.4 firmware has not been released to all devices yet. I believe that will happen tuesday.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 2.1.4 firmware has not been released to all devices yet. I believe that will happen tuesday.
But it was released to my device - I updated to 2.14 yesterday?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No idea then
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'm not sure there isn't at least some level of random chance in when your device gets it (aside from the base firmware differences). As much as it sucks to be back at 2.0, if you don't want to risk sideloading 2.1.4 I'd give it a couple of days to see if it shows up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I've been at 2.0 since the summer and have never been offered a firmware upgrade. I've tried to upgrade via the desktop and wifi for the last two days and keep getting nothing....
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
As much as it sucks to be back at 2.0, if you don't want to risk sideloading 2.1.4 I'd give it a couple of days to see if it shows up.

Ah, yet another test of patience
Old 10-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Ah, Grasshopper ... when you can snatch the update from Kobo's site, you will be ready...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
Ah, Grasshopper ... when you can snatch the update from Kobo's site, you will be ready...
I been ready ..I been willing ..what I ain't been, is able. But, I will persevere, at least until Tuesday .. or so it appears.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
You could sideload the 2.1.4 firmware like I did.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
fbrII
F. BluDevil

I tried several times and had no luck. I downloaded the package, unzipped the file, copied it over to the .kobo file, but then nothing loaded when the Touch restarted. Everything worked fine but the firmware remained on 2.0.

And, while I removed the package from the .kobo file I'm not sure my orginal memory issue may have been somehow related to my attempt to manually load 2.14 as the problem showed up for the first time not to long afterwards.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I tried several times and had no luck. I downloaded the package, unzipped the file, copied it over to the .kobo file, but then nothing loaded when the Touch restarted. Everything worked fine but the firmware remained on 2.0.

And, while I removed the package from the .kobo file I'm not sure my orginal memory issue may have been somehow related to my attempt to manually load 2.14 as the problem showed up for the first time not to long afterwards.
That's weird. Are you sure you have a proper (ie. complete) zip of 2.1.4? The two I have (from two different sources) are both 68.1 MB. But I haven't tested either so I couldn't tell you if that's the right number.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo
If you do a restore from the recovery partition (disco light on the top), you'll restore back to whatever is on there. In my case that was 1.9.14 (and then a subsequent OTA brought me back up to 2.0.0c).

A recovery from the recovery partition is a complete overwrite back to whatever is stored on there. If your Touch is a later Touch, it may be a 2.0 firmware.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
That's weird. Are you sure you have a proper (ie. complete) zip of 2.1.4? The two I have (from two different sources) are both 68.1 MB. But I haven't tested either so I couldn't tell you if that's the right number.
You are correct. I was using a faulty memory bank housed inside my head.

Quote:
A recovery from the recovery partition is a complete overwrite back to whatever is stored on there. If your Touch is a later Touch, it may be a 2.0 firmware.
Also correct, I tried another reset and skipped the desktop set-up and I had 1.9.14 or something starting with 1.9 (I was not paying that much attention). When I then synced with the desktop 2.0.0 was reinstalled again.