Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Read while you drive!

I picked up a Reader Touch a few days ago, so I'm browsing through the plethora of covers available to see if I can find out that jumps out as the right one for me... I came across this.

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...694&t_mode=des

The Proporta leather cover. Seems to be a sizable price discount out on it as well down to £25. But look at "People who bought this also bought... ". Yep, they also bought a device to mount it to the car windscreen, and a USB charger for the car.

What a wonderful idea! And I imagine it's fully compatible with those laptop/steering wheel mounting devices. So you could browse the web, read these forums, shop for eBooks while reading your books on the mounted Reader, all at the same time as driving!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I read while I walk in the park - but it's a foot path only and few are there with me. I do get weird looks, however. But while driving? I don't think so.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know about elsewhere, but that would be illegal in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I was going to get one but I was afraid it would interfere with my other driving activities.

Surprising Number of People Get It On While Driving
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/06...action-survey/
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know about elsewhere, but that would be illegal in the UK.
Same here, unbelievable!
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
It is illegal in a lot of states also. That mount appears to be for cell phones, so it is no worse than having a GPS mounted there. A lot of people use their smartphone GPS for their car GPS.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Just in case anyone thinks I am recommending it... of course I'm not. Please see the invisible sarcasm in the original post.

The actual mount itself is indeed fine, but buying it and mounting a book onto your windscreen is not
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
It should be unlawful here. "Texting" and using a cellular without hands free are both illegal, but commonly done.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-05-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: I plead ignorance, and I can prove it.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some of the stupid things I've seen people do while driving:
  • Reading newspaper/magazine
  • Reading printed map
  • Putting on makeup with assistance from rear view mirror
  • Shaving with assistance from rear view mirror
  • Sending text messages
  • Watching the kids in the back seat rather than the road

[SARCASM]Almost makes you miss the old days when people just drove drunk.[/SARCASM]
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Some of the stupid things I've seen people do while driving:
  • Reading newspaper/magazine
  • Reading printed map
  • Putting on makeup with assistance from rear view mirror
  • Shaving with assistance from rear view mirror
  • Sending text messages
  • Watching the kids in the back seat rather than the road

[SARCASM]Almost makes you miss the old days when people just drove drunk.[/SARCASM]

LOL ok it's not really funny, but it is funny in a sad way because it's so true. Love your avatar too by the way.

But you forgot to add eating to your list. I've seen people try to eat chicken wings, hamburgers and subs while trying to drive. It's scary what people do. This morning on my way to work I saw some dufas driving his SUV with his hatch up. ??? I thought maybe there was something sticking out the back end that I couldn't see and he had no choice. Nope. He was happily blabbing on the phone driving around with his rear hatch open. He didn't have a clue it was open.

Scary people on this planet!!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I read all the time while driving, its called audio books
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
As long as it keeps your hands free to text on your phone, smoke a durry, and hold a can of rum 'n' coke, it should be fine. You may have to adjust the font so you can see it without having to lean too far over.

Just don't put it too close to the portable DVD player, the light may interfere with your ability to read the e-ink.

Last edited by SneakySnake; 06-05-2010 at 11:38 PM.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
A hands free ereader for drivers...

SS, we could market that.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Watching TV while driving is the biggest danger here! Five times a year; the four Sumo tournaments and the week of the High School baseball tournament. At least with a book reader you cans still keep your hands on the wheel if not your mind on your driving. With Sumo and baseball you need your hands to root and cheer for your favorite!

They sell windshield mounts, dashboard mounts, even pedestal mounts for all devices so a driver can have several different devices going at once. Makes one feel really safe on the roads...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Now, please understand me as I mean no offense, but I was behind someone driving the other day who was having a conversation with their passenger in sign language. That seems rather hazardous, but then I can barely talk to someone and drive at the same time safely, as I am soooo not multi-task capable. Although singing in the car gives me no trouble what-so-ever. I think because it sort of relaxes me. Now, it might be hazardous to other drivers... I keep the windows rolled up. But I have received strange looks when I remained in my car in the parking lot until the song was finished, which leads me to believe that having the windows up is not entirely sound-proof.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote