Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
LoppyThug
LoppyThug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Formats

So, I know .asz is the kindle format, but can it read other formats? If not, is there a way to make it do so?
LoppyThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The .azw files are identical to MOBI (.mobi or .prc). If any ebook is DRM-free (not encrypted), Calibre can convert it to MOBI for you and the result will be readable on the Kindle.

The Kindle also reads text files and PDFs, and you can email some other formats to Amazon for conversion.

See Kindle HowTo: File Conversion. I suggest Calibre over these options, but they all work (and all convert documents to the MOBI format).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
LoppyThug
LoppyThug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks so much! Also, I happen to *really* hate the layout of my Kindle- is there other software I can get?
LoppyThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Kindle also reads text files and PDFs, and you can email some other formats to Amazon for conversion.
FYI: Kindle 2 reads PDF, Kindle Classic does not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
The Kindle can also read HTML files that have been renamed with a TXT extension - with much of the HTML formatting intact. Very useful for reading downloads from Project Guthenberg, for example.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoppyThug View Post
Also, I happen to *really* hate the layout of my Kindle- is there other software I can get?
If you mean how text appears on the screen, I am not aware of any alternative. It is a "feature" of the Kindle that all ebooks look the same. Good if you like Amazon's choices, bad otherwise. There are hacks to change the font, but little else.

For maximum user-level customization you need a device running FBReader. These include the Hanlin V3 (using OpenInkPot firmware), the PocketBooks, and the Onyx Boox 60 (Bebook Neo). Note that FBReader is for DRM-free ebooks only.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote