Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Question Replacing screen

Dropped the T1 on holiday onto a tiled floor.. diagonal crack.. reader still working but only the lower half diagonal part of the display refreshes.. So its "donald".

I've found some replacement screens on ebay at around 30 GBP, and managed to take the back off (with some slight damage - probably needs a better tool than a screwdriver and fingernail). I am reasonably skilled at electronic soldering from 30 years ago, and have a 50% success rate on cameras and mobile phone replacements (but they were cheaper, less risk)

If anyone has replaced a T1 screen, is it straightforward or not? i.e. Is it worth attempting a repair?

(Looking at the insides of the T1 its a beautiful piece of engineering, and battery replacement looks feasible btw - 3 wires to solder)
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
satbeginner
satbeginner began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Hi,

I found the service manual (with in detail description how to open it : ) here:

http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...0989329901.pdf

I opened mine, and it looks as if the screen has a connector to the board.

Succes!!
satbeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
I opened the back, undid all the tiny screws, and the screen frame, black support and circuit board comes loose but the (cracked) screen seems to be solidly glued to the chassis... (all still working whilst I disassembled it!)

I have no idea how to de-glue the screen to replace it, so its looking like landfill beckons

:-(
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Try sending a PM to Analoggab as apparently he/she has a T1 that is completely bricked but presumably the screen is OK.

If, as you say, you are fairly skilled at soldering it might be possible to make a working one from your innards and their case/screen.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Someone posted link to Sony repair manual in another thread. Ribbon cable from screen to connector is often used. Plastic splurger with hot air is often used to separate screen.

Search teardown phone, tablet, or reader should list relevant you tube videos.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t1 screen repair