Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Broken-Getting Replacement

So the screen on my kindle has gone haywire. It has a jubmle of information and it kinda looks like looking thru broken glass. A hard reboot with the power switch didn't fix it.

I called Amazon, had a CSR in less than a minute. I'd say in less than two minutes on the phone I had a replacement scheduled to be shipped overnight. It will arrive tomorrow (a Saturday). Kudos to Amazon for top notch customer service.

I've got a bunch of books on it that I acquired...ah...elsewhere with no DRM. Should I remove these books? Does Amazon care?

I just checked and I can still access the kindle via windows explorer and Calibre.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It has a jubmle of information and it kinda looks like looking thru broken glass.
That's because that's exactly what you're doing... looking at it through a broken glass substrate.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I've got a bunch of books on it that I acquired...ah...elsewhere with no DRM. Should I remove these books? .
Yes..
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's because that's exactly what you're doing... looking at it through a broken glass substrate.
It's kind of ironic that I got an eye exam today. With my glasses I have 20/20 vision, so it's definitely the kindle.

Unfortunately, I've got a decalgirl skin on it and I don't think it can be removed and reused. It would probably get all stretched. So if I want a skin, I'll be shelling out for another one.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Yes, I would remove or wipe out all content if I can. But I doubt they will revise it anyway.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
My K3 just suffered a similar fate. I just did a "Reset to Factory Defaults" to wipe it before sending it back. Uninstalling my hacks first.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
They may even wipe it completely anyhow. I'm sure that there's some nitwits out there that send them in with various hacks and such and all that happens is the device gets wiped.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
SylvieB1984
Enthusiast
SylvieB1984 began at the beginning.

It's great to see that Amazon doesn't make iy hard for you to get your Kindle fixed.
SylvieB1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Reset the Kindle to factory settings before you send it in.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I've got a bunch of books on it that I acquired...ah...elsewhere with no DRM. Should I remove these books? Does Amazon care?

I just checked and I can still access the kindle via windows explorer and Calibre.

If the books are free of all DRM, then you can just copy them onto your computer, then copy them onto your new Kindle. I THINK that if you copy the JSON file as well then your collections will copy over too (not certain of that one).

You're new Kindle is going to re-index them all though, so be prepared for that.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote