Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
How to stop Reader from loading Sony reader library

Have loaded the Sony Reader library on my wife's user section of laptop (win 7). On my user section of laptop I use Calibre to add her books and such. Every time I hook it up with me as user it asks if I want to install Sony Reader and set up as a drive.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
From the archives:

ruka has a solution for the usb launcher :

Okay, after a week of frustration with the auto-launching/auto-install partition, I sat here and figured out how to disable this read-only partition. I don't have the Sony software installed, as I use Calibre exclusively.

This does not require disabling a drive letter.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, and I own the PRS-300.

First, open "Computer", and then right-click your reader's drive letter. Left-click "properties". You're presented with a series of tabs. Click the "Hardware" tab. Choose "Sony PRS-XXX Launcher USB Device", then click the "Properties" button. This opens a new window, with a new series of tabs. Click the "Driver" tab, and finally click the "Disable" button. Finally, you will be required to reboot your computer. This disables only the Launcher partition driver, and does not interfere with normal USB operation of the device.

I wish I could make this work on the Mac!
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the information.

My only concern would be if it effects the loading of the Sony Reader for my wife as user on this notebook.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Since she already has the app installed, I would not expect it to be a problem. However, if it is, you would have to re-enable the driver.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
goldberry
Groupie

Tried to disable the driver but it is greyed out and not able to change it.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Just a thought but did you have the reader connected when you tried this? If a device isn't connected then its drivers may well be greyed out because it isn't present...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Tried to disable the driver but it is greyed out and not able to change it.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
anickson
anickson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS 300
When I get to the place where I 'could' disable the driver button, it's visible but not active- in other words I can see it but can't use it. Any further suggestions?
anickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anickson View Post
When I get to the place where I 'could' disable the driver button, it's visible but not active- in other words I can see it but can't use it. Any further suggestions?
elcreative
Quote:
Just a thought but did you have the reader connected when you tried this? If a device isn't connected then its drivers may well be greyed out because it isn't present...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Well the drive letter would not be visible to see if the device is not connected.

The letter is assigned when you plug the reader in with the usb.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickson View Post
Astra's got a good idea. Sorry, but we're still on WinXP at work, so I can't really dig much further.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Is there a way to stop this from happening?
G, You might try <msconfig> and setting Sony Reader Library not to start up when booting.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
lost66615
Enthusiast
lost66615 doesn't litterlost66615 doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx
dont use sony library it is rubbish but if using change to manual load or to calibre ebook management i had to sony and the original software is slow

Last edited by lost66615; 09-17-2010 at 09:33 AM.
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote