Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
More smartphone readers then tablets?

This seems hard to believe, but according to this

http://www.teleread.com/smartphones/...popular-is-it/

More people read ebooks on smart phones then on tablets. Sure I could see that dedicated e-readers are a falling off trend, but I would have expected them to be replaced by tablets not smart phones?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I use a five inch hybrid.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Many people will read an ebook while waiting for something, and so things they'd already have with them help further that along.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Many people will read an ebook while waiting for something, and so things they'd already have with them help further that along.
Certainly true for me. I have the smartphone with me when I'm out, and only occasionally carry the reader.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It may be that the reason is that relatively few people are sufficiently dedicated readers that they'd want a tablet or an eInk device for reading on, but a much larger number of people who use a Smartphone will occasionally read on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I know I'm in the minority, but I think tablets are a huge waste of money and effort. They just aren't for me, so I read primarily on my nook and read on my phone when I'm out and about and waiting on something.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
It depends how they define reading, of course. I read many, many (web) pages more text on my tablet than on my phone, but I never read fiction on my tablet (I reach for my Sony PRS-650). I do, though, occasionally read fiction on my phone, if I'm out and about.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
This seems hard to believe, but according to this

http://www.teleread.com/smartphones/...popular-is-it/

More people read ebooks on smart phones then on tablets. Sure I could see that dedicated e-readers are a falling off trend, but I would have expected them to be replaced by tablets not smart phones?
Can I ask why specifically you find it hard to believe? The article appears to cover most of the reasons. With ~1 billion always-with-you smartphones sold in 2012 Vs ~100million often-at-home tablets, it's hardly surprising that phones have an edge. If you look at the existing base it's going to be even more skewed.

it would have been more useful to see a breakdown of reading preferences amongst those who have all three options (phone, tablet, reader) available to them - I often read on my phone because it's a bit more convenient for 15 mins on the train now and then, but for a 'proper' read my PRS505 is much nicer.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
My Galaxy Note actually has a bigger screen than my Sony PRS-350. It is always with me, covers both mobi and epub. Keep a copy of my library in the Cloud so I can open a book anytime, anywhere I want. Doesn't really get much more convenient than that. But for longer reading I do prefer the eInk devices for my eyes, yet the phone is conveniently close if I'm waiting for someone or something.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
Can I ask why specifically you find it hard to believe? The article appears to cover most of the reasons. With ~1 billion always-with-you smartphones sold in 2012 Vs ~100million often-at-home tablets, it's hardly surprising that phones have an edge. If you look at the existing base it's going to be even more skewed.

it would have been more useful to see a breakdown of reading preferences amongst those who have all three options (phone, tablet, reader) available to them - I often read on my phone because it's a bit more convenient for 15 mins on the train now and then, but for a 'proper' read my PRS505 is much nicer.
Because I have a tablet, a nook, and a phone. I could not imagine choosing my phone to read on verse my nook. I can see the argument that e-readers are a dying breed (see kindle fire, and nook tablet for where that market is going) but reading on a 3-4" screen vs a 7inch screen just seems odd.

Its one thing to read a quick text/tweet/email... and a different thing to read a good novel. IMO.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Because I have a tablet, a nook, and a phone. I could not imagine choosing my phone to read on verse my nook. I can see the argument that e-readers are a dying breed (see kindle fire, and nook tablet for where that market is going) but reading on a 3-4" screen vs a 7inch screen just seems odd.

Its one thing to read a quick text/tweet/email... and a different thing to read a good novel. IMO.
I have three e-ink readers (and actively read on all of them), but I don't carry them around with me. If I'm out and about and want to read, it's on my smartphone. I don't read at all on my tablet, unless I'm at work and my ebook reader that I use for lunch isn't charged. (I'm having charging issues with it, which is why I started carrying the iPad back and forth. I suppose I should just give up on that particular e-ink reader, but I don't want to.)

I save the good novels for at home; on my phone I read on books that don't require a lot of attention to detail. I don't read as constantly when I'm away (which is why I don't usually carry around a dedicated reader) and may have too many breaks in my reading or concentration when I read on my phone to pick something that isn't light and fluffy.

With that all said, I can see why more ebooks would be read on smartphones. I've seen where people said they use their smartphones more for catching up on blogs or news, but I find with my phone, ebooks load up faster than anything "live" and I end up using all my time waiting for any news app to come up only to end up shutting it down right away before I've had a chance to look at anything. It works better for me to load up a book whenever I have a few minutes.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 09-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The smart phone is like a Swiss Army Knife.

eReader, phone, camera, web browser, calculator, notepad, etc. Like the Swiss Army Knife, no one tool is the best possible tool for the purpose, but it is a multipurpose tool that is always in your pocket.

My DSLR is a far better camera, but I still take some shots on my smartphone because I don't always have my DSLR with me.

My Galaxy Note screen is 5.3" - comparable to some ereaders so I use it for ereading all the time.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
If a SmartPhone is like a Swiss Army knife, then the Galaxy Note is like a Leatherman Tool
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
The smart phone is like a Swiss Army Knife.

eReader, phone, camera, web browser, calculator, notepad, etc. Like the Swiss Army Knife, no one tool is the best possible tool for the purpose, but it is a multipurpose tool that is always in your pocket.
Very much agreed. It's convenience! But, I guess short stories may be suitable for this purpose.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Not so much difference. The phone I can have 10cm from my eyes when reading. My Kindle will not be as near. No practical difference in perceived size.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote