Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
dlanzarotta
dlanzarotta began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Angry Epub Apple issues and contacting apple

Hi everyone!

I love Apple, but they are driving me crazy! lol I'm hoping someone has had these issues before and was able to solve it.

Problem 1: Uploading picture books. They all passed ePub check, but Apple is saying there is an ePub problem, but not what it is.

Problem 2: Book being sold for a month and now pulled due to metadata issue? Any suggestions on what it could be?

Problem 3: Contacting Apple. Wrote them several weeks ago about the picture books and still no response...
dlanzarotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Have you read Apple's
Standard EPUBs Asset Specs and Delivery Guide
I haven't had issues yet but that's the first place I'd look
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
They should rename it to 'Apple's crippeled EPUBs Assets specs and vendor locked delivery guide'...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Have you read Apple's
Standard EPUBs Asset Specs and Delivery Guide
I haven't had issues yet but that's the first place I'd look
Thanks, Mark. Could you give a URL for it please? I did a quick google and couldn't find it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Welcome to the club, dlanzarotta! We are having the same issues. The silence from Apple support is deafening. We can't tell if the corrected files still have the same (or a different) error, or if they just haven't looked at them yet. This has been going on for months.

If you find an answer, please post here!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

@ wannabe: We have the iBookstore Asset Guide ver 4.5, which AFAIK is the most recent and definitive guide, but the items we have been gigged on are not covered in that document. They keep moving the goal posts.

BTW, there are several other threads on this topic -- so you and I are not alone.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
@ wannabe: We have the iBookstore Asset Guide ver 4.5, which AFAIK is the most recent and definitive guide, but the items we have been gigged on are not covered in that document. They keep moving the goal posts.

BTW, there are several other threads on this topic -- so you and I are not alone.
Apple keeps making things more and more non-standard and making it harder and harder for eBook creators.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Mark. Could you give a URL for it please? I did a quick google and couldn't find it.
Go to https://itunesconnect.apple.com/ and log in or open an account.
Once logged into your user controls, select "Deliver your content".
The "iBookstore Asset Guide 4.7" is the last item on the list down the bottom of the screen.

I just downloaded the latest 4.7 revision 3. I've attached it.

However, if you a reading this post any time in the future, ensure you get the latest version because this will be out of date quickly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf iBookstoreAssetGuide.pdf (1.50 MB, 5570 views)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
However, if you a reading this post any time in the future, ensure you get the latest version because this will be out of date quickly.
Way to go Apple! Keep moving the goalposts!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Way to go Apple! Keep moving the goalposts!
Yup, they've now got new spec's out to incorporate JavaScript (which was agreed to in the new epub specs if I recall) which can be used in iBooks and Nook Colour. But apparently only Apple will validate it for their store not Barnes & Noble. I read about it here.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
dlanzarotta

It is just... UGH! lol I had no issues with textbooks (until they took one down for Metadata problems?) My main issue is picture books. It is annoying how it says there is an error, but doesn't point you in any direction whatsoever... And yes, I have looked at the guides and all books came back from epub check with no errors. And then, of course, they have the 'contact' us when a new one is uploaded/error fixed, but there is no telling if anyone is actually getting those messages...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
wannabee
Media Bloke

Perhaps if you post the metadata someone here might recognise a problem.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
dlanzarotta

OMG! They finally replied! lol I'm posting the issues on here in case it is helpful to anyone... for the text book with metadata issue, it supposedly had a bad pub date. For the picture books, the page numbers were embedded in the page image and does not match ibooks' page numbers.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
st_albert
Guru

We've had a couple of replies trickle in over the last few days as well. After a month of silence.

Somebody in Cupertino must have gotten on the wagon.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
BlueFeatherWeb
BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'BlueFeatherWeb knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NONE
I need to keep up with you guys for sure,,, I am glad I found you, I am a publisher and I am taking on a HUGE project of textbooks (400+ pages, Indexing, glossery and toc and HEAVY images) This is a print text book that I need to convert to IPAD and in the future ADD video to it. We know how to convert plain text books for KINDLE and NOOK, etc but this is our first IPAD Publishing assignment. Files are coming to us IN PDF and resident files. What are your suggestions? BLESS you in advance for any help you can send
BlueFeatherWeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ibook, metadata page