Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Let's get started with Handstory...

Hi and welcome to the *new* HandStory section of turcic.com...

I will be posting an exciting tutorial soon covering how to automate your HandStory clips (and iSilo channels) from PC to the MemoryStick on a Clie by simply turning on the PC and cradling/cabling your Clie!

I hope you all will pitch in here with tips and tricks about using HS clips and especially how to create custom scripts. And I'm also working on adapting the WCC meant for iSilo channels into .hsc files or at least, some hints on how to make setting up a direct clip as simple as possible!

Cheers,
Gary
gvtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Forgive me for responding to this earlier post after having already responded to your later post. My earlier answer, oddly enough, contained a bit of an answer to the question raised here, an answer that comes from the HandStory developers themselves. I had written to them asking why I was having trouble converting both the NY Times and Comics websites posted here. Their answer was,

1) that since the NY Times site required a password, it could NOT be converted by HandStory since HandStory cannot handle password-protected sites; and

2) HandStory cannot follow offsite links as required by the Comics collection.

As I wrote earlier, I do not understand why you would use both HS and iSilo together. PDR
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
1) that since the NY Times site required a password, it could NOT be converted by HandStory since HandStory cannot handle password-protected sites; and
2) HandStory cannot follow offsite links as required by the Comics collection.
Not sure why they said #1, because I like my NYTimes clipping better in HS than iSilo (not the part about handling password-protected sites, which BTW, iSilo only handles partly). Will be posting that clip soon.

Haven't tested for #2, but that's likely in this version. I believe they will be addressing that in the future updates.

Thanks for your post!

Cheers,
Gary
Old 02-19-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Interesting. Just downloaded your posted NY Times site. I'll get back to you on which - iSilo or this one - I like better. I own both applications. You know this Times one works, so why indeed would the HS developers answer as they did? It's another example of what I have seen in other forums, that users sometimes know how to use the programs better than do their developers. BTW, as I posted in another forum, I am having trouble accessing all your posts. Do you have any idea why? One further note: I read in a number of languages, including some, like Russian, that of course use a different alphabet. I have been able to convert the BBC in Russian site in HS, but have had little success with doc format. With iSilo, OTOH, I am able to convert doc format. Do you have any experience with this? PDR
Old 02-19-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 19 2003, 12:16 PM
BTW, as I posted in another forum, I am having trouble accessing all your posts. Do you have any idea why?
No idea. Saw your post over there about it, maybe Alex can figure it out.

Quote:
One further note: I read in a number of languages, including some, like Russian, that of course use a different alphabet. I have been able to convert the BBC in Russian site in HS, but have had little success with doc format. With iSilo, OTOH, I am able to convert doc format. Do you have any experience with this?
None, unfortunately. (I'm a big help today, aren't I? )

Cheers,
Gary
Old 02-19-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist

I'm afraid I don't agree. I prefer the iSilo NYTimes, because iSilo is hi-res and provides color. Why do you prefer HS? PDR
Old 02-19-2003, 11:41 PM   #7
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by radleyp@Feb 19 2003, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid I don't agree. I prefer the iSilo NYTimes, because iSilo is hi-res and provides color.
At some point it becomes subjective...for pure text sites like NYTimes I like HS because it's a less cluttered screen, doesn't horiz. scroll, and it's as hires to me as iSilo (for this site). I don't need or particularly like the colored headlines and am content with a b/w text approach (for news). I don' t like autoscrolling (which exists in HS by name, but isn't autoscrolling). For other sites I like iSilo better...it just varies and is, as said, somewhat objective.

So I guess we agree to disagree!
Old 06-01-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
crh3f
crh3f began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie NR70V
I've been wondering about other differences between ISilo and HandStory...HS includes the ability to read memos, clips, etc...does ISilo have similar functionality?
crh3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 PM   #9
jfs01
Enthusiast
jfs01 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Clie TH-55
Don't think so, I believe iSilo only does webclipping...but it's been so long I don't remember. I use HS primarily for webclipping...love it...no complaints at all.
jfs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:55 AM   #10
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
Direct Clips

More info on Direct Clips would be great. I haven't tried scripting or WCC yet. Thanks.
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote