Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
Really struggled

Hi everyone.

I have just got my Kindle 4 NonTouch (silver) and I am a total newcomer for Kindle. Please DO NOT be annoyed by my silly questions..., as I really really need your help

I want to run the vnc viewer. But I am totally stucked and couldn't the tutorials : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434

I have Jail Broken my K4 (4.1.0). But I found it does not allow SSH access from putty.

Because of no SSH access, I think I suppose to install the USBnet first. For all the discussion about USBnet, it has a link : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1 However, I really CANNOT find how to install and how to use USB networking from that link.

I have searched/googled since 48 hours ago and I still could work this out. If you have any ideas, could you please give me some hints?
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I actually tried to install the USBnet just by copying the update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_uninstall.bin to my kindle folder and then do "update" on the kindle. Does this install the usbnet???? if so, how do I use the usbnet? what does it do?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcolor View Post
I actually tried to install the USBnet just by copying the update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_uninstall.bin to my kindle folder and then do "update" on the kindle. Does this install the usbnet???? if so, how do I use the usbnet? what does it do?
Is this a typo?
update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_uninstall.bin

If not, try:
update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_install.bin
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is this a typo?
update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_uninstall.bin

If not, try:
update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_install.bin
Yes, that was a typo. But, after I installed the usbnetwork, how do I use it on my K4?????
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The jailbreak simply allows stuff to be run.

Then one installs usbnetworking from the right thread

From there:

In a nutshell: The USB on the PC end needs an IP assigning to it.
This must match what is in the usbnet config in [/mnt/us/]usbnet/etc/config

being on a different subnet (192.168.x.blah) to your main LAN doesn't matter.
however the subnet of the PC (USB) IP and the Kindle must match.

192.168.blah.1 192.168.blah.2

or 192.168.yaddayadda.1 192.168.yaddayadda.2

(192.168.15.201 and 192.168.15.1 would be a "real world" example)

If you use windows it can be a bumpain to do the initial config on the PC but once it is done you should be golden.

EDIT: Don't mistake your main LAN's IP address as your PC side IP address for the USBNET connection... It isn't - to reiterate... you need to assign an IP to your USB0 connection...

Good luck.

Here is another way:
(Hint: SSH works just as good over Wifi.)

connect to wifi on kindle.

enable usbnet.

go to 411? or 711? page (IP INFO PAGE) find ip... (Typically 192.168.1.low-number)

on PC: (for windows use putty) on linux ssh root@192.168.1.the-low-number

you will need to press enter when prompted for pw (will be blank)

that should be easiest. Both ways (usb or Wifi) should work just fine

(That is a mail I sent recently)

Hope that helps somewhat.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-06-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed line that was superfluous after twobob's requested move of this post to the current thread.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi
cross posting is a pain, chasing you about giving you answers. : )

Let's just consolidate your thoughts on this to this thread and I will ask an admin to move my answer here from the other thread.

Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 12-06-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2332089&postcount=262
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hi
cross posting is a pain, chasing you about giving you answers. : )

Let's just consolidate your thoughts on this to this thread and I will ask an admin to move my answer here from the other thread.

Thanks
Hello Twobob. Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it. And sorry for the cross post, I am really really looking forward to solving my problem.

Now, I tried to follow your steps in your previous post. But I still failed. Here is what I did:

1> Jailbreak (I did the day before)
2> connect usb to my win7 PC.
3> copy "update_usbnetwork_0.46.N_k4_install.bin" to my kindle root folder.
4> "update" kindle. (it reboots itself).
5> go to kindle root. go to usbnet/etc/config. change ip to 192.168.15.1 & 192.168.15.201
6> create "ENABLE_DIAGS" in the root of kindle
7> restart kindle
8> go to Misc Individual ... -> utilities -> enable USBnet -> X
9> my win7 finds a device and installs a driver automatically.
10> win7 PC control panel -> network & sharing centre -> I see one more connection "Local Area Connection 3"
11> its properties shows it has a name "USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget#2"
12> change IPv4 to 192.168.15.201
13> now if I ping 192.168.15.201 from PC, it has a good connection
14> Run "Putty".
15> Host ip is 192.168.15.244 with port 22.
16> "network error: connection refused"
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Q1> If I do ipconfig/all. I see my wireless card in my PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.5

Do I suppose to change this to 192.168.15.1??? If I did, I would lose my internet connection. And the putty still does not work
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcolor View Post
Q1> If I do ipconfig/all. I see my wireless card in my PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.5

Do I suppose to change this to 192.168.15.1??? If I did, I would lose my internet connection. And the putty still does not work
The USB network device is a separate network connection that is completely independent of your PC wireless network.

The USB network whould have a device name that includes RNDIS. Each network device needs to be on a different IP subnet. 192.168.15.x is the IP network for you kindle and for the host PC RNDIS device. Some posts and documents suggest using 192.168.15.1 for the host PC, which is not recommended (even though it should work okay) because some of the kindle diagnostics require the host PC to be 192.168.15.201 and using anything else will just cause conflicting advice and unneeded confusion.

The kindle side of the connection is 192.168.15.244, and the PC side should be 192.168.15.201.

Do not change the IP address of your PC wireless connection.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
twobob

1 , 15 , 200 honestly it doesn't matter. It's effectively peer-to-peer (I think)

whatever number - just make them match and assign an ip to your usb or do it via wifi.

Honestly though, you should take the advice on checking with the original author about not getting locked out in your corner case (4NT launcher lack)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
twobob

I just read your description again...

I DID have one issue where my DIAGS actually cleared down my /var/local - but I only ever heard of one or two cases of that. It seems to me that your usbnet process is simply not running.

It doesn't run by default. it allows you to switch. However there is an auto flag. but before you do that. like I keep saying: Make sure you can AMEND THAT FILE via DIAGS or WHATEVER - as it will PREVENT YOU LOADING via USB (hence you cant amend the /usbnet/etc/config file)

So. To recap..

1) is the process running? I don't think so... some log output would be nice?

2) Should you autostart it? probably not until you are sure of 1)

3) Check with Niluje. It would be worth the wait.

HTH

Last edited by twobob; 12-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
1 , 15 , 200 honestly it doesn't matter. It's effectively peer-to-peer (I think)

whatever number - just make them match and assign an ip to your usb or do it via wifi. ...
Various scripts in the kindle assume that the host PC is 192.168.15.201, so it would be a good idea to use that.

However, that last octet can be almost anything, but not 0 or 244 or 245. Again, to avoid confusion, we should all use the 201 value that the kindle assumes is a host PC, just to avoid problems in corner cases. Some future hacks or jailbreak may depend on it...

And conflicting recommendations (192.168.15.201 or 192.168.15.1) just serves to cause potential confusion. This is confusing enough for beginners without adding conflicting or confusion advice.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
twobob

err well yeah by "it doesn't matter" obviously I also meant "use valid IP numbers" : )

right... well the hand holdy documentation wasn't enough. And this is my fourth attempt to answer the question. Now You say I am giving TMI? HEH!!!!

I take your advice however. But my adding to the confusion? possibly. but not much ; )
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I take your advice however. But my adding to the confusion? possibly. but not much ; )
I agree with your last comment based on an old proverb:
"If you don't know where you are going, any path will take you there."
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I agree with your last comment based on an old proverb:
"If you don't know where you are going, any path will take you there."
And if you don't care where you are, you are never lost.

I agree that any unused IP address in the same subnet COULD be used, but our information is already complicated enough for beginners to understand without adding different recommended IP addresses into the mix. I prefer that we only recommend 192.168.15.201, as used in various scripts in the newer Kindles if only to reduce the complexity and confusion for beginners who may not understand IP subnetting.

Another reason to use the host IP address that the kindle expects is that future debricking or jailbreaks on a locked-down kindle may depend on it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.