Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Nick Singh
Nick Singh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Is there a equivalent software to pdflrfwin.exe for the kindle ?

I'm a Sony PRS 505 user and very pleased with the reading experience.

I read techincal pdf mostly, but I need to convert them to lrf (proprietary format by Sony) via pdflrfwin.exe, which perserves the pdf layout and fonts, with the ability to trim off margins inorder to make them readable on the PRS 505.The resulting output file reproduces the pdf without a margin and reduces the need to adjust the zoom settings when reading.

I'm very tempted in purchasing a Kindle 3 due to constrance improvments and affordable price (wifi version).

Is there a equivalent software to pdflrfwin.exe for the kindle ?
Nick Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
AFAIK, the file format mainly used on Kindle (MOBI) does not have an option to have embedded fonts, so if you convert a PDF it would be displayed with the standard Kindle font.

Kindle can display PDFs, and there are softwares which you can use to just crop the margins, so this is a possibility as well (sorry, I don't remember the software names, but a search on the forum would definitely find them).

And, as a third option, you can convert a LRF to MOBI. You might want to take a look at the LRF subforum here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180).
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Nick Singh
Nick Singh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Thanks for the replay and info. I checked the mobi format section and I came to the following conclusion that I'm best leaving the techincal ebooks in pdf format and corrping the relavent pages to remove the margins in a pdf editor.

You are correct most convertors of pdf to kindle MOBI will remove the layout (reflow) and change the font.

According to some reports the Kindle is supposed to remove margins in pdfs.

". White margins of PDF files are automatically cropped.
Another quote from the manual. This is not necessarily true, particularly in landscape mode. I had some books that retained their margins in landscape, while others lost it and the print went right to the edge. I also had some files created as .pdf that retained their margins even in portrait. In one dictionary, the portrait mode showed print considerably larger than landscape. Portrait went to the edge, landscape retained the margins and indented the entire page. "

(www.amazon.com/review/R2F12TROV3ANLW)
Nick Singh is offline   Reply With Quote