Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #61
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I'm a bit concerned that they don't include which formats they support on the website or the press release. Bu they want of course to save some things for the official launch event on Thursday.

The press release does say

The Tech Spec page also talks about USB for side loading content. So you will definitely be able to use some items of your own. We'll have to wait until Thursday for more detail.
Indeed, it would be a big nuisance to do everything through "the cloud".
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #62
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
Might have to reconsider my Que buy for 2010. I hope the Skiff does not turnout to be vaporware
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #63
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks View Post
Might have to reconsider my Que buy for 2010. I hope the Skiff does not turnout to be vaporware
Do you have any idea what the Que will cost?
Or better yet what it should cost?

I think the Que and skiff will be $599 or more...
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #64
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Que details will be announced on January 7th. Presumably price will be announced then.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #65
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Wow, this reader has so far also the highest resolution of all readers I know. Would be ideal for technical literature or papers, which I have to read often.

Actually it is not as big physically as I thought (for the given resolution), I did a little comparison with my devices, printed out the image from the Skiff site to scale, see enclosed image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SkiffCompare.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	42829  

Last edited by DeReader; 01-08-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: replaced comparison image, size of Skiff was wrong due to a conversion error into the metric system, sorry!
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #66
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.X. Fort View Post
Do you have any idea what the Que will cost?
Or better yet what it should cost?

I think the Que and skiff will be $599 or more...
Probably around that imo. Apple tablet will probably come in at around $900 and provide a good newspaper reading experience (basically viewing the online newspapers and multimedia on a 10" screen). I'm waitin for the tablet then seeing what else is available in Feb (maybe a new kindle!).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #67
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
Wow, this reader has so far also the highest resolution of all readers I know. Would be ideal for technical literature or papers, which I have to read often.

Actually it is not as big physically as I thought (for the given resolution), I did a little comparison with my devices, printed out the image from the Skiff site to scale, see enclosed image.
Oh! Oh I WANT!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #68
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what size paper did you print that on?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #69
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
what size paper did you print that on?
It was printed on two DIN A4 sheets and then cut out and glued together. The Skiff is a bit wider than an A4 page (210 mm vs. 228.6 mm).

I got the dimensions from the Skiff specs page at http://www.skiff.com//skiff-reader_tech-specs.html:

Device Dimensions:
9 inches (228.6 mm) by
11 inches (279.4 mm) by
0.268 inches (6.8 mm)
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #70
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
excellent thanks.

When we have a good photo of the Que later maybe you can do another for it

edit- maybe this one will do? http://www.gottabemobile.com/wp-cont...asticlogic.jpg
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
So you think there are more Tablet PCs out there than ereaders such as the kindle?
I think two years from now there will be a lot more tablet PCs out there then there are ereaders such as the kindle. Not now, of course.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #72
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post

yes, in terms of total pixels sure it has more...but in ppi it's pretty much the same as all of the 6" panels at about 174ppi. So while the panel's total resolution is greater the resolving ability of the panel is no greater than a 6" device. And you actually want this because if it was otherwise you end up with smaller characters and graphics as those are typically set in stone and unless a page/book is setup to allow for scaling or designed specifically for larger panels, the results can be less than optimal. Same thing happened when UXGA LCD panels came out...all it did was increase the number of pixels but because pages are defined using pixel sizes for text rather than something that scales relative to the panel size, all we got was micro-text and a headache trying to read the content unless you lowered the resolution of the panel in the system settings.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Probably around that imo. Apple tablet will probably come in at around $900 and provide a good newspaper reading experience (basically viewing the online newspapers and multimedia on a 10" screen). I'm waitin for the tablet then seeing what else is available in Feb (maybe a new kindle!).
If Apple releases a tablet, it'll be not nice to use as a reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #74
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Apple releases a tablet, it'll be not nice to use as a reader.
unless they are using what many of us are overlooking...either the PixelQi panel or some similar panel with a full power off reading mode.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #75
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
unless they are using what many of us are overlooking...either the PixelQi panel or some similar panel with a full power off reading mode.
The PixelQi sounds interesting, but has anybody actually seen and used it? It may not be the answer to your prayers, as some believe. We need some real world experience to really judge it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote