Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
"an Internet [sic] was sent by my staff" - Sen. Stevens in the same "dump trucks verses tubes" speech.
So, he used the wrong word... or stumbled over a word. Are you saying you've never done that? If not, perhaps your not over 40 yet.

Do I think the guy is a technical wizard and PC power user? No. Do I think he knows the internet infrastructure is not literally a "series of tubes"? Yes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That explains a lot...

I think their problem is just the raw load of download activity on their servers at once.

This is just the kind of thing I was thinking of in another thread (here somewhere) about formats and delivery: If eReader sent purchasers one formatted file (like ePub) that they would then convert to their device of choice, they wouldn't have to worry about customers coming back and bombing their servers for re-downloads. IOW, they are experiencing the downside of their own proprietary, DRM-based system.

But hopefully they'll recover soon, when the initial surge is over.
A lot of people would not know how to convert. They just want to download and read, not be technical. And the conversion software would have to run on the iPhone if they were to take your suggestion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #48
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
BOb, Sen. Stevens came out with a speech designed to rally against Net Neutrality because he was bought and paid for to do exactly that.

In the end he only demonstrated his ignorance. And yes, I cannot imagine anyone with even a slight familiarity with the internet mistaking the word "internet" with the word "email".

From his public statements, I can easily imagine that Stevens thinks the internet works through tin cups and strings, switch boarded by cookie monsters.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #49
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
The release of eReader for iPhone and iPod touch is fantastic news for me, because for a while I've been using devices with smaller screens (WM Samsung, Nokia S60 phone) and so haven't been e-reading as much. My iPod touch is perfect for this and I've downloaded a bunch of my older books to re-read and I'm going to check out the latest selection. eReader have recently added a bunch of new Stephen King titles, so I think I'll head for those first.

Is there anyone else who's been away a while and gone back to it with this new version? I was surprised to realise I own over 80 books from eReader. I'm sure there are loads of people here who own more, but anyway...
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
From his public statements, I can easily imagine that Stevens thinks the internet works through tin cups and strings, switch boarded by cookie monsters.
He should ask Dan Quayle how it works - he invented it, after all .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #51
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I thought it was Al Gore?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, my mistake. You're right, of course!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yeah, Quayle was the guy who couldn't spell "potato."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't you mean "potatoe"
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Heh. I couldn't bring myself to type it that way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote