Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Is the Palm OS dying?

A recent article in The Washington Post raises a question that has been posed here at MobileRead for some time, "Is the Palm OS Dying?" Written by James A. Martin of PC World, the article includes quotes by several business leaders concerning their views of the future of the Palm OS.

It is interesting that he cites features that are missing from the Palm offerings (other than a long time since the last major update) and also identifies features in the Palm that are not offered by competing devices.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's already dead

As evidence, PDAMill is just one commercial software developer that has already started giving away the Palm software that stopped being commercially viable a long time ago:

http://pdamill.com/prod_palm.shtml
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Much as I like my Palm, it definitely feels like the OS is on life support at best; if not totally dead.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
To the question posed: Is the Palm OS Dying?

The answer is just one: Yes!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #5
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I thought it had already died
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
I hope they get into the eBook device business. Maybe that will give them a chance to survive.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
I'll agree that PalmOS as we know it (Garnet 5.4) is getting there. Palm are working on a Linux based OS for there next series or smartphones (that aren't WM based), I'm hoping this will put them bask on track as i am a fan of there software and hardware.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Yes, Palm is definitely dying. Once the Google Android phones come out, they are doomed, because they put all their eggs into the smartphone basket and then proceeded to screw that up too.

The light at the end of the tunnel for Palm users is that we may possibly get Palm compatibility on some new platform via ALP. You can already run ALP on Nokia internet tablets, for instance.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
The light at the end of the tunnel for Palm users is that we may possibly get Palm compatibility on some new platform via ALP. You can already run ALP on Nokia internet tablets, for instance.
That's what matters from a user's standpoint. I don't care about the OS as long as I can still run my apps including DateBk6.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
I'll agree that PalmOS as we know it (Garnet 5.4) is getting there. Palm are working on a Linux based OS for there next series or smartphones (that aren't WM based), I'm hoping this will put them bask on track as i am a fan of there software and hardware.
I'll believe it when I see it. That Linux-based OS has been in the works for years and years with no release in sight.

Palm could have had something in the Foleo; almost a year after they drop kicked it, Asus is selling the eeePC and Celio's Redfly is getting some positive press in the pilot program. They could have had both, now they have neither.

I can't shake the thought that Palm has been essentially rudderless for past few years, and I haven't seen or heard anything to change that opinion.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebook lover View Post
I hope they get into the eBook device business. Maybe that will give them a chance to survive.
That would be a really good use for the Palm OS. But I haven't heard any indication that they are heading in that direction.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Palm have been flailing since about 2002. First they spun off PalmSource, then they acquired the dev team from BeOS and announced a new OS, then the new OS tanked, then PalmSource announced they were developing a new-new Linux based OS, then Palm tried to re-acquire PalmSource and were beaten to the post by Access (a Chinese smartphone developer) ... it's an insane mess, with no less than four dead-ends along the way. And that's before we get to the Foleo (right idea, six months too early, too little horsepower, crap marketing plan).

All it'll take to kill Palm will be for Apple to get their second-generation iPhone out in time, with smartphone features like document editing (and it's rumoured that Dataviz are highly interested in porting Documents to Go to the iPhone platform). What it'll take for Palm to make a come-back is rather harder to discern (although I'm not writing them off completely just yet) ...
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
ACCESS is Japanese, not Chinese. And they develop software, not phones. Their NetFront browser is used in Kindle, BTW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Co.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I am quite excited to find out what Palm's got in store for Nova. I'm very interested in Android, too, but if Nova turns out to be anything halfway decent, I'm there in a heartbeat. I still love my Treo.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I still have my Palm powered Samsung i500 cell phone. I have extra batteries and a spare charger. I even have another whole phone available from a friend who moved on to a Blackberry. It runs the old Palm 4.5 OS. I have Mobipocket, Plucker, and Palm Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote