Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Baja
Baja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Benefit to Separate Covers & Metadata in OPF?

Is there any reason to save covers separately or store metadata in OPF files for Kindle users? Just wondering if there will be any loss in functionality if I export a single MOBI file and forgo the OPF & JPG files?
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Kindle book IS a Mobi file. All other files are extraneous.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
You won't have any problem. My Kindle does not contain anything other than the actual e-books, and I'm not aware that I'm missing anything.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The OP is probably talking about Calibre, Mike, in which, by default, when you save a book to disk, you get the eBook, AND the cover and OPF file saved (you can configure it so as not to save these extra files).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Baja
Baja began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yes, HarryT is correct. I should have clarified I was referring to Calibre's default setting of exporting 3 files: mobi, jpg, and opf.

Thank you for the quick replies!
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert